You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are we on the verge of a re-build?

Antynwa

With Mane looking likely to go, Salah contract likely to rumble on. Players aging and moving on, are we in the middle of a rebuild? The number of players likely to go including those who have gone, really does deplete the squad. Not to mention they're all getting older I.E Milner, Henderson, Thiago, Bobby

The historic front three would need to be broken up at some point, but its clear now this needs to be managed in such a way as to limit the immediate impact. With both Salah and Mane increasingly looking likely to depart over the next 12 months. 

What say you?  The Athletic Reported a while ago that this summer was seen as a transition one and I think this is likely to be the case, and I think reflects Jurgen staying on longer.

Could simultaneously be a bit mad and exciting this 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Isn't it more incremental change? The Mane and Salah positions have complicated things, though.

Agreed.

Mane and Salah are pushing 30, and Diaz doesn't belong on no bench. Elliot is gonna be pulling up trees too in the next year or two.

life-uh.gif

I think you're right @Antynwa . There was a little comment klopp made when he signed his new contract - something like "we're not quite were we planned to be right now as covid slowed us down for 2 years, so I want to finish the job" or something like that. I suspect he planned to rebuild the team before he left and that job is starting now and it is likely we didn't plan to get to a point where we are looking at so many players nearing the end of their contract (I don't just mean the high profile ones, the likes of Chamberlain, divi and milner being around), so my guess is the next 2 summers will be some type of rebuild and then klopp gets at least 1 full season with the team settled and stable before handing over to his replacement. 

We're not on the verge of a rebuld. We're in a rebuild. It's a chronic process. We've got two young keepers developing, we've got Doak at RB/winger, Beck at LB, Konate at CB, Morton in midfield, we've brought in Elliott, Gordon, Carvalho and Diaz. You don't bring them all in at the same stage, you test them out and keep assessing them, and you bring in others when and where it seems right, but there're no static/manic periods, it's an organic process when you have good management, and we clearly do. The best rebuilds happen without you really noticing.

I'd be happy to write off next season (partly) to get the re-build right. There's no need to panic and try to replace 3 of our front line, and two midfielders and right back cover all in one window (I know they won't do this anyway)

We need to keep the quality high, so bring in one top quality midfielder, one good young right back (the lad from Aberdeen) and possibly one top quality younger attacker in. We should still easily qualify for champions league with that squad. 

Then do the same next summer and give Jürgen 3 years to tear it up with the new squad

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Only the forum's beautiful people get onto the podcast.

This thread is for the plebs, like me.

Ha, ha, ha!!! “Beautiful people”!!! Have you met Monty?

The below is a line-up consisting of our younger players and if they all develop as we think they would, then it wouldn’t be too far off IMO. 

4-2-3-1

Kelleher; Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas; Fabinho, Jones; Elliott, Carvalho, Diaz; Jota

On 01/06/2022 at 11:49, Paul said:

If only there was a podcast where this discussion had begun…

How do you see Henderson’s role?

You've always been a big backer, but it seems more and more that Klopp doesn’t see him as indispensable. I still have him in our best XI, personally, as leadership is a unique quality.

On 01/06/2022 at 10:32, Antynwa said:

With Mane looking likely to go, Salah contract likely to rumble on. Players aging and moving on, are we in the middle of a rebuild? The number of players likely to go including those who have gone, really does deplete the squad. Not to mention they're all getting older I.E Milner, Henderson, Thiago, Bobby

The historic front three would need to be broken up at some point, but its clear now this needs to be managed in such a way as to limit the immediate impact. With both Salah and Mane increasingly looking likely to depart over the next 12 months. 

What say you?  The Athletic Reported a while ago that this summer was seen as a transition one and I think this is likely to be the case, and I think reflects Jurgen staying on longer.

Could simultaneously be a bit mad and exciting this 

This is a very Rawkian title and for that, you must be negged.

Starts like this, next thing you know, it’s full names in a player’s thread, then only Dave can post in the match thread.

No, I’m afraid that simply wouldn’t do.

You must be negged.

I’m also going to neg a few of your earlier innocuous posts, as the principle must be established.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

How do you see Henderson’s role?

You've always been a big backer, but it seems more and more that Klopp doesn’t see him as indispensable. I still have him in our best XI, personally, as leadership is a unique quality.

Yep. I think that he will continue to be a key player for us and five subs changes the entire dynamic of first team football in that regard. He’s not there yet but he’ll eventually assume the Milner mantle. 

At the first real time of asking Klopp has pretty much smashed squad rotation and so I expect it to become a key feature of the club. I also think, as I said on the pod, that it will slightly change our attitude as a club to players who are older than 30.

This is the first generation of players to have come all the way through during the academy and sports science era. Nearly all of them are teetotal and they are like finally tuned machines. We are seeing now in the elite players across the world (Messi, Ronaldo, Mané, Benzema, Kroos, Modrić, Salah, Lewandowski, etc) that footballers can be at the very peak - or thereabouts - whilst in their 30s. Add five subs to the mix and who knows how long these lads will play on for at the top level. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Yep. I think that he will continue to be a key player for us and five subs changes the entire dynamic of first team football in that regard. He’s not there yet but he’ll eventually assume the Milner mantle. 

Body language is obviously not a clear barometer of anything, really, but I’ve seen a few times when he’s been subbed early and he doesn’t like it.

He’s still a very good midfielder, do you worry he might think about moving to another big team where he could still be the guy? 

I’d be thinking that, in his situation, personally.

5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Body language is obviously not a clear barometer of anything, really, but I’ve seen a few times when he’s been subbed early and he doesn’t like it.

He’s still a very good midfielder, do you worry he might think about moving to another big team where he could still be the guy? 

I’d be thinking that, in his situation, personally.

Personally, I’d be more worried if he didn’t look pissed off.

And in terms of him wanting to move on, as long as Klopp remains here, I have no qualms whatsoever about anyone who thinks the grass is greener deciding to go. Pretty much every player that has ever played for him changes the trajectory of their career downwards once they’ve left. 

Furthermore pretty much every player who comes in to work with him improves exponentially and goes on to become world or near world-class. It might be a cliche, but everything hinges on Klopp. While he’s here, all will be fine.

And in terms of Hendo’s own position, I’d be amazed if he didn’t recognise all of the above himself. Throw into the mix that he is the club captain and well on his way to being the most successful captain the club has ever had and you have to ask yourself why he would want to leave.

He will continue getting at least 40 appearances a season for years to come in my view, so why leave that? He’s already a club legend; he could become one of the ultimate legends of the club though.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Paul said:

Personally, I’d be more worried if he didn’t look pissed off.

And in terms of him wanting to move on, as long as Klopp remains here, I have no qualms whatsoever about anyone who thinks the grass is greener deciding to go. Pretty much every player that has ever played for him changes the trajectory of their career downwards once they’ve left. 

Furthermore pretty much every player who comes in to work with him improves exponentially and goes on to become world or near world-class. It might be a cliche, but everything hinges on Klopp. While he’s here, all will be fine.

And in terms of Hendo’s own position, I’d be amazed if he didn’t recognise all of the above himself. Throw into the mix that he is the club captain and well on his way to being the most successful captain the club has ever had and you have to ask yourself why he would want to leave.

He will continue getting at least 40 appearances a season for years to come in my view, so why leave that? He’s already a club legend; he could become one of the ultimate legends of the club though.

He wouldn't want to destroy his legacy here either and as a result, I don't think he would go to a good English team. And I would guess the top European clubs wouldn't see him as a big enough name. So with all that, his choices away from here would be very much down. The only way I see him leaving is if he is only getting the sort of minutes milner got this year. I know milner finished the season with a reasonable amount of minutes, but he didn't play a great deal through the season, his performances often a late sub to come on and make a few fouls. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

He wouldn't want to destroy his legacy here either and as a result, I don't think he would go to a good English team. And I would guess the top European clubs wouldn't see him as a big enough name. So with all that, his choices away from here would be very much down. The only way I see him leaving is if he is only getting the sort of minutes milner got this year. I know milner finished the season with a reasonable amount of minutes, but he didn't play a great deal through the season, his performances often a late sub to come on and make a few fouls. 

That’s really unfair to Milner.

Sometimes when he clattered into people, he also won the ball.