You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

On 03/03/2022 at 17:01, sir roger said:

Yep. He's been brilliant and hardly needed any bedding in. We need him to start banging in goals and notching up assists now.

Like the new kid at school he is trying too hard to fit in . In saying that some of his passing to mo and Mane has been exquisite.  However he needs to take on more chances himself now.

He's not getting the opportunities in the box that Salah, Mané and Jota are able to find and manufacture. That's what he needs to improve, but it's pretty much the only thing. A lot of his shots are outside the box. Too many. It's not really about the finishing, it's getting in better areas.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's not getting the opportunities in the box that Salah, Mané and Jota are able to find and manufacture. That's what he needs to improve, but it's pretty much the only thing. A lot of his shots are outside the box. Too many. It's not really about the finishing, it's getting in better areas.

There is an element of that but he has been in some good positions and failed to find net....its a minor 'gripe' and its an admittedly small sample.

I seem to recall Suarez was less than efficient early in his time with us and he turned out to be half decent didn't he.

11 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I really like him but I don’t think I’ve seen him go outside a player yet.

Yep. Would like him to beat his man on the outside occasionally. It would make him more unpredictable. 

He is an exciting talent and a threat. But we do need to see some more end product between now and end of the season. 1 goal in 6 starts isn't earth shattering. Although to be fair, he has been unlucky with a few attempts.

6 hours ago, an tha said:

There is an element of that but he has been in some good positions and failed to find net....its a minor 'gripe' and its an admittedly small sample.

I seem to recall Suarez was less than efficient early in his time with us and he turned out to be half decent didn't he.

He's actually statistically shooting exactly as much as Salah per game in the Premier League thus far, which is a shit load. It's interesting, it seems like he basically has a green light. I think the difference is simply that he needs to get in better areas.

Salah and most attackers are at their best when they shoot in the box. Salah is most shit and frustrating when he's taking a bunch of pot shots. Diaz thus far is kind of doing that, which is unfortunate because every other part of his game has been world class.

I think there’s still an obvious need to develop understanding together which will lead to better chances coming in due course.

he roams away from the left wing way more than Mane does, or Salah does on the left, which gives us interesting options but makes it a bit hard to know where he’s going to be, what run he’s going to make off you, and how to find him.

I can’t remember how quickly Jota settled in, cause it feels now like he’s always been here now and my memory is crap, but as well as Diaz has played individually since joining, it’s clear he’ll be way more of a threat once he’s settled into the system and developed that understanding with his teammates.

it also doesn’t help that the striker during this time has been Mane, who doesn’t do for Diaz what Bobby (and to a lesser degree Jota) does to drop in and knit the play together.

I don’t think we could reasonably ask for too much more from him this far, but there’s more to come for sure.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's actually statistically shooting exactly as much as Salah per game in the Premier League thus far, which is a shit load. It's interesting, it seems like he basically has a green light. I think the difference is simply that he needs to get in better areas.

Salah and most attackers are at their best when they shoot in the box. Salah is most shit and frustrating when he's taking a bunch of pot shots. Diaz thus far is kind of doing that, which is unfortunate because every other part of his game has been world class.

As we said it is early, a small sample and a very minor gripe.

Just feels so far he has not yet shown his best when it comes to getting in great positions to score/burying them when does - but its certainly no big deal, he's only going to get better once he gets more understanding of how we play and more used to playing with the team.

Very early days. But he looks awesome at times, especially at full tilt. Great work rate, too.

There's a possibility that he may become our most exciting forward without the end product / statistical output of Salah, Mane, and Jota. It's fucking hard to keep buying players who produce those numbers, though - especially in wide positions... 

• 5 weeks later...