You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good god Rico do you have to defend every single little thing the government does? 

You are beginning to remind me of the fella in this clip, blue hard hat who appears (then disappears) on a cliff edge around the 2 minute 40 second mark.

Where the PM, here in this brilliant film, first saw the evidence of his claim was at a factory in Stockport. Draw your own conclusions.

• Upvote 1

This '10k for MPs' story is yet more predictable cynicism for sale from the lazy teenage scribblers of the British gutter press.

I work for an MP doing casework. As well as having to contend with what's going on out there like everyone else, every morning I sit at my kitchen table and have to go through a deluge of emails and voicemails from desperate people looking and even begging for help.

This money is actually for equipment for people like me to work from home. Our boss won't be claiming any of it in case we get lynched, so I'm using my own phone to call people. Luckily I've got a laptop and my wife has got a printer. 

In ordinary times when I'm in the office, we clean our own desks and for over a year I was taking my own Hoover to work for fear of any of it appearing in expenses and ending up in the Daily Mail.

Thanks to the demise of local press and slashing of council services - we are often the first, last, and only port of call. But the rest of the time when people don't need something your name is mud, and people will happily tell you to your face. I also have to think about my personal safety when I'm in public with him. (They actually offer you Krav Maga lessons as part of the job, if you can fucking believe that).

We have our wins, last week I helped two small businesses stay afloat by getting them some urgent financial support, and got a nurse some transport to take her to her hospital as the trains had been cancelled. Currently in the middle of trying to get a big company to sort out the working conditions after being inundated with contact from staff who don't feel safe there.

It's a tough job at times - a colleague has already gone off work with stress in the last week. 

I was already getting really pissed off with the negativity around this job from press and public, now this 'snouts in the trough' bollocks, our national press are just disgusting. They know it's not true, they just don't care.

• Upvote 16

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This '10k for MPs' story is yet more predictable cynicism for sale from the lazy teenage scribblers of the British gutter press.

I work for an MP doing casework. As well as having to contend with what's going on out there like everyone else, every morning I sit at my kitchen table and have to go through a deluge of emails and voicemails from desperate people looking and even begging for help.

This money is actually for equipment for people like me to work from home. Our boss won't be claiming any of it in case we get lynched, so I'm using my own phone to call people. Luckily I've got a laptop and my wife has got a printer. 

In ordinary times when I'm in the office, we clean our own desks and for over a year I was taking my own Hoover to work for fear of any of it appearing in expenses and ending up in the Daily Mail.

Thanks to the demise of local press and slashing of council services - we are often the first, last, and only port of call. But the rest of the time when people don't need something your name is mud, and people will happily tell you to your face. I also have to think about my personal safety when I'm in public with him. (They actually offer you Krav Maga lessons as part of the job, if you can fucking believe that).

We have our wins, last week I helped two small businesses stay afloat by getting them some urgent financial support, and got a nurse some transport to take her to her hospital as the trains had been cancelled. Currently in the middle of trying to get a big company to sort out the working conditions after being inundated with contact from staff who don't feel safe there.

It's a tough job at times - a colleague has already gone off work with stress in the last week. 

I was already getting really pissed off with the negativity around this job from press and public, now this 'snouts in the trough' bollocks, our national press are just disgusting. They know it's not true, they just don't care.

The prodigal son has returned to claim his rightful lot!

Welcome back, Big Man.

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yep.you are right on that particular point Stronts. 

I've now done a bit of further research and the results shocked me, I've been conned, Corbyn the trotsky terrorist has has been lining his own pockets and I was so fucking stupid and gullible I voted for him, 

Now this I believe IS true and I'm fucikng furious

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/politics/islington-north-mp-jeremy-corbyn-is-the-country-s-lowest-expenses-claimer-1-748369

£8.70 for a ink cartridge? What was he thinking?

Another myth, as it happens. I know, who would have imagined it.

https://medium.com/@moutajup/jeremy-corbyns-toner-cartridge-5a0d005a4c0b

From local MP;

Paula Barker has posted this statement regarding the extra funding available to MPs

I just wanted to address some information that is being misreported by some media outlets that MPs have been given an additional £10,000 to work from home. I want to say this is outrageous misreporting of the situation and I want to set the record straight for my Constituents.

IPSA (Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority) has made available an additional £10k budget if required to enable MPs and their staff members to work from home to continue to support their constituents through this very difficult time. This was a decision made independent of all MPs and was as I understand to enable the purchase of equipment for remote working if that was needed.

To date I have not spent any of this money and don’t foresee having to use it. However, if for any reason I do need to this will be fully receipted and accounted for as with all other budgets.

There is no provision for us to donate the money to the NHS or a charity or to increase salaries despite what is being reported.

During this time my colleagues and I have rightly encountered questions on this matter and I would like to thank those people who have done so in a courteous manner. Sadly, there are other people who post misleading, rude comments, abuse or threaten MPs.  Such behaviour in in my opinion is unacceptable. 

I would like to take the opportunity to thank my own staff team who are working incredibly hard to ensure we support all constituents in Liverpool, Wavertree. The volume of enquiries has increased exponentially as there are lots of people with many questions and complex needs which are being brought to our attention for help and support. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding and I sincerely hope you and your families stay safe and well.

Kind Regards 

Paula Barker MP

The natural instinct is to assume some self serving cunt MPs will abuse this system for their own benefit. 

Whilst it is lazy journalism, if there hadn't been history of members abusing their expenses there wouldn't a narrative here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Just so. I know how hard the large majority of MPs and particularly their staff - from ALL parties - have to work. It's a scandal that the media pillories them for claiming expenses that are essential for them to do their jobs properly, and disappointing to see people who should know better parroting this nonsense.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good god Rico do you have to defend every single little thing the government does? 

You are beginning to remind me of the fella in this clip, blue hard hat who appears (then disappears) on a cliff edge around the 2 minute 40 second mark.

What about those of us that are staunchly opposed to the current government but think this is a sensible idea?

11 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Just lazy bollocks.  They can claim an extra £10k for their office expenses. So MPs can buy laptops and printers etc to enable them to continue to serve their constituents. This goes nowhere near MPs pockets. But you probably knew that. 

And why would they need to do this ? Please explain

Prior to this £10k business I've only ever seen criticism of MP's putting frivolous or excessive costs on expenses, rarely have I seen criticism of reasonable, necessary, or essential expenses.

Admittedly there is a catch all general moan of "MP's and their expenses" which is probably unfair but seems to have been set off by said stories of some of the ones who were exposed for taking the piss a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Saying on Twitter that Corbyn has donated his to the nhs  if true it dosnt surprise me  bolshi bastard.

Right up there with the most cynical shite I've seen associated with him.  If that came from him himself, he should be ashamed. He's done NOTHING, yet the dumb fucks that love to rant and alienate people by the thousand are lapping it up and rounding on the "centrists" that raise the point that it's an expenses fund, not a personal account he can divert at will.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

If they’ve got a staff of 4 or 5 people then it’s not extravagant.  The money isn’t for them it’s an expense allowance.  If they have to buy a decent chair, desk,  laptop, printer, etc it’s not excessive at all.  If you work from home do you want shit kit or decent stuff? Why different for MPs staff? 

Who the fuck doesn't have a laptop or a decent fucking chair or a printer for christsake 10k ? Don't make me laugh 

Rees mogg wannabee

1 minute ago, elvis said:

It was the point sir

No it wasn’t, as you don’t have one.

It was a rant against an idea, a sensible one at that.

It would take two minutes to figure out that 10k to run an office of say 3/4 people, most will have more, is paltry after a month or two.

This probably doesn’t go far enough and neither do other policies. Like a few on here I see this at close quarters on a day to day basis.

It is possible to hold two opposing thoughts in the mind and not believe both, that’s the sign of intelligence that Aristotle put forward thousands of years back and most still don’t seem to be able to grasp that.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

No it wasn’t, as you don’t have one.

It was a rant against an idea, a sensible one at that.

It would take two minutes to figure out that 10k to run an office of say 3/4 people, most will have more, is paltry after a month or two.

This probably doesn’t go far enough and neither do other policies. Like a few on here I see this at close quarters on a day to day basis.

It is possible to hold two opposing thoughts in the mind and not believe both, that’s the sign of intelligence that Aristotle put forward thousands of years back and most still don’t seem to be able to grasp that.

That's today's winner of the "I've got a fucking high opinion of myself" sorted.

11 minutes ago, elvis said:

Who the fuck doesn't have a laptop or a decent fucking chair or a printer for christsake 10k ? Don't make me laugh 

Rees mogg wannabee

The bloke on this thread who actually works for an MP?  

There’s you and Gnasher that can’t understand this is a good idea.  Once more, for the slow kids. 

It’s not the government that decided this

Its an expense, not a gift

they can’t donate it

they must provide receipts 

14 minutes ago, elvis said:

Rees mogg wannabee

It isnt an idea by tories to benefit tories, you do realise that? Its an independent body that have come up with the idea to benefit constituents by helping mp's to do a better job. There are examples of why this is needed just a few posts up. Just because people you wouldnt usually agree with think its a good idea doesnt make it automatically a bad one

• Upvote 1