You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England Squad

WhiskeyJar

When you look at the squad, it's built to play for the fast counter. There are lots of athletes there where theoretically you could have success pressing and overwhelming the opposition with physicality.

I don't think the squad is bad, it's just suited for a certain kind of football. You just need the right manager to implement that, but England always seem confused as to what style they are supposed to play.

Weird one with this England squad, it looks championship quality at best in terms of ability, but I'll be rooting for them because they seem mostly like good lads.

By contrast, the squad of Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney et al had ability but were cunts I couldn't root for.

• Upvote 1

Weird one with this England squad, it looks championship quality at best in terms of ability, but I'll be rooting for them because they seem mostly like good lads.

By contrast, the squad of Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney et al had ability but were cunts I couldn't root for.

I agree with you regarding rooting for them but Championship standard? C’mon man...

When you look at the squad, it's built to play for the fast counter. There are lots of athletes there where theoretically you could have success pressing and overwhelming the opposition with physicality.

I don't think the squad is bad, it's just suited for a certain kind of football. You just need the right manager to implement that, but England always seem confused as to what style they are supposed to play.

I was thinking myself, the one thing that squad has in abundance is athletes. Just need to get to the knock out stage and take everyone to extra time.

It's a shame Zaha chose to play for the Ivory Coast. At least him, Sterling and Kane would provide some balance.

Fits Zaha perfectly being the big fish though. Apparently doesn't want to leave Palace. Must be nice getting good money with little pressure and a guaranteed start each week

If nothing else, I do admire The Guest's delusional level of optimism.

The English player best suited to international football is Adam Lallana. Just let that sink in.

International football by and large is worse than club football and has been for decades. Apart from probably Spain and Germany in recent years the current Liverpool team who finished 4th in the premier league with Henderson and Milner in midfield would turn over any other international team.

I’m honestly baffled with the constant drivel people talk about international football as if it’s some sort of elite standard. I reckon most midtable teams would go to the later stages of the World Cup.

I’m not optimistic either and I don’t know him where you’ve seen that. England will go out earlier than they should because they’ve hired another buffoon to manage them. People can talk all day about game management and dictating play, it’s all nonsense. Most of these players are playing for top clubs that are playing in the most competitive league in the world. They may not be the best player at their club but that’s because they play for big clubs who hire the best players from other countries to come and play for them. It doesn’t suddenly make them bad players.

It’s playing Kyle fucking Walker at centre half and playing Sterling behind the striker that’s going to make England come unstuck when they play a decent team.

Honestly this other nonsense about foreign shite teams who wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a premier league game teaching our players a thing or two. The best fucking managers from these tinpot leagues get jobs here and most of them end up sacked for doing a shit job. Our players have been playing around and against the best players in the world for decades now and they handle it just fine. The game has moved to a point where you no longer have Gerrards and Lampards. The best teams around have Henderson’s and Diers in their team. If they’re called Fernandinho or Matic though everyone disappears up their arse. Either way that’s what midfield has become but to many people are too slow to catch up.

Those cunts have now been replaced by cunts in the ilk of Kane and Alli not to mention the rats at the FA so I shan't lose sleep over them being knocked out early on.

International football by and large is worse than club football and has been for decades. Apart from probably Spain and Germany in recent years the current Liverpool team who finished 4th in the premier league with Henderson and Milner in midfield would turn over any other international team.

I’m honestly baffled with the constant drivel people talk about international football as if it’s some sort of elite standard. I reckon most midtable teams would go to the later stages of the World Cup.

I’m not optimistic either and I don’t know him where you’ve seen that. England will go out earlier than they should because they’ve hired another buffoon to manage them. People can talk all day about game management and dictating play, it’s all nonsense. Most of these players are playing for top clubs that are playing in the most competitive league in the world. They may not be the best player at their club but that’s because they play for big clubs who hire the best players from other countries to come and play for them. It doesn’t suddenly make them bad players.

It’s playing Kyle fucking Walker at centre half and playing Sterling behind the striker that’s going to make England come unstuck when they play a decent team.

Honestly this other nonsense about foreign shite teams who wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a premier league game teaching our players a thing or two. The best fucking managers from these tinpot leagues get jobs here and most of them end up sacked for doing a shit job. Our players have been playing around and against the best players in the world for decades now and they handle it just fine. The game has moved to a point where you no longer have Gerrards and Lampards. The best teams around have Henderson’s and Diers in their team. If they’re called Fernandinho or Matic though everyone disappears up their arse. Either way that’s what midfield has become but to many people are too slow to catch up.

Look at how much Liverpool struggle when we play more than one game a week, and we're arguably the fittest side in the league. International tournaments are 7 high intensity games in less than a month. Teamwork, ability to move the ball around and create chances at even a slow tempo aren't a skill English players grow up learning at the level others do.

You're right, the international standard isn't as high as cluub football but the players are the same and their natural tactical skills are shown up more when they're not drilled every single day into perfect tactical patterns by elite coaches.

That is totally up to you VI , and as a 58 year old , left wing scouser I appreciate where you are coming from , but while not even caring about England 10% as much as I do Liverpool I am surely allowed to support the only football country I was born in ?

I'm not sure how can support a London-centric,Brexit,supporting,fascist bunch of money grabbing twats,and that's just the FA.

You are allowed to support who you want but I just can't work out how any scouser or any Liverpool fan can support England. I like them to go out early and then I can simply enjoy the spectacle of watching the real teams play.

On a side note and based on having no way of ignoring all the melodrama regarding squad selection,surely that Nick Pope has to be their number one keeper based on form? That Pickford lad at Everton has looked shite to me.

That's a terrible squad brownie, three or four top class players but the rest make up the numbers in their own sides or only get to play because they play at smaller clubs that can't afford expensive foreign signings.

I think it’s pretty average mate, but it’s way above Championship standard. I watched Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough last night and believe me that was terrible!