You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

14 hours ago, lebron said:

Should not have watched that either, blood boiling again now, much more than on Sunday if I'm honest.

Two things.

1. How dismissive is Oliver? Not for me, mate blah-blah

2. With the length of every VAR check routinely taking a couple of minutes, how come they dismiss this one out of hand in about 40 seconds. The AVAR is the only one seemingly not completely happy with the outcome, Atwell and Oliver couldn't be more enthusiastic with their non-calls.

As others have hinted, there might not be actual money changing hands over this isolated game, but there is no way a few of the important calls that have gone against us this season isn't influenced by some sort of shenanigans, either through natural bias (the Manc refs, South Yorkshire head of refs), or the greasing of palms from Abu Dhabi.

The third possible influence being the PL who absolutely want a three horse, last day of the season spectacle.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

The third possible influence being the PL who absolutely want a three horse, last day of the season spectacle.

Advertised as a three-horse race but, in reality, it'll be a two horse race in which we won't be involved as the SYP Bulbhead doesn't want us near the title.

We've been shafted season in season out since he reappeared.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I've just read the transcript because I can't give that cunt webb my full attention.

But here's the bit that really boils my piss 

And I'll quote 

"It's a massive game," 

The size of the game means absolutely fucking zero in decision making, not one iota should the "size of the game" mean the decision making process. 

Whether it's Liverpool vs man city or Luton vs ragball fucking rovers. The "size of the game" means nothing to do with how a decision is made within the 90 minutes of a football game. 

Useless, inept, corrupt cunt

Nah, you’re wrong. I’ve been through the rules and it clearly states: ‘the size and importance of the match should be a major factor in the referee’s decision’. Later it states: ‘Big decisions should only be given between the 20th and 70th minutes’ and elsewhere ‘the club badge should be taken into account when issuing cards’ and ‘woebetide any referee who gives a major decision against a  Manchester club’. Another gem: ‘Any player taking a corner when the ball is not touching the quadrant should be red carded; every 2nd free kick can however be moved 10 yards from where the offence took place.’

I'm not Michael Owen's biggest fan nor do I despise him like some but that was a real low. He's a striker who knows that's a pen all day long. I shouldn't be surprised and I'm not but that opening to set up that fucking weasel Webb is both embarrassing and shameless.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, torahboy said:

"Both go in high". McAllister's feet don't leave the ground. They are actually denying the evidence of their own eyes. Complete fucking farce.

That's the thing that makes you realise there's no point in getting angry about this stuff anymore. What's the point if they can class that as "both go in high". It's embarrassing and the likes of Owen insult our intelligence by not picking up on it. The same with all this calling Macca a space invader. Fucking tits. 

15 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

Fucking Michael Owen framing it and setting it up for him with this 50/50 bollocks. I'd forgotten this garbage was still going. Lesson learned.

They hand picked Owen for this job for exactly that reason. Give Webb a session with that manc cunt off talksport. (Goldberg?)

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

He refers to VAR not wanting to re-referee the game but that is what does pretty much every week 

Like in the Manchester derby when it was more than happy to. Weirdly by the same ref who's on Abu Dhabi's payroll. Who'd have thought that could happen? 

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's the thing that makes you realise there's no point in getting angry about this stuff anymore. What's the point if they can class that as "both go in high". It's embarrassing and the likes of Owen insult our intelligence by not picking up on it. The same with all this calling Macca a space invader. Fucking tits. 

They hand picked Owen for this job for exactly that reason. Give Webb a session with that manc cunt off talksport. (Goldberg?)

Like in the Manchester derby when it was more than happy to. Weirdly by the same ref who's on Abu Dhabi's payroll. Who'd have thought that could happen? 

I don't think he was hand picked but the whole thing is scripted for Webb's benefit. Maybe Owen was the only one shallow enough to take on the role? Not sure he's done anything with Sky before so maybe he thought he could move into Carragher and Neville territory. I can't watch it. Should never have watched that clip last night.

Both come in high, which official said that because he's a fucking cheat!

Var make so many bad decisions people are no longer surprised, you can shape games however the fuck you like and its just a case of VAR oh well. City do really well out of these decisions.

Oliver doesn’t want to award a clear and blatant foul - we can only speculate as to his motivation.

Atwell doesn’t want to over-ride him and used some obtuse and blatantly inaccurate verbiage to justify the non-decision. Again, we can only speculate as to why he takes this line.
Webb obfuscates all over the place whilst tacitly admitting a penalty should have been awarded. 

Owen …. is just a stooge. Or a cunt. Of both. 
In microcosm, this is everything that is wrong with refereeing, PGMOL and the application of VAR and its protocols. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

It says there that Webb "totally contradicts " what he has said previously, getting the ball first is irrelevant if the following through gets the player.

That is the issue with VAR implementation for me, their objective is to defend each other and not the laws of the game. Next week when a penalty is given after someone gets the ball first, he will happily defend it as being correct. 

As said above, whoever said they both came in high, so be dragged out and asked to examine that statement, but obviously they won't.

Again mad coincidence that these contradictory decisions seem to fall in Abu Dhabi favour continually. 

30 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

So, in short, nothing's changed since the days Webb himself would've bottled that kind of decision.

Not strictly true, back in those days we could celebrate our team scoring a goal without a three minute delay.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Mook said:

Not strictly true, back in those days we could celebrate our team scoring a goal without a three minute delay.

And we didn't have these cunts getting their own TV programme to talk absolute shite on.

4 hours ago, Dave D said:

"No, not for me MATE"

"Let me have a look, MATE"

There lies the basic fucking problem. Mate, mate, fucking mate. That is exactly what they are - fucking mates. 

Why the fuck is Oliver saying "no, not for me mate" in the first place? By saying that he has already made the VAR cunts look at the incident as a "non penalty" instead of having an open mind at the start. Once VAR said they are taking a look, the onfield ref should shut the fuck up. 

Oliver said in the next statement "there might be some contact" followed by VAR immediately saying "clear contact on the ball by Doku". The mind is already made up due to the onfield referee who gets paid by Abu Dhabi. 

Bunch of corrupt fucking cunts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

I don't think he was hand picked but the whole thing is scripted for Webb's benefit. Maybe Owen was the only one shallow enough to take on the role? Not sure he's done anything with Sky before so maybe he thought he could move into Carragher and Neville territory. I can't watch it. Should never have watched that clip last night.

Owen wasn't hand picked? They couldn't have found a bigger bag of piss if they'd search the entire planet. 

4 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It says there that Webb "totally contradicts " what he has said previously, getting the ball first is irrelevant if the following through gets the player.

That is the issue with VAR implementation for me, their objective is to defend each other and not the laws of the game. Next week when a penalty is given after someone gets the ball first, he will happily defend it as being correct. 

As said above, whoever said they both came in high, so be dragged out and asked to examine that statement, but obviously they won't.

Again mad coincidence that these contradictory decisions seem to fall in Abu Dhabi favour continually. 

I don't believe VAR is there to protect each other at all, although that can be one of its outcomes. It's there to get the decision they want. if you want any more proof of that you only need to see the penalty Oliver effectively awarded from his VAR seat in the Manchester derby. It's fucking pathetic. 

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Owen wasn't hand picked? They couldn't have found a bigger bag of piss if they'd search the entire planet. 

I'm saying Owen was probably one of the only ones dumb enough to take the role, he's certainly not asking his own questions. It's a vanity project for Webb with loaded questions which just requires any shameless ex footballer to ask them.

7 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I'm saying Owen was probably one of the only ones dumb enough to take the role, he's certainly not asking his own questions. It's a vanity project for Webb with loaded questions which just requires any shameless ex footballer to ask them.

Perhaps. Sky should have used it to really put Webb on the spot. Told him it was that way or no way. And if he didn't agree, they'd broadcast he refused. What we get now is like Putin TV. Owen looks petrified if he asks the wrong question he'll be Novichoked. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

"No, not for me MATE"

"Let me have a look, MATE"

There lies the basic fucking problem. Mate, mate, fucking mate. That is exactly what they are - fucking mates. 

Why the fuck is Oliver saying "no, not for me mate" in the first place? By saying that he has already made the VAR cunts look at the incident as a "non penalty" instead of having an open mind at the start. Once VAR said they are taking a look, the onfield ref should shut the fuck up. 

Oliver said in the next statement "there might be some contact" followed by VAR immediately saying "clear contact on the ball by Doku". The mind is already made up due to the onfield referee who gets paid by Abu Dhabi. 

Bunch of corrupt fucking cunts.

That whole "mate" shite boils my piss as well. So unprofessional.. 

Didn't Richard "hairy hands" keys say some referee told him earlier in the season that Michael oliver apparently told other refs, never to send him to the monitor to review a decision he has made.

This is the kind of stuff that juventus got relegated for.... 

I honestly think the premierleague is the most corrupt league in the world. The only difference between it and say Serie A, is the Italians actually did something about their problem and rectified it

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Perhaps. Sky should have used it to really put Webb on the spot. Told him it was that way or no way. And if he didn't agree, they'd broadcast he refused. What we get now is like Putin TV. Owen looks petrified if he asks the wrong question he'll be Novichoked. 

It's not a serious program. I can't watch it for more than a minute without wanting to put my foot through the screen. If it was serious the first question would have been how has a penalty not been awarded there when its clearly dangerous play, not the set up softball 50/50 shite that allows him to justify the decision.

47 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

It's not a serious program. I can't watch it for more than a minute without wanting to put my foot through the screen. If it was serious the first question would have been how has a penalty not been awarded there when its clearly dangerous play, not the set up softball 50/50 shite that allows him to justify the decision.

I think the simplest of questions would be, if a player ends up with stud marks on his chest while standing, do you not consider this to be a foul? 

7 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Have a look at the pen given over the same weekend gets the ball then contact.

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the simplest of questions would be, if a player ends up with stud marks on his chest while standing, do you not consider this to be a foul? 

Or ask him to explain what they mean by saying they both come in high?