You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was it a penalty?

rondeco

Was it?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Peno?

Klopp's comment to that interviewer after the game has resulted in the press pack closing ranks to "protect" one of their own. That's why everyone thinks it was a pen, because you've got bellends like Jim fucking White and Danny Murphy all helping out their "bullied" colleague and telling their mouth-breathing audience that it was a pen. I gather Klopp asked the media afterwards if they thought it was a pen and they all put their hands up and said it was. Anyone who's looked at the vid Dave has posted on the match report can see it was a dive.

I listened to the Echo podcast and James Pearse thought it was a pen and so does Carra.

Penalty.

A soft penalty. 

Seen them given. Seen them not given. It's tough when you're on the receiving end of one of those.

Allardyce will be on the end of one of those brave decisions soon. It'll be interesting to see if he sees it the same way.

Like fuck was it a penalty. The ref saw Lovren go under the flight of the ball, thought Calvert Lewin was through on goal and Lovren was scrambling. Lovren wasn't scrambling, he was comfortable. The ref's shithouse assumptions and desire to be 'impartial' are to blame, nobody else.

• Upvote 1

In my mind, the gif that Dave posted and that has been consistently shared on here is not the right angle. It only shows the front view but very little of Lovren's left hand movement which is the crux of the matter. You can see the different angles in the vid here:

https://wittyfutty.com/2017/12/video-dejan-lovren-controversial-penalty-foul-vs-everton/

The 00:13-16 bit is the crucial bit in my opinion. I've replayed it a few times, and am still not completely sure how much of it was natural momentum and how much of it was a shove. Think it's both personally. The initial contact is definitely caused by Calvert-Lewin slowing down and changing direction, but there's also an exaggerated movement of the left hand by Lovren at the end which is slightly more than mere self-protection from the barge. Probably not enough to warrant obtention of a penalty but still totally unnecessary by Dejan.

On the balance of things, I probably would not have given it as Calvert-Lewin's barge had as big a part to play in the incident as Lovren's slight push. But, I would disagree about there not being any gray areas around the decision. I can definitely see why some would think it's a pen, if you look at the other angles.

• Upvote 1

In my mind, the gif that Dave posted and that has been consistently shared on here is not the right angle. It only shows the front view but very little of Lovren's left hand movement which is the crux of the matter. You can see the different angles in the vid here:

https://wittyfutty.com/2017/12/video-dejan-lovren-controversial-penalty-foul-vs-everton/

The 00:13-16 bit is the crucial bit in my opinion. I've replayed it a few times, and am still not completely sure how much of it was natural momentum and how much of it was a shove. Think it's both personally. The initial contact is definitely caused by Calvert-Lewin slowing down and changing direction, but there's also an exaggerated movement of the left hand by Lovren at the end which is slightly more than mere self-protection from the barge. Probably not enough to warrant obtention of a penalty but still totally unnecessary by Dejan.

On the balance of things, I probably would not have given it as Calvert-Lewin's barge had as big a part to play in the incident as Lovren's slight push. But, I would disagree about there not being any gray areas around the decision. I can definitely see why some would think it's a pen, if you look at the other angles.

I've seen the video and repeated the parts you mentioned and now I'm even more convinced it wasn't a penalty. In fact, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a terrible dive that should have been yellow carded.

We all view it with a massive dose of context, that's why we can't really have a valid opinion on it, even if we say we're looking at it as a neutral.

At the end of the day it's not changed much other than given the Everton fans a nice night, because I always go out to town after having 20% possession against a counter-attacking team and getting 1 point after spending £130m in the summer. 

I'm looking forward to Klopp suddenly taking the cup game very, very seriously and giving them fuck all to look forward to for the rest of the year apart from a relegation fight. 

• Upvote 1

The point isn't that it's a stonewall pen, it's that, from a refs point of view, it looks like a pen because Lovren puts his hand on the attackers back and when he falls down, it looks like a shove. 

That's all it is. and that's why most people are saying that Lovren is at fault. He really did give the ref a decision to make. Don't put your hands on his back, it's that simple.

• Upvote 1

The point isn't that it's a stonewall pen, it's that, from a refs point of view, it looks like a pen because Lovren puts his hand on the attackers back and when he falls down, it looks like a shove.

That's all it is. and that's why most people are saying that Lovren is at fault. He really did give the ref a decision to make. Don't put your hands on his back, it's that simple.

Load of bollocks. You’re allowed to touch an opponent, there’s never been a rule that states you can’t. It was a dive and the ref bought it hook, line and sinker. These things happen in football.

To blame Lovren for putting his hands on someone’s back is such unmitigated shite, it’s almost unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

Yep. He ends up almost taking Calvert-Lewin's bloody shirt off in the end.

There isn't a defender in Europe that doesn't get his hands on a attacker whenever possible. For all Carra's bollocks on twitter he would have got hands on him too.

He'd put his hands on the back of a striker going away from goal. No. No he wouldn't because he's got a football brain not like the bellend we currently have playing CB for us. 

• Upvote 1

it looks a penalty

Because the ref is a useless cunt as are all refs. Let get over it and move on to Pardew.