You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

Firmino carrying the club.. that’s a good one. We’re handicapped by having him as our main non scoring striker. Ox is a much better wide player than Firmino is a striker.

Calls a 1-3 striker non scoring whilst bumming up a wide player who usually scores two a season.

Im leaning towards retarded. Difinitely not a smart wum.

• Downvote 1

Firmino carrying the club.. that’s a good one. We’re handicapped by having him as our main non scoring striker. Ox is a much better wide player than Firmino is a striker.

Firmino may not score 20 goals plus. But he’s essential to the rest of our attacking players. We’ll score more goals with Bobby as our striker with Mane & Salah supporting then Ox as a winger and a traditional #9 who’ll score 25+

9 goals and 5 assists in 20 games for Firmino is fine by me. 

Chamberlain is doing well so far, hope he continues to grow into the squad.  This time of year is where having him should help us out.  Keeping pace in the side while rotating.

It's not about how good the three are based on their individual merits, it's about how they gel and operate as a forward trio.  And right now what we have is very effective, considering Mane is still looking to kick into gear.  Aubamayeng and various others may be classed as better strikers or goalscorers than Firmino, but they could fuck the balance we currently have right up if they don't bring to the table what Firmino does.

Firmino's football intelligence is very underestimated by a lot of our own fanbase.

As per usual, that is a horrendous opinion.

In terms of chances created, Firmino’s 76 in 2016/17 was bettered only by Messi (78), and was more than twice as many as Ronaldo and Lewandowski combined (both 30), and 19 more than Griezmann. He’s also vastly superior to Suárez, Cavani, Agüero and Higuaín in all the stats mentioned. In terms of passes completed, only Messi (1,278) and Napoli duo Lorenzo Insigne (2,005) and José Callejón (1,320) bettered Firmino’s 1,223, indicating how heavily he is involved in general play, knitting together the attack while dropping deep and combining with the midfield.

Firmino also made more tackles (41) than both Gary Cahill (40) and Jan Vertonghen (33) in the Premier League last season, and only one fewer than Laurent Koscielny.

Firmino is a very effective striker, although he is a different player from many of the top traditional #9's. Saying he "handicaps" the club is absolutely insane but of course you're so far down the rabbit hole with your opinion that no amount of facts will get you to admit you're wrong. 

As per usual, that is a horrendous opinion.

In terms of chances created, Firmino’s 76 in 2016/17 was bettered only by Messi (78), and was more than twice as many as Ronaldo and Lewandowski combined (both 30), and 19 more than Griezmann. He’s also vastly superior to Suárez, Cavani, Agüero and Higuaín in all the stats mentioned. In terms of passes completed, only Messi (1,278) and Napoli duo Lorenzo Insigne (2,005) and José Callejón (1,320) bettered Firmino’s 1,223, indicating how heavily he is involved in general play, knitting together the attack while dropping deep and combining with the midfield.

Firmino also made more tackles (41) than both Gary Cahill (40) and Jan Vertonghen (33) in the Premier League last season, and only one fewer than Laurent Koscielny.

Firmino is a very effective striker, although he is a different player from many of the top traditional #9's. Saying he "handicaps" the club is absolutely insane but of course you're so far down the rabbit hole with your opinion that no amount of facts will get you to admit you're wrong.

You’re missing the big picture unfortunately 3 Stacks. Chance creation, pass completion, and tackles are good attributes for a midfielder, not a striker. Dirk Kuyt would’ve had better stats than Torres... but I’d take Torres to lead the line every day of the week. We need goals from him.. Main problem with him is not that he misses a lot of chances, he doesn’t even get into those positions enough. Where he played for us against Stoke, is where I would play him permanently... or not at all. I think Firmino is a good player, but he isn’t a very good striker.

Firmino may not score 20 goals plus. But he’s essential to the rest of our attacking players. We’ll score more goals with Bobby as our striker with Mane & Salah supporting then Ox as a winger and a traditional #9 who’ll score 25+

Play him behind a traditional #9 and rotate him with Coutinho. Rotate Mane, Salah and Ox for the two wide roles.

I can help here - unless the number 9 we are speaking of is one of the top say half dozen in the world that idea may not make our attack any more effective. Make sense?

Not really. The 7th best forward in the world would definitely improve us. Real ‘Liverpool under FSG’ comment there Howie... Klopp got ridiculed around here for saying something similar at the start of the season.

You’re missing the big picture unfortunately 3 Stacks.

I don't think you really read my post. As a striker, like, playing in that position, not as a #10, he's second in the world only behind Messi in an important offensive statistic. Because I know you'll need clarification for why that's a good thing, I'll just go ahead and tell you that Messi's pretty good. So that means Firmino is also good.

Get it now?

I don't think you really read my post. As a striker, like, playing in that position, not as a #10, he's second in the world only behind Messi in an important offensive statistic. Because I know you'll need clarification for why that's a good thing, I'll just go ahead and tell you that Messi's pretty good. So that means Firmino is also good.

Get it now?

Messi is playing as an attacking midfielder behind Suarez, so I think your use of this particular statistic is somewhat confused IMO.

Messi is playing as an attacking midfielder behind Suarez, so I think your use of this particular statistic is somewhat confused IMO.

Messi's an attacker who is asked to create, which he does because he's great. Firmino is an attacker who is asked to create, which he also does because he's also pretty great.

Glad I could clarify that for you.