You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

Am I the only one thoroughly underwhelmed by Van Dijk?

He's extremely gifted, both physically and technically, especially for a centre half. 

His problem is that he's very nonchalant and not aware of his surroundings. He makes plenty of mistakes and of course he'd continue that if he signed for us.

If we have to make him the most expensive defender ever, he would not deserve that title given what he's accomplished in his career thus far, but the tools are there if he can ever improve on the mental aspect.

They are paying the price for an under-invested threadbare squad and hectic schedule. Its only going to get worse for them here on out after this season: Kane, Alderweireld & Alli all out the door over the next few seasons. Baffled why they went in quite so big rather than consolodating and building the squad. Got a West Ham-like move written all over them.

For me Spurs' downfall will not be when any of the players leave but when Pochettino is inevitably snaffled up by Real Madrid/Bayern/Juventus. 

And for any Spurs fan who says Levy is a genius and will simply go out and find another underrated manager to keep them in the top 4, let me remind you that this is the same Levy who appointed Tactics Timmy Sherwood to the position just a few years ago.  When Poch goes, that's when the player exodus will start and they will never recover.

They're flying a bit under the radar but Arsenal have been impressive recently. The Sanchez - Lacazette - Ozil attack looks extremely promising and the fact they basically play a reserve side in the Europa means they'll be able to keep their best players fresh. I doubt they'll be the team we kick out of the top 4 if we manage to fulfill that objective at the end of the season. 

I thought van Dijk looked very assured and is certainly a real physical presence. I can't say that he looked like a world=beating center-half, but who does (unless they are already flattered by a set of equally great players in one of the top European club sides?

If Liverpool's interest in him still exists, I think he'll improve you. How much that improvement will cost is a matter between Southampton and Liverpool, but if Liverpool can afford him, it's nobody else's business what they pay for him.

He commanded a very disciplined defence against City and was a threat during corners. City are a small team though, and anybody half decent in the air is a threat during set pieces. 

For me Spurs' downfall will not be when any of the players leave but when Pochettino is inevitably snaffled up by Real Madrid/Bayern/Juventus.

And for any Spurs fan who says Levy is a genius and will simply go out and find another underrated manager to keep them in the top 4, let me remind you that this is the same Levy who appointed Tactics Timmy Sherwood to the position just a few years ago. When Poch goes, that's when the player exodus will start and they will never recover.

Another loss for Tottenham,

Looks to be the end of their golden era, and what an era it was

PL x0

FA Cup x0

Champions League x0

League Cup x0

Put the pressure on x2

Finished above Arsenal x1

Incredible

• Upvote 5

Surprised at the lack of response to Guardiola carrying on shocking with Redmond. I know the sun shines out of his arse but imagine if it was Jurgen or Mourinho manhandling an opposition player because he wouldn’t play the way Guardiola wanted him to.

I liked it to be honest

Redmond has said he wasn't offended by it and anyways Guardiola was complimenting him, albeit pretty aggressively.

He's weird about that. I remember him grabbing Ribery by the throat when he was talking tactics to him after a match at Bayern. It's bizarre but it's not anything malicious like Mourinho did with Tito Villanova that one time.