You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

I just wish we could start tackling the problem at an earlier stage. Part of the problem is that very few people are thinking critically before they start their degree in Economics (or Politics, for that matter). Everything shouldn't be new by then.

I think its a major part of the problem. In my own experience, critical thinking was looked down upon as a nothing subject, with it being taught at a half arsed level in sixth form only. I don't even know if it's taught at my school anymore now that its an academy. I'd regard myself as one of the more fortunate ones in this instance. When it came to even remotely assessing any financial models at uni (CAPM, option pricing etc), I had no skills to critically assess them, but wasn't even required to do it anyway. Needless to say, I've learned far more after uni through my own readings.

I think its a major part of the problem. In my own experience, critical thinking was looked down upon as a nothing subject, with it being taught at a half arsed level in sixth form only. I don't even know if it's taught at my school anymore now that its an academy. I'd regard myself as one of the more fortunate ones in this instance. When it came to even remotely assessing any financial models at uni (CAPM, option pricing etc), I had no skills to critically assess them, but wasn't even required to do it anyway. Needless to say, I've learned far more after uni through my own readings.

Likewise.

I can't speak for Economics A-Levels/Degrees, but it appears to be very similar with Politics. My Politics A-Level was two years of looking at voting systems. I'm exaggerating a little, of course, but there was almost nothing about political ideologies. Similarly, we didn't really look at past governments/movements. 

I remember the first seminar from my Politics degree and the look on the face of the professor at the complete ignorance of the whole group. We didn't know anything. It turns out the look wasn't of surprise, but of being battle worn. The first round of essays we had to hand in I got a mixture of 2.1s and firsts, and they were just complete rubbish. Just stuff copied straight from a handful of books I'd taken out of the library the day before the essays had to be handed in.

I'd love to have studied somewhere else in Europe as well to be able to compare how these sort of subjects are taught in different countries. 

• Upvote 1

Once again reading comments in the mail to the fella hurling abuse at the train union members. What a depressing shitty little country this is. I'm alright jack so fuck everybody else. Peasant nation. Dim-witted fucks who constantly piss on their own parade.

Dismal BBC reporting last night. No coverage whatsoever of the issues involved in the dispute just a long public service announcement regarding the cancellation of trains and the recommendation for Southern users to have a 'duvet' day. Pathetic

We live in a country of lemmings. While the mainstream press pretend there is nothing wrong and give a them and UKIP the vast majority of the airtime/paper coverage, people will bury their heads and ignore the effects on themselves.

The narrative was set at the beginning of this Parliament - the poor, sick, disabled and immigrants are responsible for taking what the middle class have.

• Upvote 1

Likewise.

I can't speak for Economics A-Levels/Degrees, but it appears to be very similar with Politics. My Politics A-Level was two years of looking at voting systems. I'm exaggerating a little, of course, but there was almost nothing about political ideologies. Similarly, we didn't really look at past governments/movements.

I remember the first seminar from my Politics degree and the look on the face of the professor at the complete ignorance of the whole group. We didn't know anything. It turns out the look wasn't of surprise, but of being battle worn. The first round of essays we had to hand in I got a mixture of 2.1s and firsts, and they were just complete rubbish. Just stuff copied straight from a handful of books I'd taken out of the library the day before the essays had to be handed in.

I'd love to have studied somewhere else in Europe as well to be able to compare how these sort of subjects are taught in different countries.

I studied Politics in my year abroad in France, at a left-leaning uni. I wouldn't say the teaching was better than at my UK uni, they were both excellent, but the French students were generally more politically aware and engaged than their British counterparts, which made the experience a lot more stimulating. The lecturers fed off it and were more inclined to offer their own views and engage in dialogue with students, and there were more exchanges between the students themselves. This was 20 years ago mind.

Ch4 exposing JD Sports warehouse in Rochdale as being even worse than Sports Direct.

Workers on their feet 11 hours per day. Constantly shouted at by supervisors to go faster. Three strikes policy that includes what you wear as well as anything they perceive as wrong. And worst of all - having zero hours contract workers travel into work from places as far afield as Manchester, then deciding there's not enough work for them and sending them home.

I studied Politics in my year abroad in France, at a left-leaning uni. I wouldn't say the teaching was better than at my UK uni, they were both excellent, but the French students were generally more politically aware and engaged than their British counterparts, which made the experience a lot more stimulating. The lecturers fed off it and were more inclined to offer their own views and engage in dialogue with students, and there were more exchanges between the students themselves. This was 20 years ago mind.

I was at uni ten years ago, I wonder if much/anything changed between when you went and when I did. Or, indeed now. Could always be the case that you simply went to a better uni than I did.

The "more politically aware and engaged" thing is certainly still the case, and not just among students. I've said before, of the 15 or 20 Italian friends I keep in contact with at least half of them are regularly discussing politics/economics/etc, and right across the political spectrum.

Declining real pay, automisation, and an anime AI waiting at home for you.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.pcmag.com/news/350314/gatebox-virtual-home-robot-wants-you-to-be-her-master%3Famp%3D1?client=safari

We're a few years away from physical home robots becoming a reality. But that doesn't mean we can't have a virtual robot automating our homes and forming a companion of sorts.

Gatebox aims to fill that role by offering a virtual home robot in the form of a projected 3D character living inside a glass tube.

The Gatebox ia a projection tube within which a character is projected who can partake in conversations and be hooked up to your home network in order to automate certain tasks such as turning lights on or off, or demanding your robot vacuum cleans the floor.

The introductory video demonstrates how Gatebox works:

If you hadn't guessed already, Gatebox is a Japanese creation with the character taking on an anime look. Her name is Azuma Hikari, and she even has her own website. She's also classed as the "first character" with a distinct personality, two voices, hobbies, likes/dislikes, and even a dream. So it seems likely Gatebox will gain the option of more characters to interact with in the future.

Interaction is done through voice chat in person, with a camera mounted at the top of the tube ensuring Azuma is always able to look at the person she's conversing with. When away from home, an iOS or Android Gatebox app can be used to continue chatting with Azuma, or to get her to do things in time for your return.

Gatebox Azuma Hikari Bio

The Gatebox unit measures 22 by 36 by 52cm and weighs 5 kilograms. The projector has a resolution of 1280 by 720, and there's stereo speakers through which the character converses (a headphone jack is also available for a more private listening experience). The array of embedded sensors includes a camera, microphone, motion sensor, warmth and moisture sensors, luminance sensor, and touch buttons. At launch, Japanese will be the primary language supported.

The Gatebox is priced at 298,000 yen, which is roughly $2,600. That's not really surprising considering what's being offered. What's more surprising is the time you'll have to wait to have it delivered. The Gatebox isn't set to launch until December 2017. A US pre-order page is available, meaning an English language version is in the works, but the price to get one shipped over rises to $3,000 including shipping.

It's easy to view this as creepy, especially when Azuma holds up a sign on her website that says "Master Now Wanted." However, an increasing number of people live alone, and if the Gatebox offers some companionship and help around the home, it could prove both useful and a valuable point of interaction for people who are otherwise secluded.

No, it's just fucking creepy, and a little soul destroying.

Declining real pay, automisation, and an anime AI waiting at home for you.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.pcmag.com/news/350314/gatebox-virtual-home-robot-wants-you-to-be-her-master%3Famp%3D1?client=safari

No, it's just fucking creepy, and a little soul destroying.

Becoming more like Westworld every day. I just hope the ending is a bit different.

Guest Pistonbroke

Yet another prison riot, this time in Birmingham. 

Also. Check-in staff, baggage handlers and cargo crew at UK airports are planning a 48-hour strike from 23 December, the Unite union says.