You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prince

Mendoza

Devastated.

I was hoping he'd be over in a couple of months on his rescheduled piano tour, can't believe I won't be seeing him again.

I was lucky to see him many times. A few highlights...

Despite his so called refusal to play his 'pure filth' songs in his later years, I once saw him drop the intro to Darling Nikki. He had that glint in his eye and doing that Prince smile. He knew.

Another time he opened with Purple Rain, which was nuts in-itself. He then followed it with Girls and Boys, which is my all time fav Prince song. He could have stopped the show there and then and id have been happy.

The last time I saw him was with his all girl band. He played the loudest heaviest rock concert imaginable. It was incredible. Opened with Let's Go Crazy and it was HEAVY. He commented deadpan, 'we've been learning to play the guitar'. I'm into the hard rock metal stuff, and make no exaggeration by saying it was the loudest heaviest version of a song I've ever heard.

He's famous for reappearing and doing an encore ages after the 'main show' has finished. These encores could range from a couple of songs to another full show. One time we hung around and went to the front of the stage and waited for ages. He came out. Played Raspberry Beret a matter of centimetres in front of us. To what must have been a handful of people. Unreal. Possibly my favourite ever concert moment. In fact, maybe life moment.

I absolutely love him.

Best I ever. By some distance.

• Upvote 4

His 80's period was absolutely incredible. From 1999 to Lovesexy he couldn't put a foot wrong. Bought all of those on vinyl. 

Then he brought out the Batman soundtrack and Graffiti Bridge and i bought those on CD and they both washed over me.

I blame compact disc for the quality of Prince's music decreasing.