You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs away 17/10/15

Jim MM

Coutinhino has always only done it in flashes. Overrated IMO, he'd be a bench player in a Rafa team.

Sorry but that's bullshit. We had shite wingers for much of Rafa's reign, it was always our main weakness. Benayoun and Kuyt were arguably our best wingers during that time. Other than that, we had to with the likes of Pennant, Babel, Gonzalez, Zenden, Riera etc... Coupled with the fact Rafa said Coutinho was the future of Inter Milan when he took over, I'm pretty sure Coutinho would have made any of his teams.

• Upvote 2

Coutinho flatters to deceive. It's all been about potential with him but now is the time he needs to start showing what he is about. No excuses.

Lallana has played better this season than Coutinho but both haven't been good enough. But at least Lallana made an impression whereas Coutinho looked no different to the rest of the season where it has been 95% dross and a flew flashes of quality. 

Content with that! Nice to get a clean sheet, didnt really feel like we were ever going to score but hardly surprising with Ings, Sturridge, Benteke and Firmino out! Win, lose or draw I just hope we put in a shift and we did.

Coutinho's performances are dependent on who we have up top. He'll look boss with boss players and movers. Pretty average with average players and movers. Just like David Silva wouldnt look as good if he was playing with Origi, Lambert, Balotelli and co. And just like Ozil looked shit when playing with players like Giroud who barely move, he looked better with Sanchez and Walcott.

• Upvote 1

Coutinho's performances are dependent on who we have up top. He'll look boss with boss players and movers. Pretty average with average players and movers. Just like David Silva wouldnt look as good if he was playing with Origi, Lambert, Balotelli and co. And just like Ozil looked shit when playing with players like Giroud who barely move, he looked better with Sanchez and Walcott.

This is true to an extent but I think teams have worked him out to some extent, Cutting in from the left and getting it onto to his right side to shoot . He seems to get nowhere near the space in the last third he used to. 

Coutinho's decline mirrors that of the quality of the movement in front of him. Nosedive. Aggressive pressing in packs in the final 3rd will see him back to his best.

That would be my take, as well.  Though he has not declined that much.

With the new manager, who is very close to Benitez in his way of playing football, Coutinho will just get better and better.  The rest of the team will follow the manager.  

Lallana gets stuck in as best he can, but he's horribly weak physically for this level.

In his defence, he ran at the opposition with a lot more confidence when he was with Southampton, so hopefully Klopp will instill a bit of their earlier career fearlessness in Lallana and others.

Coutinho's struggling with being double-marked and poor form. Firmino and Sturridge/Benteke will take some of the weight off his shoulders. He's still the best attacker in our squad.

that was rogers team and squad trying to play klopp footy.

they were great for 20mins but couldn't sustain it because they aren't fit enough 

It was good to see players playing in their natural positions but also chastening to see just how shit some of them are

skrtl, sakho and Moreno are fucking awful defenders, clyne needs to improve too.

Lucas and Can are average at best and milner and coutino need to pull their fingers out 

Origi will never be a prem striker as long as have a have a hole in my arse

Lallana, Can,  Moreno and Origi stop shitting out of tackles 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a mobile DM will make all the difference for this squad. It's scandalous that we haven't targeted one in years. Lucas looks too slow, and Milner doesn't solve much.

Even with some protection though, I don't think Skrtel will make it under Klopp. Looks half decent when we're under the cosh, and he's tasked with manhandling CFs, but when there's space his first reaction is always to run away. 

I like Lucas a lot as a player but can't disagree with any of that really. Lucas is a good player to have around but we need better.

Skrtel is our biggest issue defensively in my opinion. And I'm including Lovren in that.

Milner and Lallana both run a lot but can do absolutely fuck all with the ball. Also, for all his pressing, players drop the shoulder and sell Milner down the river every time. Players run past him for fun. He just seems a second behind the play all the time. Hence all those fouls when he got to a player half a second after they'd moved the ball on.

Running full tilt for 90 mins is commendable, but doesn't mean you've pressed effectively. Lallana did a good job pressing, Milner was more of a headless chicken in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Whoever it was before the game who disagreed with me when I said our squad was weak is welcome to watch that game on repeat for the next week. We were solid enough given the injuries and the minimal time the manager has had with the squad, but let's face it - our full strength squad is fuck all. The last 3 years of transfers have been a disaster.

that was rogers team and squad trying to play klopp footy.

they were great for 20mins but couldn't sustain it because they aren't fit enough

It was good to see players playing in their natural positions but also chastening to see just how shit some of them are

skrtl, sakho and Moreno are fucking awful defenders, clyne needs to improve too.

Lucas and Can are average at best and milner and coutino need to pull their fingers out

Origi will never be a prem striker as long as have a have a hole in my arse

Lallana, Can, Moreno and Origi stop shitting out of tackles

Well that just about covers it.A new team it is then.