You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This new FIFA world cup in 2025 FIFA have just announced reeks. Thing is you know it will go ahead in some form. I wouldn't be surprised if the ESL clubs are in on it to try and force their agenda and lower the value of the premier League. All just fucking shit. So is the fact the champions league is getting ruined fr 2024. Just how greedy can these cunts be

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking out loud here.

You know, once upon a time, ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ was sung spontaneously by the fans, and was never an organised ‘event’ before the match.

I honestly can’t remember which home game the song was officially ‘played’ so that fans would sing along.

Back in the 60s it was played as part of the Top Ten, but once it dropped out of the Top Ten, it wasn’t played. It’s at that point that The Kop and the crowd as a whole, kept the song alive for it to become the anthem and very fabric of the club that is is today.

At some point the song was re-introduced over the broadcasting system as a ritual before each game, encouraging the crowd to sing along, to which the crowd duly obliged, and for me, it lost some of its spontaneity. Don’t get me wrong, I love to hear it and it stirs the spirit.

At which home game was it first re-broadcast and used permanently?

42 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

You know, once upon a time, ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ was sung spontaneously by the fans, and was never an organised ‘event’ before the match.

I honestly can’t remember which home game the song was officially ‘played’ so that fans would sing along.

Back in the 60s it was played as part of the Top Ten, but once it dropped out of the Top Ten, it wasn’t played. It’s at that point that The Kop and the crowd as a whole, kept the song alive for it to become the anthem and very fabric of the club that is is today.

At some point the song was re-introduced over the broadcasting system as a ritual before each game, encouraging the crowd to sing along, to which the crowd duly obliged, and for me, it lost some of its spontaneity. Don’t get me wrong, I love to hear it and it stirs the spirit.

It was also sing regularly by ALL clubs during the 1970s and not just us. London clubs,Manc clubs,the lot.

2 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Back in the early days, the team ran out to a huge roar as YNWA finished and big Ron booted the ball towards the Kop goal (but very rarely finding the net). It's heard at the end of recording of "Fearless" on Pink Floyds Meddle album.

One of the worst things I've witnessed was at an exhibition match we played in Brisbane some years ago. As it was played over the PA, the words appeared on the big screen along with a bouncing ball for people to singalong to. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

It's weird, I thought after the World Cup, refs would do the same, but no, back to the usual crap benefitting cynical and non-footballing teams.

19 hours ago, DJLJ said:

I sent off a 16 year old in a cup game earlier in the season for time wasting. They were 2 up in injury time, the 2nd ball was slow to come in all day, they have a corner and suddenly 3 balls are on the pitch. The taker strolls over to the first one, gives it a little squeeze and discards it, half way through the process of doing this on the 2nd ball I give him a yellow and he's off.

Coincidentally I have the same team in the next round a couple of weeks later. Before the match the manager approached me and say he assumed I realised my mistake and didn't report that red. I told him to tell his players the cards will be flying out if they try that shit again. They didn't, they went 2 up and instead of trying to slow the game down like all schoolboy teams try to do when 2 up they kept playing and won 5 nil.

I see it all the time, teams starts well, get a lead and then stop playing, it's infuriating and so bloody stupid. Why change from playing the way that got you the lead to do something you're not even good at? I've seen momentum change a thousand times because managers think they're clever. I'm not one for prematch chats with teams, they all know the drill, since the Newcastle game at Anfield I've have had a little chat with Captains on time wasting, no second chances, first time anyone tries that shit a card is coming out. It's such an easy thing to fix, in the 10 minutes I seen of Newcastle the other night I probably seen 5 yellow card offences, one was Almiron taking a corner, the linesman told him at least 5 times to take it. Why wouldn't you take the piss if the officials allow you take the piss like that?

A yellow for time wasting should also come with a sin bin or indirect free kick. Martin Atkinson booking Torres for time wasting in the Gerrard slip game still gets my blood pressure up. A card so late in the game usually benefits that team because its slows it even further. An indirect free kick from 15 yards would add all sorts of excitement. Half the games would finish with one.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Harrison Booth said:

I sent off a 16 year old in a cup game earlier in the season for time wasting. They were 2 up in injury time, the 2nd ball was slow to come in all day, they have a corner and suddenly 3 balls are on the pitch. The taker strolls over to the first one, gives it a little squeeze and discards it, half way through the process of doing this on the 2nd ball I give him a yellow and he's off.

Coincidentally I have the same team in the next round a couple of weeks later. Before the match the manager approached me and say he assumed I realised my mistake and didn't report that red. I told him to tell his players the cards will be flying out if they try that shit again. They didn't, they went 2 up and instead of trying to slow the game down like all schoolboy teams try to do when 2 up they kept playing and won 5 nil.

I see it all the time, teams starts well, get a lead and then stop playing, it's infuriating and so bloody stupid. Why change from playing the way that got you the lead to do something you're not even good at? I've seen momentum change a thousand times because managers think they're clever. I'm not one for prematch chats with teams, they all know the drill, since the Newcastle game at Anfield I've have had a little chat with Captains on time wasting, no second chances, first time anyone tries that shit a card is coming out. It's such an easy thing to fix, in the 10 minutes I seen of Newcastle the other night I probably seen 5 yellow card offences, one was Almiron taking a corner, the linesman told him at least 5 times to take it. Why wouldn't you take the piss if the officials allow you take the piss like that?

A yellow for time wasting should also come with a sin bin or indirect free kick. Martin Atkinson booking Torres for time wasting in the Gerrard slip game still gets my blood pressure up. A card so late in the game usually benefits that team because its slows it even further. An indirect free kick from 15 yards would add all sorts of excitement. Half the games would finish with one.

Jeez! And I thought I was harsh booking a one armed 11 year old!

• Upvote 1