You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Hearing of our older payers falling on hard times when we watch multi millionaires strutting around. 

About time the cancer in the game 'agents' were tackled. Ban them, make the players use the FA who can charge a nominal fee for transfers. The money that would have gone to an agent could then be diverted to reduce ticket prices and set up a charity for ex players. 

That damned TV money should be fed in to, even 10% of it would make a massive difference. 

Never going to happen because greed is consuming this game and the big losers as always are the fans.

The FA and Premier League are too busy lining their own pockets to worry about getting rid of agents. The whole game is corrupt and I honestly can't see anything changing in the new future, the greed in the game will just continue to grow and grow.

All that shite about Coutinho paying £11m of his own money to subsidise the Barca deal. What a load of bollocks.. More like Nike would have put the money in some off shore account where his agent could pick up the money and then transfer it back to Coutinho.. Nobody will check because nobody really gives a shit. Everyone is just worried about making sure that their trough is full.

• Upvote 1

Good luck to the Dortmund fans 

Borussia Dortmund supporters have announced a boycott of their Monday night home match against Augsburg in late February.

Dortmund, who are involved in Europa League after their failure to qualify from the Champions League group stages, are set to meet Augsburg on Monday, Feb. 26, with the game kicking off at 8.30 p.m. local time.

But the Sudtribune Dortmund alliance, a collective of Ultra groups and fan clubs, announced they would not be attending a match on a Monday.

"We will no longer play along to the absurd development of kick-off times," a statement read. "We've reached a point where we've ultimately gone beyond what's acceptable.

"Several groups and fan clubs who've been at every BVB home match at the Westfalenstadion will not attend the Monday night game. This decision is in no way directed against the team. We just can't and don't want to accept Bundesliga matches on a Monday."

In late June 2016, the Bundesliga confirmed that five of the league's 306 matches would be played on a Monday night from the 2017-2018 season on, initially planned to allow for a long break for the German Europa League starters.

With no match played on a Monday night during the first half of the Bundesliga season, all five matches are set to go ahead during the run-in until May. Three of them have been already been scheduled.

However, the Sudtribune Dortmund alliance said the introduction of those games were "another big step towards the sell-out of football," adding that "clubs, associations and TV stations" acted without consideration for the fans.

"BVB are sadly not the exception from the rule," they said, adding that some fans would not be able to travel on a Monday night. "Once again, the fans willing to support their club in the stadium are the losers."

With almost 100 percent of the tickets for the Yellow Wall, Dortmund's giant standing terrace with a 25,000 capacity, sold as season tickets, a successful boycott could produce some unwanted PR for those in charge of German football

• Upvote 1

Carlos Tevez has labelled his time in the Chinese Super League as “like a holiday” after returning to Boca Juniors at the end of his seven-month spell as the world’s highest-paid player.

The former Manchester City and Manchester United frontman returned to his hometown club for a third spell earlier this month, after what can only be described as a less-than-successful time overseas in China with Shanghai Shenua.

Tevez was labelled overweight and disinterested during this time in the Far East and it seems as though criticisms are more than justified after a startling admission from the forward.

He told Argentine TV station TYC Sports: “It’s fine [to be called overweight and disinterested] because I was on holiday for seven months.”

Tevez’s annual salary at Shenua would have seen him earn £34million, but after seven months, the striker decided he had made enough money to return to his boyhood club Boca Juniors.

He even admitted: “When I landed in China, I wanted to return to Boca.

“I’m content and happy here [in China]. I get to enjoy my family and live peacefully.

“I have gained in terms of family life but not from a football standpoint.

“In South America and Europe, players learn to play football when they’re kids, but not here. So technically they are not very good.

“Their football is very different. The fans treat it very differently as well. And I don’t think they are going to get to the same heights, not even in 50 years.

“It’s fine because I was on holiday for seven months.”

I used to hate football violence at the time, but now I think I'd honestly prefer fighting on the terraces to this.

Fear is the only enemy of capitalism.  Half and half scarves and "fan" zone singalongs like this, or piss-soaked socks and the risk of a punch in the face off a cockney?  Take your pick.

I know which side I'm on.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Carlos Tevez has labelled his time in the Chinese Super League as “like a holiday” after returning to Boca Juniors at the end of his seven-month spell as the world’s highest-paid player.

The former Manchester City and Manchester United frontman returned to his hometown club for a third spell earlier this month, after what can only be described as a less-than-successful time overseas in China with Shanghai Shenua.

Tevez was labelled overweight and disinterested during this time in the Far East and it seems as though criticisms are more than justified after a startling admission from the forward.

He told Argentine TV station TYC Sports: “It’s fine [to be called overweight and disinterested] because I was on holiday for seven months.”

Tevez’s annual salary at Shenua would have seen him earn £34million, but after seven months, the striker decided he had made enough money to return to his boyhood club Boca Juniors.

He even admitted: “When I landed in China, I wanted to return to Boca.

“I’m content and happy here [in China]. I get to enjoy my family and live peacefully.

“I have gained in terms of family life but not from a football standpoint.

“In South America and Europe, players learn to play football when they’re kids, but not here. So technically they are not very good.

“Their football is very different. The fans treat it very differently as well. And I don’t think they are going to get to the same heights, not even in 50 years.

“It’s fine because I was on holiday for seven months.”

Comes across as a cunt, but he always has been tbf. 

I used to hate football violence at the time, but now I think I'd honestly prefer fighting on the terraces to this.

Fear is the only enemy of capitalism. Half and half scarves and "fan" zone singalongs like this, or piss-soaked socks and the risk of a punch in the face off a cockney? Take your pick.

Cleaning the game up was of course needed and I suppose if whoppers and kids like this kind of thing then there is a place for it - but it does not sit right with me....the clean up has gone too far IMO and the soul of the club and the game has been scrubbed away/is being replaced by this kind of thing - how long before the club only wants the sort of 'customers' who want this sort of thing?...

Fear is the only enemy of capitalism.  Half and half scarves and "fan" zone singalongs like this, or piss-soaked socks and the risk of a punch in the face off a cockney?  Take your pick.

Yeah it is not like opposing fans used to stand on the same terracing and not knock seven shades of shit out of each other because their side conceeded a goal is it. I could not give a shit about half and half scarfs. If people want to wear them why not. All this I am better than you because I want to fight is shit. It really is.

Haha. I think this is quite funny in a good way actually.

When Nick Goff heard his mates were taking him to Saturday's Championship game between Brentford and Bolton for his stag do, he was no doubt delighted.

But the smile soon disappeared upon arrival at Griffin Park when they revealed he wouldn't merely be watching the fixture, but leading out the teams.

In a textbook stag stitch-up, his friends had clubbed together to find the £130 required for Mr Goff, 38, to be one of the matchday mascots.

483245C200000578-5275583-image-a-82_1516

38-year-old Nick Goff was stitched up by his mates on his stag do after they signed him up to be Brentford's mascot for their Championship game with Bolton Wanderers

Mr Goff is kitted out in the pub prior to his Griffin Park mascot experience last Saturday

4832517C00000578-5275583-image-a-83_1516

Goff listens intently as the matchday mascots receive instructions in the Griffin Park tunnel

4832517000000578-5275583-image-a-84_1516

The other mascots are primary school kids, meaning Goff certainly stood out in his full kit

4832515F00000578-5275583-image-a-85_1516

The stag was the same height as many of the Brentford players as he led them onto the pitch

The Brentford Junior Matchday Experience is usually enjoyed by primary school kids so the sight of a full-grown man in full Bees kit walking out alongside the players drew howls of laughter.

To his credit, the Wolves fan took the unexpected afternoon in good spirits, listening intently as a club official issued the instructions prior to walking out onto the pitch.

Wearing a No 18 shirt, he then strolled out with the players, took part in the customary pre-match handshakes and kickabout, and even posed for photographs with the two captains and match officials.

Unfortunately, any hope of the whole affair going under the radar was scuppered when photographs of Mr Goff in full kit went viral on social media on Saturday night.

4832513C00000578-5275583-image-a-87_1516

The stag had to take part in the customary pre-match handshakes and kickabout on the pitch

483250E000000578-5275583-image-a-86_1516

There was time for a commemorative photograph with the mascots before kick-off

483250D900000578-5275583-image-a-88_1516

The stag is led off the Griffin Park pitch, his mascot duties completed for the afternoon

To make matters worse, Brentford then put together a video compilation of his mascot 'experience' and posted it on their official Twitter account.

Mr Goff replied: 'Oh my goodness. Thanks! Everyone at Brentford was absolutely superb. Hope all of the 'real' mascots had a great day in spite of the imposter.'

It certainly raised the bar for stag do pranks.

• Upvote 7

Yeah it is not like opposing fans used to stand on the same terracing and not knock seven shades of shit out of each other because their side conceeded a goal is it. I could not give a shit about half and half scarfs. If people want to wear them why not. All this I am better than you because I want to fight is shit. It really is.

You are spot on about the fighting, totally.... but half scarves are just plain wrong.

That beaut with the Herman Munster haircut singing that Salah/Mane song on a stage outside the main stand to the Liverworld carrier bag brigade.....

Don't forget, it's also a comments section filled with people saying how you're supposed to enjoy yourself at the match and how you're not as much of a fan of you watch that sort of thing, and how it's exactly this which stops local lads going to the game, etc, etc.

I basically have stopped going to the match because it stopped being fun. If this helps the hundred or so people watching enjoy their day a little more, why the fuck not.

It was clearly just a couple of minute interlude to whatever band was playing on the stage at the time, which is just an added atmosphere around the stadium before the match.

Don't like it, walk past.

There's an awful lot more wrong with modern football than this.

• Upvote 2

Don't forget, it's also a comments section filled with people saying how you're supposed to enjoy yourself at the match and how you're not as much of a fan of you watch that sort of thing, and how it's exactly this which stops local lads going to the game, etc, etc.

I basically have stopped going to the match because it stopped being fun. If this helps the hundred or so people watching enjoy their day a little more, why the fuck not.

It was clearly just a couple of minute interlude to whatever band was playing on the stage at the time, which is just an added atmosphere around the stadium before the match.

We should exchange notes on why we think it ain't 'fun' any more. I had been to a game at Anfield precisely 100 times up to the winter of 2016 and I enjoyed every one, no matter how shitty the performance/result. The three games since have felt like drudgery - literally, in the sense of walking up to the ground and straight to my seat without breaking stride then leaving like there was a fire. I find this lad and his song to be cringe-inducing but jeez, if only a handful of people get a kick out of him, more power to him.

I always thought we as a fan base were the antithesis of the "soccer am culture" and therefore personally I think that kind of stuff has no place at our club.

But you will see from posts above though (number 2886) that i accept that if some people like it then there is a place for it - you are dead on about "if you don't like it walk past" though...I don't like it.

Some people do, you seem to be in favour of it - fair do's. Taking the piss out of it shouldn't be a 'crime' either if it existing in the first place isn't one though!

We should exchange notes on why we think it ain't 'fun' any more. I had been to a game at Anfield precisely 100 times up to the winter of 2016 and I enjoyed every one, no matter how shitty the performance/result. The three games since have felt like drudgery - literally, in the sense of walking up to the ground and straight to my seat without breaking stride then leaving like there was a fire. I find this lad and his song to be cringe-inducing but jeez, if only a handful of people get a kick out of him, more power to him.

For me it's simple, my mate that I used to go with stopped being able to get tickets because of the changes they made to the loyalty card scheme.

He had full credits and so he got tickets for every game and with my season ticket we would go together to almost every game, bar 3 or 4 where one of us would sell to a a mate of ours, but either way from Leeds we were going together with a mate, and having a cracking day out.

It would be two hours in a car together catching up on life and chatting shit, two hours at the match - sometimes able to catch up at half time if he had a kop ticket - and two hours home talking about the game.

Then a number of tickets became a free for all purchase, on sale while he was at work as a teacher and he missed out on one or two, meaning he no longer had enough credits to get some of the games in the next sale and it dwindled from there to the point it was no longer worth his while trying.

So now, going to the game is a 7 hour day out (I moved 30 minutes further away) on my own, to watch a team I have little emotional connection with, often in the cold, quite possibly not saying another word to anyone.

I still have my season ticket but only because I can't bear to give it up, but only go to three games a year with a couple of lads from work having the rest.

I keep waiting to feel that I miss it enough, but I don't. Not yet anyway.

I totally agree that the song and the singing of it is cringeworthy, but I'm a 36 year old bloke with responsibilities who doesn't watch soccer am. It's not for me.

There were less than 200 people gathered to watch it, at a guess, out of 50,000 or so at the game.

It's far from the epitome of the shortness of modern football.

I'd put paying SEVENTY FIVE MILLION POUNDS for a footballer - and a centre half at that - while food banks exist in the country and 20,000 jobs are at risk from Carillions demise, etc., a lot higher up the list.

• Upvote 1