You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

Just look at Suarez he worked harder than any striker ive ever seen, yet he was the most talented ive ever seen.

When you put in that amount of effort, fans forgive you missing chances. When you put in very little effort, they are far less forgiving.

And half the chances Suarez took were a result of him making them for himself through his work rate. Nobody did all the donkey work for him and gave him the final tap in.  When you loot at Aguero, Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo whether you love or hate them, they work their arse off. Hard work pays dividends.

The thing that bothers me the most is that he keeps missing, like all the fucking time. How often does he even really work a keeper? I'd kind of excuse his other weaknesses a bit if he could at least score. He's got 1 goal in what, 7 ish games? Just fancy him to miss every time he's in.

9 games.

due one in fairness

From the little I've seen of him, the only way you could realistically use him or his limited attributes would be as a target man. Trouble is he seems averse to getting in the box. Stupid fucking signing.

Rather use him for target practice tbh.

He was /is a fucking stupid signing 

Let's wait until we utilise him for the reason we bought him, to play up top with sturridge.

At the moment he's playing as a target man, that he's never really been that hood at, add into the fact the we've started the season like a team of OAPs rather than the blistering youngsters we dd last season.

We can't defend for toffee, our midfield looks like the proverbial chocolate teapot, but the striker is to blame!?

I know he's missed a few, and one glaring one today, but the two own goals were both as a result of defenders stopping the ball getting to him, when one goes in of his arse and Danny's back we'll see a different mario, then it's time to judge him properly

That miss today was unforgiveable, a total lack of composure and he hardly seemed bothered...can you imagine Suarez's reaction to missing that, he would be devoted and probably either kill somebody after it or go and chase down everything until he atoned.

I am all for giving the lad time, but that's the basics there, that and his annoying habit of taking on stupid shots rather than playing in others.

Guest Pistonbroke

Let's wait until we utilise him for the reason we bought him, to play up top with sturridge.

At the moment he's playing as a target man, that he's never really been that hood at, add into the fact the we've started the season like a team of OAPs rather than the blistering youngsters we dd last season.

We can't defend for toffee, our midfield looks like the proverbial chocolate teapot, but the striker is to blame!?

I know he's missed a few, and one glaring one today, but the two own goals were both as a result of defenders stopping the ball getting to him, when one goes in of his arse and Danny's back we'll see a different mario, then it's time to judge him properly

I think a lot of us can judge him properly now mate, he has never been a prolific striker and carries far too much baggage, all of his own doing too. He was a dodgy punt, turned out shiite and i doubt Sturridge returning will turn him into a 20+goal a season player. 

That miss today was unforgiveable, a total lack of composure and he hardly seemed bothered...can you imagine Suarez's reaction to missing that, he would be devoted and probably either kill somebody after it or go and chase down everything until he atoned.

I am all for giving the lad time, but that's the basics there, that and his annoying habit of taking on stupid shots rather than playing in others.

in all fairness they ball had bounced and did come across with abit of pace on it  hit his shin  and went over  but on the whole while we are mario bashing how about the other 10 players on the field ? they deserve an equal amount of bashing over that performance .......not looking forward to the madrid game much i have to confess

He should have at least 5 goals form relatively easy chances so far.  Confidence player?

I think the confidence player is right on the mark. He's a better player than we're seeing at the moment- but he's mentally very weak.

He's a sulker, and needs things to be going his way. If he gets one or two (yeah, not a chance the way he is playing right now!) he could go on a little streak - and will be a completely different player. Then he'll go a game or two without and turn poo again.

I think that's just the nature of this particular beast.

• Upvote 1

in all fairness they ball had bounced and did come across with abit of pace on it hit his shin and went over but on the whole while we are mario bashing how about the other 10 players on the field ? they deserve an equal amount of bashing over that performance .......not looking forward to the madrid game much i have to confess

We were poor today, no argument and haven't really clicked yet this season. All that said we are 5th and surely we will improve so it isn't all doom and gloom

I am not buying any defence for his miss today though, any decent striker scores that, I also can't defend his lack of awareness and decision making - that said I won't write him off yet, but he needs to improve.

As for Madrid, bring it on, nights like these have been missing for too long... I do fear a bumming though, but it might just be another one of those nights that are a part of this clubs DNA. I'd much rather have this game than watching the Mancs et al having them for the last 5 years.

• Upvote 1

If Lambert had started all the games Balotelli has - he would have scored more than a Mario's impressive 0 by now.

I judge strikers on goals, I'm a bit old fashioned like that - and my judgement here tells me Balotelli should not be in the team purely on this.

Give Lambert a chance, Balotelli's had his- and he's blown it.

This is what really annoys me.  This and the fact that's he's a lazy, slow shit bastard.

Every striker misses sitters sometimes.  It's perfectly forgiveable if you put the effort in to create loads more chances for yourself and your team-mates.

Those cringey scenes when he turned up to sign (with some prick pouring water on himself and some squeaky-voiced nobhead shouting "You're a legend") are starting to look like our version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnVRFWe88Yc

(OK, maybe not quite that embarrassing!)

• Upvote 1

When he arrived at City he was a bit of a character - and provided a lot of entertainment for us. A loveable rogue if you will, and that's why so many City fans like him. He's hard not to like as a person.

I'm obviously not a City fan but I live in Oldham and work in Manchester.  Pretty much every City fan I know says the same about him, a hugely likeable person but a hugely frustrating footballer.

A lot of the cult of personality around him is down to stuff that people outside of Manchester probably haven't heard about.  OK, crazy shit like the bathroom incident (in which some dickhead mates of his set the fireworks off, not Balotelli himself) made national news but there was a constant buzz of low-level nutty stuff as well.

For example when he first arrived at City he couldn't bring his dog with him due to quartantine regulations, so he used to turn up at Manchester Dogs Home (the one that got burned down recently) as a volunteer dog walker, fucking Premier League striker strolling around exercising rescue dogs.

Another time he was out in the car and needed a dump, so he stopped at Xaverian College which is a high school in Manchester to ask if he could use the bogs, as you do.  This is at lunchtime on a school day.  Did the deed, then decided to drop by the canteen and started chatting with the kids, popped into the staff room to say hello to the teachers and then went for a stroll round the place, kids following him with their mobiles out thinking 'is this really happening'.

I like the fact that he isn't the typical packaged identikit personality that so many modern sportsmen are where they won't ask someone the time without having their publicist check the wording.  Trouble is, his brain seems to work that way with everything - he just doesn't seem to give a fuck.

Yep.  Can't argue with you at all there, he wasn't bought to play up top alone.  That does kind of beg the question why the actual fuck are we playing him up top alone though. There's two issues at play here, one is rightly the dross that he's serving up within our current tactical plan (such as it is) but the other is why do we keep doing it and expecting a different outcome.

I do hope that he doesn't think he's going to waft about doing fuck all work and have Sturridge serve him chances on a plate though.  He's said a few times that his natural game is more around the box and that's fine when we've got someone playing up with him, as long as it involves working outside the box to create for the player who is in the box, not just loitering there waiting for someone to make him look good.

• Upvote 1

This is what really annoys me.  This and the fact that's he's a lazy, slow shit bastard.

Every striker misses sitters sometimes.  It's perfectly forgiveable if you put the effort in to create loads more chances for yourself and your team-mates.

Those cringey scenes when he turned up to sign (with some prick pouring water on himself and some squeaky-voiced nobhead shouting "You're a legend") are starting to look like our version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnVRFWe88Yc

(OK, maybe not quite that embarrassing!)

Frigging hell.That is eye and ear AIDS.