You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Anyway, it's all relative to what's happening in the pitch. I found myself nodding along to Rodgers' sage observations when we were after battering Man United at Old Trafford. I couldn't stand to listen to what was probably the exact same nonsense twelve months later when things were falling apart.

Exactly how I feel, 2013/14 I'd be hanging off his every word, thinking he's a genius.

12 months later I was praying for the cunt to shut up and stop chatting shite.

He had another good game in the final I thought. Not much he could do about any of the goals. I guess the only question mark is how deep the Croatians dropped to defend that free kick from which Mandzukic scored an own goal, but that's more about collective application than individual mistakes. Just like against Russia in extra time, they needed to adopt a much higher line and hold it.

There haven't been that many World Cup finalists who were Liverpool players at the time, and Lovren joins the small list of runners-up.

1966 - Hunt, Callaghan and Byrne were in the England squad but only Hunt started in the final. There were no subs in those days.

2002 - Hamann was on the losing side for Germany in the final.

2010 - Torres and Reina were in the Spain squad, and Torres came on as a sub in the final. Kuyt and Babel were in the Dutch squad, and Kuyt started the final but Babel didn't play.

2018 - Lovren started for Croatia in the final. If Aulas wasn't being such an ol' arse, we could have had France's Fekir as ours before the tournament started. He came on as a sub, and I think Deschamps brought him on as a sub in all their games.

1966 - Hunt, Callaghan and Byrne were in the England squad but only Hunt started in the final. There were no subs in those days.

Fun fact - Ian Callaghan had Nobby Stiles's false teeth in his pocket for the final.  He was meant to pass them to him at the end, but everyone got a bit carried away with the celebrations.

I don't know how you can call him "sound", Stig.

What is sound about him?

Not his defensive capabilities, nor his personality are the first two things that spring to mind.

I've learned to tolerate him, and he got better as last season went on (arguably our best player in Kiev... but then again.... so what?), but for a player as unreliable as he is, you'd think he'd have learned to not open his mouth to the press by now.

If he didn't play for Liverpool I wouldn't have an opinion on him, yet he thinks he's amongst the greats.

Deluded man; barely competent player.

• Upvote 2

Just imagine someone as shit as him played for another club and came out with that best defender nonsense. We’d find it hysterical.

It would be like Ashley Young saying he deserves to be talked about as one of the best left backs in the world.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how you can call him "sound", Stig.

What is sound about him?

Not his defensive capabilities, nor his personality are the first two things that spring to mind.

I've learned to tolerate him, and he got better as last season went on (arguably our best player in Kiev... but then again.... so what?), but for a player as unreliable as he is, you'd think he'd have learned to not open his mouth to the press by now.

If he didn't play for Liverpool I wouldn't have an opinion on him, yet he thinks he's amongst the greats.

Deluded man; barely competent player.

He has just played in a champions league final and a world cup final while you were wiping spunk off your sky remote. Pretty sure he is sounder than you.

He has just played in a champions league final and a world cup final while you were wiping spunk off your sky remote. Pretty sure he is sounder than you.

We know he's played in those games because he's told the world.  Varane hasn't.  Judging by that alone you could argue that one of them is "sound", the other a self-regarding moron.

And as if I would have Sky...

Your indignation alone is enough to turn me on.

• Upvote 1

We know he's played in those games because he's told the world. Varane hasn't. Judging by that alone you could argue that one of them is "sound", the other a self-regarding moron.

And as if I would have Sky...

Your indignation alone is enough to turn me on.

I've turned you on? Wrong thread Razor. Wrong thread.

Just imagine someone as shit as him played for another club and came out with that best defender nonsense. We’d find it hysterical.

It would be like Ashley Young saying he deserves to be talked about as one of the best left backs in the world.

Can we hope that someone will have seen him play in the World Cup final, listened to his nonsense, put 2 and 2 together and come in with a mass offer and take him off our hands?

• Upvote 1

He's had an ok tournament and after his somewhat competent last few seasons can now thankfully be described as average and not disastrous. 

But I can't believe people think he's actually good now. It's like when Mignolet was performing decently and people suddenly thought he was a fine goalkeeper because he wasn't throwing the ball into his own net anymore.

Plus, he's now entering the Rodgers realm where he feels like he needs to overcompensate for the criticism he receives by fellating himself in every interview. It's uncomfortable.

He's had an ok tournament and after his somewhat competent last few seasons can now thankfully be described as average and not disastrous.

But I can't believe people think he's actually good now. It's like when Mignolet was performing decently and people suddenly thought he was a fine goalkeeper because he wasn't throwing the ball into his own net anymore.

Plus, he's now entering the Rodgers realm where he feels like he needs to overcompensate for the criticism he receives by fellating himself in every interview. It's uncomfortable.

He just played in a world cup final while you had your trotters up. Not in Nice though because you ain't shit dawg. You ain't nothin.

In Lovren's defence, he was asked by a reporter in that interview about his "difficult season" which clearly irked him, because he has just had arguably the best season of his career, played in the CL final after some great performances and was talking after he made it to the WC final with a dark horse team after some great performances so he responded by saying it's time his critics realized... what he said.

It's not like he talks about his own greatness in every interview.  I know he will not hesitate to tell you he thinks he's very good but sometimes you have a feeling some people cannot wait for him to say or do something to rip into him, which for me is quite frankly reaching bizarre levels now.  I never rated him nor liked him much but the amount of unfair stick he gets made me feel quite protective of him over the last couple of years.  Until he fucks up that is. 

In Lovren's defence, he was asked by a reporter in that interview about his "difficult season" which clearly irked him, because he has just had arguably the best season of his career, played in the CL final after some great performances and was talking after he made it to the WC final with a dark horse team after some great performances so he responded by saying it's time his critics realized... what he said.

It's not like he talks about his own greatness in every interview. I know he will not hesitate to tell you he thinks he's very good but sometimes you have a feeling some people cannot wait for him to say or do something to rip into him, which for me is quite frankly reaching bizarre levels now. I never rated him nor liked him much but the amount of unfair stick he gets made me feel quite protective of him over the last couple of years. Until he fucks up that is.

Its the connection between verbally fellating himself and spectacularly bad results/performances that gets fans backs up. As lowly rated as Klavan is,his worst performances have been nowhere near as bad as Lovren's performances so maybe if Lovren just shut up then he may develop consistency. I do feel that his mouthing off is more about convincing himself than anybody else though.

Its the connection between verbally fellating himself and spectacularly bad results/performances that gets fans backs up. As lowly rated as Klavan is,his worst performances have been nowhere near as bad as Lovren's performances so maybe if Lovren just shut up then he may develop consistency. I do feel that his mouthing off is more about convincing himself than anybody else though.

Well, he most probably ain't gonna convince us Liverpool fans.

Maybe convincing himself and Klopp will be as good as it gets.