You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I've just read those quotes and I'm fuckin crying laughing. It's just such a typical Lovren thing to do. As others have said there's usually a colossal fuck up to follow which is unfortunate as I'd rather they win it than France. It also makes me wonder how many of our players, have noticed the same trend and if so what they think when they read one of his interviews.

I would say at least he's not short on confidence but I always get the feeling it's about convincing himself more than anything when he does this.

So, the last "colossal fuck-up" (apart from the "Nazi song" after the Argentine game) was Kane at Wembley.

9 or so months later, he tears Kane a new arsehole in the World Cup semi-final.

And the "colossal fuck-up" previous to Kane at Wembley was?

He's confident, but also needs to give confident interviews to subconsciously allay his insecurities.

After just playing a significant role in guiding his minnow country into football's World Cup Final.

In summary, a millennial sports person with some credentials and achievements is expressing confidence, either justified, faux or misplaced.

When can you slot me in for an appointment?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/i-am-one-of-the-best-defenders-in-the-world-claims-dejan-lovren-5nfz0btr7

Dejan Lovren believes that he has established himself as one of the world’s best defenders and deserves to be shown more respect after helping Croatia into the World Cup final.

The Liverpool centre back also said his country was now thirsty for “revenge” over France in Sunday’s showpiece as they seek to banish the memory of their semi-final defeat to same nation 20 years ago. Lovren continued the excellent form he displayed in the second half of Liverpool’s season by repelling England and crushing their dreams of a first appearance in the final since 1966.

He had been irritated on the eve of the game by references to his substitution after 31 minutes of a 4-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur back in October, when two errors allowed Harry Kane to open the scoring and create a second. But Lovren underlined his credentials in the Luzhniki Stadium with a dominant display. Kane was well marshalled by Croatia and Lovren took delight in thumbing his nose to the doubters once more. “It feels incredible, especially after everything that was said about us before the game,” Lovren said. “We showed our character. We showed that we deserved to be in the final and people should respect us. “Not just the English press, I am saying from the beginning. It is just sometimes it is unfair.

Like in my case when you are talking about me. I think people should respect me also. “I think I have done that [proved himself as one of the best defenders] without being arrogant. Definitely. “If you are in the final you are the two best teams in the world. “I received a question like, ‘What do you think about the 4-1?’ I really don’t understand these questions, always looking back to where I made some mistakes. I really don’t understand. There is too much about me. “But whatever - this is what gets me more motivated to work harder and prove everyone wrong. Everyone.” Lovren said Croatia’s mental strength proved the difference against England, Zlatko Dalic’s side summoning reserves of strength as they negotiated a third successive game that eked into extra time, with Mario Mandzukic’s 109th-minute goal decisive in the 2-1 victory.

France will begin the final as favourites with the prodigious Kylian Mbappé the latest talent Lovren will attempt to suppress as Croatia eye the ultimate prize. But having overcome Argentina and Lionel Messi in the group stage and now England, the 29-year-old harbours few fears. “The difference was mental. Mentally,” said Lovren. “Because we knew we could write history and we did it. Now there is only one game left to make it forever. “We went through a lot of shit again - war, all these things and even now the situation is not the best but it is unbelievable how many talents we have in sports if you look “At basketball, at handball, at water polo . . . tennis especially. I would say we have good mothers and fathers. They’re making good love I would say. “I think now after 20 years, people will remember us and not just the ‘98 team. This is what I wanted. This is why I am proud. “I was nine. I remember my mum was screaming and crying after the French game. Maybe it’s our time for revenge. It’s going to be a tough game, it will be difficult. “Mbappé is one of the best wingers/strikers in the world, but we played - I played also - against the biggest players in the world and we managed to keep them out of the goal. “Mbappé showed his quality in this tournament and his speed is unpredictable. I remember I was looking at Mbappé three years ago. He was playing against my brother. They are the same age. It was under 17s or under 16s - Croatia was playing against France. “I always believed that France is one of the favourites to win the World Cup. They showed in 2016 and now they’re here. It will be a big challenge, but I believe in this team. I said after the Argentina game I had a good feeling. People were mocking of us, but I felt we could do something.”

Within the space of two months, Lovren will have played in the Champions League final and the World Cup final and he is anxious to go a step further than Liverpool managed against Real Madrid in Kiev. “Beautiful,” he said. “If somebody told me that, from the beginning of the season, I would be in two of the biggest finals in the world, I would have signed straight away. I went through a lot of shit I would say. Unfortunately, I didn’t win the Champions League final, but there is still this. “It’s different, we have a lot of things to do to win this. I believed more that I could win the Champions League than coming here. In the Champions League, I believed from day one. We have the power and the speed. Here it is different players but we showed we can manage it. “This is my country and Liverpool is my club. I love this club. You saw me with tears in my eyes [after the final] and you saw I really care about this. It’s emotions.”

Lovren has just made it to the World Cup final with Croatia. World. Cup. Final. Emotionally, imagine the high he is on right now. Find it in your heart not to begrudge him some chest beating.

Don't be fucking stupid.   We Are Liverpool.   We finished top 4 don't you know?

He does seem to come across as a bit of a laugh with the rest of the team, Salah in particular. I reckon he's pissing himself over this, wind up merchant of the highest calibre.

And the point about him being shite, then having a period of not being shite and bragging about in the media only for him to make fuck ups immediately after is funny. If things stay relative then this episode of bragging in the media is going to be met with a hatrick of own goals or something.

To be honest though I've changed my opinion of him over the last 6 months or so, call it the Van Dijk effect or whatever but he's been one of our better players this season, and he didn't do much wrong in the Champs league final. Klopp made the right decision to keep hold of him while our heads were falling off. Hopefully Karius can show the same level of improvement.

Lovren has just made it to the World Cup final with Croatia. World. Cup. Final. Emotionally, imagine the high he is on right now. Find it in your heart not to begrudge him some chest beating.

I’m delighted for him, had a rough patch both professionally and personally, he came through it and will have played in a Champions League and World Cup final in a matter of months.

Hope Croatia win it.

• Upvote 2

Nazi. You would have thought it.

This is my favourite Croatian "Nazi song"... sung here by a bunch of balding, pot-bellied Nazi cunts at a village fair...

The melody and lyrics were written in 1893, when Croatia was a subjugate of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  A "Hajduk" is a Croatian brigand... the equivalent of a Fenian or some such... the song is basically about a mossy, rocky Croatian mountain (Velebit) in the province of Lika, supernatural flying things, wolves and love of place.

In the 1950s, Tito... himself a murderous "Communist" Croat... decided this song was seditious and potentially re-Nazist... despite his jails being full of any Croat who said "boo" or expressed a personal opinion against the glorious, independent Communist State in a pub, even in jest.  

So Tito banned the song... with all its incendiary and dangerous floral, faunal, romantic and geographical references.

It's the kind of Nazi Croatian song that Nazi cunts like Lovren and his team-mates might break into should they happen to win the World Cup for Croatia on Sunday... 

Lyrics:

Oh fairy, fairy of Velebit,

The pride of our kin,

Your glory is holy to us,

Croat exults to you, Fairy of Velebit,

The pride of our kin!

Long live, most dearest,

Long live, most dearest,

Long live, oh dearest,

The fairy of all Croats!

Velebit, the rock of fairies,

I cherish your immortelle (*a distinctive, local flowering plant)

I cherish the mountain wolf,

The hajduk of Lika.

Fairy of Velebit,

The pride of our kin!

Long live, most dearest,

Long live, most dearest,

Long live, oh dearest,

The fairy of all Croats!

He’s fully won me over now.

Whether it’s ludicrous levels of over-confidence or he’s deliberately winding up repetitive cry-arses, he’s got some fucking moxy and comments like those make me laugh.

A good defender is better for Liverpool than a comedian Shirley.

Dejan Lovren says he received a congratulatory text from Jurgen Klopp after the semi-final win over England. "He's proud of me and what I achieved. He knows what I went through. He's a good man. Even in tough times, he was always backing me up. I appreciated that."

He was extremely lucky not to be yellow carded and was struggling with Sterling's pace too. Last night shows that either Kane is injured or just a good penalty taker/flat track bully. Lovren improved once the game slowed and the Croatian midfield maestros took over. Overall he did well enough and may even go on to lift a WC winners medal. He is obviously still much better than the land mass named Harry Macguire but I just wish he'd shut the fuck up and let Modric,Rakitic et al do their best and he may just have something genuine to shout about.

Dejan Lovren says he received a congratulatory text from Jurgen Klopp after the semi-final win over England. "He's proud of me and what I achieved. He knows what I went through. He's a good man. Even in tough times, he was always backing me up. I appreciated that."

Good stuff from Dejan there. Klopp will be buzzing that he’s taken the time to mention him in an interview. A real boost for the manager ahead of the new season.