You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted with this start to the season 6 out of 6. It, quite literally, does not get any better.

A lot of people pointing to the negatives of our perfromance - and there were a few - but this was in an away game where we were in front against a team who turned over Arsenal and were unlucky to get nothing from Chelsea. I reckon Villa will have a good season and in a few months time this result will look even better.

As for the downside I think we have to accept that not everyone is fully up to match fitness yet and we are bedding in a few newcomers. My view is that we made a poor tactical change at half time and it just didn't work out as BR had hoped. I think he wanted Villa to commit more so we could hit them on the break. Unfortunately we never really got our game going in the second half. Instead we just conceded territory and possession. That said Villa didn't give us too much trouble. A handful of shots on target in a home game is not a good day at the office.

Bring on the scum - I can't wait.

We can only hope, them playing Chelsea on Monday benefits us.

Yep excellent position to be in for once, hopefully might allow us to play with a bit of freedom especially if the mancs get turned over and the pressure builds.

We need to remember that was an away win against an improving side, its the win that counts.

I'm just a bit frustrated because looking at the side and the way we play you can see that with a couple of quality additions to the side we could genuinely be a threat throughout the season.

Mignolet and Sturriidge have earned us 4 points in the first two games, first half today was great but we still look similar to last year so far with not killing games off while dominating and creating few clear chances, if it hadn't been for 2 great saves we could easily be 4 points down right now but hopefully confidence will be high going into next week.

A 6 out of 6 and then having Suarez coming back into the team would be unthinkable...

I'm just a bit frustrated because looking at the side and the way we play you can see that with a couple of quality additions to the side we could genuinely be a threat throughout the season.

A good win certainly lifts the spirits a bit but the reality is still the same. We need another CB (Sakho) and another quality striker. If we don't get these in we will have missed a massive chance to move on. We have had an excellent start to the season and Rodgers has developed an togetherness within the squad. There is a desire to win evey game and whether its August or April, it's still 3 points.

FSG need to support Rodgers. He has done an excellent job and, if he gets the support he deserves he will have us challenging for fourth this season.

Perhaps the majority of our fan base can start having a little respect for him.

It will be interesting to see how the mancs play against Chelsea. That result over Swansea flattered them, but then Chelsea weren't hugely impressive against Villa either.

I think we will beat Utd to be honest.

I'm hoping Moyes still exhibits the rabbit in headlights factor whenever he sees us on the horizon.

I'm hoping Moyes still exhibits the rabbit in headlights factor whenever he sees us on the horizon.

I think it will be a tight game but we will edge it. We need to assert ourselves though and not attempt a containment exercise like today.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Some of our fans say we can't win ugly. And when we do we get criticized to fuck. We won, didn't play as well as we can. BUT WE FUCKIN WON.

That's unbeaten in 10 league games. I think 6 of them without Suarez.

After the first half an hour we were pretty poor, but we won 1-0 away from home in a tough game that we had to show a lot of stones to win. We had to dig in. I have a number of concerns, not least the way we couldn't keep possession when Villa pressed us up the pitch but we defended pretty solidly and when called into question Mignolet again came up with the answers.

Great goal from Sturridge and we played well until that point. It's weird because I'm made up with winning the game and winning 2 in a row, especially at the start of the season, but we didn't play very well today. Coutinho was off colour and it told.

But yet we still won the game with relative ease. I was relieved to hear the full time whistle though, don't get me wrong. We are capable of playing much better and I'm sure we will. We'll have to next week.

My man of the match was Toure, apart from the odd couple of occasions he handled Benteke with ease. He's slotted in very well.

But we definitely need more players in, let's not lie although at this late phase I am expecting nothing.

For the first 25 minutes, it was like watching the Liverpool of the 70s and 80s. We were confident on the ball and played some glorious stuff. The Villa couldn't get near us. Then, we began to get sloppy and to be fair, they deserved a draw, as they were the better team for the last half an hour.

However, 3 points is 3 points. That was the kind of performance that the Mancs, City and Chelsea regularly have had over the last few years, as they've won trophies. I actually think Villa will be a tough nut to crack this season, so great to have a tricky away over and done with. Good job lads.

A game of two halves (sic). Good first half with an absolutely top drawer goal by Sturridge. Coutinho played his part in it too, the clever little wizard.

Poor second half where we gave them too much of the ball. I was consigned to defeat once that ball to Benteke went over Agger's head. But even at point blank range with a strong finish he couldn't beat Mignolet. What a fucking save!

Absolutely delighted with the win. Hand on heart, before the game I didn't think we'd pull it off.

Excellent result today. Ugly win. Fantastic. Mignolet and Toure great. Lucas continues to be the weak link and a liability. We need an upgrade there, or it will cost us dear this season. Moaning after a win does make people look cuntish though. So ill stop.

Agree but Lucas wasn't a weak link, not for seventy minutes of that game, he was good. Would wonder why he faded later as the lad has completed a full pre-season, but think you're being harsh.

I just wish the owners would take off the fiscal shackles to an extent, let Rodgers have a chance of signing players he wants. It's only early and six from six is great, I think he’s capable of doing very good things here given backing.

Agree but Lucas wasn't a weak link' date=' not for seventy minutes of that game, he was good. Would wonder why he faded later as the lad has completed a full pre-season, but think you're being harsh.

I just wish the owners would take off the fiscal shackles to an extent, let Rodgers have a chance of signing players he wants. It's only early and six from six is great, I think he’s capable of doing very good things here given backing.[/quote']

I thought villa looked to have more stamina, even though we started sharper - I don't think it was just Lucas who faded, it's just we were on the back foot and as a result it made it noticeable. I can only think the extra 90 mins in the week helped improve the fitness of the villa lads (although before the game I had hopped the opposite!).

Having said all that, if I had anything to do with it, that would be another position we'd strengthen, although I suspect it's not the managers top worry as at no point this summer has that position seemed something he felt needed support.

Agree but Lucas wasn't a weak link, not for seventy minutes of that game, he was good. Would wonder why he faded later as the lad has completed a full pre-season, but think you're being harsh.

I just wish the owners would take off the fiscal shackles to an extent, let Rodgers have a chance of signing players he wants. It's only early and six from six is great, I think he’s capable of doing very good things here given backing.

He is being harsh but he's never been a fan of Lucas to be fair from what I've seen on here.

That said towards the end there were a few times I was pissed off with Lucas whilst watching. I don't think a DM is needed however, because if we get a better player for the wing Henderson can provide the cover and Coutinho will play in his stead.

Agree with the rest, easy to say when it's not your money I suppose but Rodgers needs to be given a budget and then allowed to live and die by his signings for me. He's shown that he can have us playing very well so he deserves that type of backing at this point.