You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I must have watched it 20 times now, in HD, zoomed in, I can't see the touch. Any touch. I see Sturridge's foot knock it past his hand. It only ever looks like Guzan gets a touch when it's straight on (because that removes the depth).

I was skeptical about Toure and Mignolet but they've been very impressive so far.

Toure is a beast, its hard to believe he had fitness issues looking at him, built like a brick wall and great pace for a cb.

He already looks like our best summer signing to me and Im struggling to think of a better cb we could have got even if we spent big.He has everything you would want from a top cb plus all the experience he has.

Considering last season at Anfield Villa kept counter-attacking and going through us at will (they could have had 6) it was interestding to see us sit in our half and close down the space. Not saying I liked it, was just interesting. I'm sure that must have been in the manager's mind?

How many times in the first half did Aspas get clattered from behind? And the first time he goes into a player he got a yellow card.

Pens - I've always been of the opinion that it doesn't matter if the player/goalie touches the ball - if he's fouled the man, he's fouled the man, ball or no ball.

The number of times I've seen players volley an opponent into the air, only to argue it wasn't a foul because "I touched the ball". Just because they touched the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul. I thoght Sturridge should have had a penalty.

I think it's a grey area that needs addressing. At the end of the day though it's a contact sport. If you get the ball first and it isn't dangerous then it's not a foul. Nearly every single tackle you see involves contact so what you are suggesting is over the top. Can you point us to one of these times where a player has been volleyed into the air after a tackler has played the ball first? It's quite rare for it to happen and for me to think it was a pen so I would like to see one of these instances.

The keeper did get the slightest touch on the ball and you could see it on the replay so I immediately thought no penalty. The grey area is then what happens if the keeper gets a touch but the ball is still rolling into the players path and the keeper trips the player therefore impeding him.

My view is that if it's the same motion that got the ball that trips the player then it's not a foul. It's just tough luck and a good challenge. If there is a secondary motion to trip the player after playing the ball then it's a foul.

I think it's a grey area that needs addressing. At the end of the day though it's a contact sport. If you get the ball first and it isn't dangerous then it's not a foul. Nearly every single tackle you see involves contact so what you are suggesting is over the top. Can you point us to one of these times where a player has been volleyed into the air after a tackler has played the ball first? It's quite rare for it to happen and for me to think it was a pen so I would like to see one of these instances.

The keeper did get the slightest touch on the ball and you could see it on the replay so I immediately thought no penalty. The grey area is then what happens if the keeper gets a touch but the ball is still rolling into the players path and the keeper trips the player therefore impeding him.

My view is that if it's the same motion that got the ball that trips the player then it's not a foul. It's just tough luck and a good challenge. If there is a secondary motion to trip the player after playing the ball then it's a foul.

Good summary

The keeper did get the slightest touch on the ball

Two good points here.

Field players have now been made liable for whatever happens after the ball is touched - keepers are not.