You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So he left a champions league club to go to a club that wasn't in it. He had a similar offer from spurs at the time did he not, yet the special relationship with AVB meant nothing? Chelsea tried to sign him 2 years ago when he could have had CL and played in one of the worlds top leagues. I think he'll follow the money. I don't blame him for that, it's just I see it as our best chance of signing him and I assume if we think he's worth a fee of 30m we think he's fucking brilliant. It shouldn't be difficult to beat spurs on wages, supposedly their structure's highest level is below that of LFC. Tom Werner has told us we can financially compete with anyone. So lets use the best tool we have to secure this deal and offer willian a better deal than spurs. I promise you something if we don't be won't be coming here.

Of course, money is a major motivation here. I said that I was speculating about a situation in which the financial offers from Liverpool and Spurs were close if not identical. I think that's plausible. I don't think either club will blow the other out of the water in that respect (as one of the oligarch-owned clubs might).

Then the question is what other factors might play a role. European football of some description - and especially Champions League prospects - might be one such factor. And it wouldn't favour us over Spurs.

But I agree: we'll need to stump up the cash to have any chance...

Of course' date=' money is a major motivation here. I said that I was speculating about a situation in which the financial offers from Liverpool and Spurs were close if not identical. I think that's plausible. I don't think either club will blow the other out of the water in that respect (as one of the oligarch-owned clubs might).

Then the question is what other factors might play a role. European football of some description - and especially Champions League prospects - might be one such factor. And it wouldn't favour us over Spurs.

But I agree: we'll need to stump up the cash to have any chance...[/quote']

I don't know enough of the player to know what will be the other factors - I am just using the evidence that money will be a major factor to say we've got to get that one right. Maybe our winning position might be to remind him spurs have just signed a player in his position and maybe his best chance of getting in the World Cup is to play in a team where there's a place for him - that coupled with we're one of the most watched teams on the planet, so he will get maximum exposure.

But despite all that, that all assumes your premise is right we can't blow spurs away, why can't we? Just put a good deal in front of him with clauses that allow his pay to increase coupled with his achievements and the teams. Our top end can be (or supposedly is) way, way above what spurs offer, lets incentivise the contract so he sees that and realises he can make a large financial move forward ahead of anything on the table at spurs providing he does a good job. I think that would be far more telling than AVB speaking Portuguese and heathrow has more flights than JLA.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We certainly have trimmed enough off the wage bill to liberate funds. If we lose out because of wages then you'd have to question the owners' intent.

Well, there has to be some sort of sensible limit. At most, Willian will be paying 13% income tax. He would need to pay 45% here. If we need to pay him a stupid amount just to match his wages... Well, there has to be a line.

I would imagine his agent is searching for that line. Or trying to move the line.

Well, there has to be some sort of sensible limit. At most, Willian will be paying 13% income tax. He would need to pay 45% here. If we need to pay him a stupid amount just to match his wages... Well, there has to be a line.

I would imagine his agent is searching for that line. Or trying to move the line.

I agree, but I was referring to losing out to Spurs because of wages. I can't believe the difference between what they would offer and what we would could be that great, especially when they supposedly have a more rigid wage scale.

I wouldn't offer him a blank cheque, just a bit more than Spurs.

When we've been directly up against Spurs for signings it usually hasn't ended well for anyone.

Carroll and Cole vs Sigurdsson and Dempsey.

Charlie Adam as well

also didn't they bid for Joe Allen which allowed us to bid as theirs had met the release clause thus been accepted? To be fair I do rate him as a player, just not sure where he fits in

We pulled out of the sugurdsson and Dempsey deals its not the case they chose spurs over us.

If we are in for William as strong as reports suggest I am very confident we will get him, we are bigger club then spurs going for the same goal who would offer him more first team opportunities.

From what I've seen of him he's a top player and we should rap this up quickly before champs league teams come sniffing.

• Downvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But they do have to agree a fee that's acceptable to the vendor' date=' NV.[/quote']

Yeah, eventually. They'll know the ball park. What I mean is, AvB saying they e not bid really is just a technicality.