You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

One of the best dishes in the world is tacos al pastor.  Find a decent roadside stand anywhere in the US where there are construction and agricultural workers in the area and buy them for $1/taco, absolutely amazing.

I try all the time to make them at home, still amazing (rather like pizza, it's hard to make it where it actually tastes bad) but not a patch on the real thing.  Loaded up with cilantro and lime, making my mouth water just typing this.

20120524-grilled-pork-memorial-day-round

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Keeps an eye on the ailment thread

Ha ha - my thought as well.

Or a new thread "does anyone else have less than ten fingers" ?

Nothing personal Remmie - I've come close with my mandoline in the past. My advice - don't drink and dice

• Upvote 1

Been looking forward to playing with my new toys all day, they finally arrived.

91fe664dae39d8a5b1c218d660349d92.jpg

Ha ha - my thought as well.

Or a new thread "does anyone else have less than ten fingers" ?

Nothing personal Remmie - I've come close with my mandoline in the past. My advice - don't drink and dice

Get a filleting glove from an angling shop and hold stuff with it when you use the mandolin.

Excellent for my secret life of crime...I can just remove my fingerprints!

The Mandolin comes with a finger saver device, though I already didn't use them with mushrooms. I will cut myself within 2 weeks guaranteed!

Excellent for my secret life of crime...I can just remove my fingerprints!

The Mandolin comes with a finger saver device, though I already didn't use them with mushrooms. I will cut myself within 2 weeks guaranteed!

Or use the guard that comes with it. But either way use protection (oo-er).

I took the tip off a finger with my mandolin. It was so sharp it sliced the skin off with no bleeding.

Those guard/protectors are a danger in themselves, a filleting glove will stop any cuts at all.But hey, they're your fingers

I made a boss tagliatelle dish last night with chopped bacon, mushrooms, garlic, smoked salmon (grilled so its easy to crumble) and a sauce made out butter softened onions, flour, black pepper, garlic and herb cream cheese, chicken stock and a squirt of sriracha chilli sauce. Sprinkle of parmesan on top. 

Absolutely joyous. 

Those guard/protectors are a danger in themselves, a filleting glove will stop any cuts at all.But hey, they're your fingers

There are some special gloves for mandolins available and I know I should buy them but in reality will probably not get round to doing it until I cut myself

There are some special gloves for mandolins available and I know I should buy them but in reality will probably not get round to doing it until I cut myself

Watching Rick Stein cut himself using one on TV has always put me off using them.

This lemon & fennel risotto is amazing

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/28/fennel-and-lemon-risotto-recipe-rachel-roddy

Going to have a go at her Italian veggie Easter pie next week

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/04/spinach-herb-and-ricotta-pie-recipe-rachel-roddy-torta-pasqualina

Rachel Roddy is fast becoming a favourite in our house, might have to find a book from her

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

V funny. Neeeeext?

Freezing cheese is fine if you're going to be cooking with it, otherwise not so much...

http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/135/page:1

"Question: My local grocery store is currently running a special on cheddar cheese. Is it a good idea to stock up and freeze it?

Answer: You can freeze cheese successfully if you’re planning to use it for cooking purposes. 

Frozen cheese will remain safe to consume, but it will typically change texture and often become crumbly once thawed, says the National Dairy Council."

I think the answer here is to buy less cheese, Champ.

Either that or just go straight on to heroin.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely dinner last night, courtesy of Trader Joe's, which is sort of like the food section at Marks and Spencer.

Starter was shrimp and crab pot stickers (Chinese dumplings). Had a little kick to them too. Lovely. Washed down with a nice glass of Chilean white wine. Main course was a kebab. I know they are ten a penny back home and easy to come by, but I've missed the taste and hadn't had one in years. The meat was thinly sliced lamb and beef, spiced to perfection and a lot less fatty than a kebab takeaway. Tomato, onion, tzatziki sauce in a nice warm and slightly fluffy pita bread. For desert it was a chocolate and almond tart with a bit of fresh cream and a nice glass of red wine.

Took our time with it. A very eclectic meal but lovely nevertheless.