You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Completely screwed up a risotto primavera today - didn't have enough stock prepared and a result undercooked both the broad beans and peas which both turned out to be pretty tasteless despite being fresh. And it took me bloody ages to shell them and then to peel the beans

Hate it when risotto is poor, feels like I should have just boiled a pack of rice and chucked some veg on top

• Upvote 1

Completely screwed up a risotto primavera today - didn't have enough stock prepared and a result undercooked both the broad beans and peas which both turned out to be pretty tasteless despite being fresh. And it took me bloody ages to shell them and then to peel the beans

Hate it when risotto is poor, feels like I should have just boiled a pack of rice and chucked some veg on top

repped for being man enough to admit your failures.

doing a big mexican feast tonight for guests.

1.) ceviche for starters - ling cod, fresh corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and lime

2.) black bean, corn and avocado salad

3.) pork belly tacos with apple/avocado guacamole

4.) classic mexican beef (arrachera) - 36 hour marinated flank or hanger steak grilled to perfection and served with bbq corn

5.) key lime pie for dessert (guests making it)

no pineapple whatsoever.

• Upvote 3

doing a big mexican feast tonight for guests.

1.) ceviche for starters - ling cod, fresh corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and lime

2.) black bean, corn and avocado salad

3.) pork belly tacos with apple/avocado guacamole

4.) classic mexican beef (arrachera) - 36 hour marinated flank or hanger steak grilled to perfection and served with bbq corn

5.) key lime pie for dessert (guests making it)

no pineapple whatsoever.

I want to eat at yours, I don't know how to make key lime pie but I can bring ice cream to go with it

• Upvote 1

I've tried soya milk for the first time today. I might stick with it. I prefer it to cow juice.

We've been converts to non-dairy milk for years, as part of an overall reduction in the amount of animal products we eat and also because cow's milk can cause me problems during IBD flare ups. We've tried allsorts and I tend to prefer nut and oat milks (almond is great) to soya. My one issue is that I can't find a decent non-dairy milk to make a good weekend latte with, so I still have cow's milk for a few drinks at a weekend. I tend to find the alternatives split due to the acidity of fresh coffee, anyone found one that doesn't have this issue?

I love Mexican food, what time do you want me over, Neko?

I find myself cooking quite a bit of Mexican food as it's great for non-meat eaters. My missus is pescetarian and for years I've been a 'meat reducer' (I actually get blamed for turning the missus, as though there's blamed to be apportioned). I've talked on here before abut getting away from the British mentality of vegetables being the side dish to meat and I find Mexican, Indian, Thai, Chinese and Middle Eastern food to suit us best.

This week we've had a sublime Meze with a mint and pomegranate tabouleh, halloumi, homemade hummus, red pepper dressing, olives, tomatoes and roasted coconut broccoli.

We spent last Saturday afternoon making gyoza, with a filling of mushroom, carrot, tofu, ginger, soy and chilli and served them with some sticky rice and grilled tempeh in a katsup and soy marinade.

Our weekly Mexican dish was tofu tacos. Battered and fried pieces of firm tofu, served in tacos with a simple slaw, avocado, cashew nut cream and zingy lime and coriander dressing.

Despite protests to the contrary, none of those dishes would be better with meat.

Finally, despite us being less reliant on meat products, we've started keeping chickens and now have a steady supply (20+ a week) of eggs. Any suggestions? We eat an egg based breakfast at the weekend and a meal during the week (a quick frittata the night I go out), it'd be nice to get some variety. If you've never had 'Mexican Eggs', as we call it in our house then get on it. It's basically scrambled egg with freshly made guacamole, salsa and sour cream (again, made with cashew nuts). A delicious and fresh way to start a weekend.

• Upvote 1

Repped for using skirt steak there - proper.

How long are you leaving the cod in the juice?

the marinated flank was amazing - 36 hours in a citrus-based marinate left it very tender.

the cod only needs about five minutes before it goes from raw translucency to wrinkly and pure white from the acid in the lime...it's my new favorite fish for ceviche.

• Upvote 1

Bought a box of fresh adolpho mangoes really cheap and decided to make a chicken mango curry last night.

Carrying on from the whole pineapple pizza / sweet and savory debate, I wasn't really sure if it was going to work, but the internet reassured me.

Pretty standard curry to make actually -  Chicken marinated in garlic, ginger and coconut milk for a few hours. Some cardamom, cinnamon and mustard seeds to start. Then onions and spices (cumin, mango powder, chili, turmeric, curry powder...) . Chicken back in with rest of coconut milk and the mango to finish. Garnish with cilantro (coriander to you).

The taste was sublime.....9/10.

Not sweet at all. The chicken and mangoes go really well together with a bit of spice/heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to this restaurant yesterday and had the Wizard of Oz tasting menu. Very good food and an interesting concept

http://konyvbar.hu/en/eddigi-konyveink/

Tonight, we're drinking Cristal 2002. I bought the old man a bottle for his birthday in 2008, which he's kept for a special occasion and tonight's the night. Got very lucky with the vintage as that year is supposed to one of the best from the last 30 years

Went to this restaurant yesterday and had the Wizard of Oz tasting menu. Very good food and an interesting concept

http://konyvbar.hu/en/eddigi-konyveink/

Tonight, we're drinking Cristal 2002. I bought the old man a bottle for his birthday in 2008, which he's kept for a special occasion and tonight's the night. Got very lucky with the vintage as that year is supposed to one of the best from the last 30 years

Fuckng hell mate.

My ol fella gets a polo shirt, a round of golf and a case of cider.

Non-dairy milk is great for cereal (I like oat, almond and coconut best) but terrible for coffee. The acidity of fresh coffee seems to curdle every dairy alternative I've tried, any suggestions?