You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

I am surprised that we haven't had any news stories that Sturridge either wants to leave or such and such are going to make a bid for him. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was listening to Talksport last week, I work nights so was about 1am, and Goldstein & Cundy (yes,I know!) were starting a rumour that they'd heard he was off to City if we didn't get get Champs League. Goldstein said he'd heard it off a mate in the press.

I think we all agree the summer was a bad window. There's not a lot that can be done about it now so its a question of trying to make it work.

One isnt a finisher (sterling)? I disagree there. If you're wanting more than £70k a week as a 20 year old, you should be able to bring something more to the table than just being able to run with a ball quickly.

Im not hanging the lad out to dry but, I dont recall people saying he wasnt a finisher when he found the net against city and a few others last season. Granted, his confidence may be shot but hey, if you want big bucks, expect questions when you dont deliver.

I though balotelli had a real go with his attempts. Doesnt look like he's going to break his duck here though.

Sterling will of course score some goals, but he isn't a natural finisher, scoring goals isn't his main strength or his main job really.

Balotelli is meant to be a goalscorer but he isn't doing the business of course.

We really shouldnt have just Sturridge as a genuine goal threat at the club given what he have spent and what we have lost. Is there a team in the top half with worse striking options than us?

IMO Brendan got his tactics wrong against Basel. Tonight, however, he did what he should do against a slow manc defense: Speed, speed, speed and high pressure. I believe his tactics succeeded with 6-7 clear chances. Not scoring on those chances is criminal but the blame for that should be put on the players.

I guess Rooney wouldn't be left all alone for their first had we had Lucas on the field. But that would've meant leaving one of our front men out, who caused the mancs all sorts of problems.

I think today was a step in the right direction. Play like we did tonight and 4th place is within reach.

For sure Rogers must share the blame for what happened this summer. Right now he’s trying to find a way out of it. I say: Let him do the job! Bringing in a new one isn’t going to solve anything, That would just be putting us back to square one. 

• Downvote 1

And seeing as we missed out on sanchez, who else was available? Would it have been a good idea to resurrect the remy deal? Or go into the season with just Sturridge and Lambert?

It would have been good to complete the thing in the first instance.

For sure Rogers must share the blame for what happened this summer. Right now he’s trying to find a way out of it. I say: Let him do the job! Bringing in a new one isn’t going to solve anything, That would just be putting us back to square one. 

Really? a new manager isn't going to solve anything? ...and we're already back to square one, we have been for a couple of months.

And seeing as we missed out on sanchez, who else was available? Would it have been a good idea to resurrect the remy deal? Or go into the season with just Sturridge and Lambert?

Keep seeing this, were there no other strikers available in world football? Sanchez didn't pull out of any deal at the 11th hour, he was never heading here, not having contingencies in place was a joke. I could shit into a panini album and unstick it at a random page and still find at least 15 strikers better than Baloteli. It's just amateur hour from top to bottom.

• Upvote 9

the question really is what the fuck are our scouts paid for if these are the list of options they came back with. Going from a top talent like Sanchez to a proven liability and shite player like Balotelli.

I'm not an expert in other leagues and players but even I knew that signing Balotelli was a massive risk not worth taking.

Enner valencia sakho song thats just one club off the top of my head who have brought in players that would have improved us am not having this shit that mario or lovren we the only players we could get it may be true due to the utter spackers running the club but its not an excuse hes signed up to all of this and signed off on most of it so its hard to see beyond him needing his knackers flicked by purple aki.

fans questioning Rodgers should have a long look at themselves and try and understand the Club.

1st half of season of 84-85 we lose our best player and take 6 months to re-adjust.  We never manage this in 09-10.

Boxing Day 81, we are 12th, playing worst football than now, but Paisley manages to replace five ageing stars of our greatest ever team (Thompson, Jimmy,  Terry Mac, Ray Kennedy, David Johnson) with five young lads and we win the league that season.

the great 87-88 side has  a miserable start to the following season being around the relegation zone in October.

And so the great 13-14 team has lost its star player, its focal point, corrections within that team need to be made (eg better centre back/ left back/ defensive midfielder etc), we have not been done so adequately and we lose the other key striker to injury.

Last season, we got 2.2 points per game with Sturridge as our only attacker (more than him and Suarez starting), so let's have a little faith in a manager who got us playing the best football by a Liverpool side for 25 years. 

It will come good in the 2nd half of the season, as history tells us.

Guest davelfc

fans questioning Rodgers should have a long look at themselves and try and understand the Club.

1st half of season of 84-85 we lose our best player and take 6 months to re-adjust.  We never manage this in 09-10.

Boxing Day 81, we are 12th, playing worst football than now, but Paisley manages to replace five ageing stars of our greatest ever team (Thompson, Jimmy,  Terry Mac, Ray Kennedy, David Johnson) with five young lads and we win the league that season.

the great 87-88 side has  a miserable start to the following season being around the relegation zone in October.

And so the great 13-14 team has lost its star player, its focal point, corrections within that team need to be made (eg better centre back/ left back/ defensive midfielder etc), we have not been done so adequately and we lose the other key striker to injury.

Last season, we got 2.2 points per game with Sturridge as our only attacker (more than him and Suarez starting), so let's have a little faith in a manager who got us playing the best football by a Liverpool side for 25 years. 

Get back to rawk and stay there. 

• Upvote 10

Keep seeing this, were there no other strikers available in world football? Sanchez didn't pull out of any deal at the 11th hour, he was never heading here, not having contingencies in place was a joke. I could shit into a panini album and unstick it at a random page and still find at least 15 strikers better than Baloteli. It's just amateur hour from top to bottom.

The question isnt just were there no other strikers available. It keeps coming back if so, who, would they come here, could we get a work permit for them if they werent EU nationals etc?

Its fine saying yes, there were others and we are Liverpool so they're bound to sign for us but its a different story actually getting the deals done in time.

Everyone has different opinions. I dont know which one is right but I do know you dont flick a switch and player 'x' suddenly signs.

Does anyone really know why the remy deal fell through? Why didnt Higuain come here? The propositions are endless.

you might not remember this little ditty that was sung in the Grand Place on that fateful day in 85:

"There was a time last season,

not so long ago,

when all the blue-nosed bastards ,

said Kendall he must go,

because they won a trophy,

they all come back with pride,

you fucking blue nose bastards,

you're the shite of Merseyside"

we're now the two face bastards

Guest Super Sub

I have faith that our season will pick up and Rodgers job will be safe. I don't know why but I have a gut feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No it doesn't.

Paisley had won four league titles by 81 and two European cups.

Are you suggesting Rodgers is a better manager than Paisley?

Dalglish had won two leagues and the FA Cup by then are you suggesting Rodgers is better than Kenny then?

And you undermine your own argument name one signing by Rodgers as good as Grobbelaar, Nicol, Rush, Lawrenson, Beglin & Gilespie?

• Upvote 1

Anything is possible in football. I think recent history tells us once a season goes to shit it rarely turns around.

I personally think and have said it a few times already I'm almost in no doubt that we'll hit a patch of good form. We always do.

The problem is it'll probably be when 4th or better is well out of sight and we've been dumped out the cups. I do have a sneaky sneaky feeling we could just hit form the right time for the Europa league.

Also though a lot depends on January. 1/2 good signings could make a huge difference. But will there even be any money? No indication either way at the minute from anyone.

my point is that we have been here before...we've had shit starts/ 1st half of the seasons before, even with our greatest ever  teams.

we need to use this context and keep faith with Brendan who will get it right in the second half of the season once Sturridge is back /another striker is signed.

my point is that we have been here before...we've had shit starts/ 1st half of the seasons before, even with our greatest ever  teams.

we need to use this context and keep faith with Brendan who will get it right in the second half of the season once Sturridge is back /another striker is signed.

Big if on the other striker and sturridge is also a huge if these days too. You may well be proved right like but its hard to see it right now

Guest davelfc

You remember the 1964 season then.

Rodgers hasn't got it right yet after all these years, same mistakes with more expensive players.  Each game that passes the players lose confidence and the crowd get on their back. It's horrible at the home games, quiet for a while and then after a few poor passes the crowd are in full moan mode. I've not heard so much discontent at the game since Woy was here.

Difficult to knock them when they're spunking £50 odd quid to watch grown millionaires fuck about on a pitch. Harder still when the man responsible for those baffling tactics starts the 'soon to be sacked' post match speeches that we've all heard before from others.

There's not a Liverpool fan out there that doesn't want it to turn around, I keep hoping that this leap will finally be the one where I return home, Al, Ziggy?