You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I just read this again now.

Dont tell me he seriously has repeated that propaganda bullshite once again?

It was bad enough to do it when he signed his contract, but to now come out and repeat it.

Give us a break Rodgers, we are not all idiots.

I know Code your right mate, its just you !

All the doom mongering provoked me into having a look around for players who (a) would improve our squad and (b) we could realistically sign. Without wishing to go all Football Manager, the players I believe may be worth looking at are (values from Transfermarkt):-

Attacking Midfielder

Remy Cabella (Montpellier) £7m - Up and coming 23 year old French talent who can operate from the right or centrally. He would certainly represent an upgrade on Downing and performed very well against Arsenal in the CL. Late starter due to a bad injury when he was younger but appears to be improving rapidly.

Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV) £6.5m - Another player capable of operating from the right or centrally. Excellent scoring rate over a few seasons for a guy who is only 22 and has just broken into the full Dutch squad. 18 goals in 28 games for PSV last season is not to be sniffed at.

Christian Eriksen (Ajax) £16m - Plenty has been said about him already but he is available at a discount due to his contract situation and is clearly a player with pedigree. Can we afford to be too picky in our current plight?

Forwards

Alfred Finnbogason (Heerenveen) £4m - 24 year old striker who bagged 38 goals in 47 games last season. Could be the next Kezman or Van Nistelrooy but hopefully our scouts are having a good look and trying to decide.

Wissam Ben Yedder (Toulouse) £5m - Just broke into the Toulouse team this season and netted 15 goals in 34 games. He is quick and skillful and definitely not afraid to take a player on.

Luis Muriel (Udinese) £13m - Pacey and erratic Columbian forward who could be the next global superstar or Tino Asprilla.

Other players who look to be worth closer inspection are Ludovic Sane (Centre Back for Bordeaux), Rodrigo (Wide Forward for Benfica), Konoplyanka (Dnipro / Winger), and Yarmolenko (Dynamo Kiev / Winger).

Also, what about taking a punt on getting one of Bayern's attacking players in on loan as it is a World Cup year and they will not be able to accommodate their embarrassment of riches - Kroos or Shaqiri perhaps? Similarly, Barca may possibly be willing to part with Affellay or Tello for a year. Zero risk / outlay for a potentially significant return.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't improve our first XI this Summer if the will and funds are there. Papadopolous and the best one or two of the above would leave us in much better shape.

Plenty of players play for much shitter teams than us, some in much shitter leagues, that would drastically improve us.

I'm better than Downing, for e.g.

Names?

To be fair to the club we are in the dreaded netherworld where most players are still not good enough for us, and the ones that are will be touted to the Top Four and Euro elite first, leaving us with the gambles.

Names?

To be fair to the club we are in the dreaded netherworld where most players are still not good enough for us, and the ones that are will be touted to the Top Four and Euro elite first, leaving us with the gambles.

Can't be arsed to compile a list of players I'd like us to sign, apologies.

But look at some of the players that have already joined other clubs in the Premier League that finished outside the top six last season -

Deulofeu

van Wolfswinkel

Fer

Amorebieta

Lovren

Giaccherini

Bony

Absolute nonsense to suggest we simply can't get quality players in when fucking Norwich can.