You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

It is going to be a lot of changes to a defence that needs tightening up! A new goalie, 3 new centre backs and a defensive midfielder is a lot to bring in. Hopefully this is done early doors so that they are ready - I can see Toure starting alongside Agger and Popadopoulos gradually being integrated.

Reina still doesn't totally convince - I love the lad, but 5 minutes from the end against Everton and he flaps at a deflected cross and puts it out for a corner!

Hey, if Sunderland can change their entire defensive line, then why can't we? Seriously though, I think it would be tempting trouble if we changed the spine of our defensive line up so drastically. A complete change of goalie, 2-3 new centre halves and a defensive midfielder for our team, especially since they've just had one year with a new manager after so many managerial changes, I don't think will work as well as we hope and I wouldn't expect to compete for anything next season.

To be honest, Pepe did have a bad season. If having a bad season is keeping the second highest number of clean sheets, then I would accept that.

It just means there is room for improvement. A bad season by Pepe, is a great season by someone as mediocre as David De Gea. What I cannot understand is how De Gea got into the premiership team of the season when he's not in the top 5 keepers.

There is serious bias there. I also cannot understand how Rio Ferdinand and Michael Carrick got in it either, there is clearly better players. I don't have the time to name them.

Back to Pepe. He's using his feet more than he's ever done. So maybe that was something he had to get used to. There was a mention of his kicking being substandard.

This was the first season where he had to do a lot of kicking out. Usually the defence played pretty deep and he just rolled the ball out. However this season the defence played further up the pitch.

In a nutshell there was going to be teething problems. Not just with Pepe, but with the entire defence. There was also the fact that for a long time we didn't have a settled defence and Pepe spent time out injured which also caused dispruptions.

What do I want to see? A settled defence, and the same standard as the second half of the season from Pepe.

Is there anything he can do?

His distribution is honesty one of the best i've seen in a goalkeeper, he's very fast out of the box when there are 1 v 1 situations, he's a good communicator, his agility is excellent, he doesn't panic when an attacker is closing down on him when he has the ball. But at the end of the day there is only so much a 6 foot 2 goalkeeper can do in a 8 foot by 12 foot net.

not sure what to make of Jonjo at the moment, worth keeping based on first half of last year, would sell at a decent offer based on second half of last year

suppose a telling factor could be that Henderson is better than him and not much older and plays similar positions and whilst Allen is a completely different player so hard to compare will definately be more in Brendan's plans whilst Stevie and Lucas are no brainers for keeping so if we are to sign Eriksen or someone one of Jonjo, Henderson or Allen have to go

assuming its not total bollocks as it is likely to be from talksport of course....

Stoke have dismissed claims that Asmir Begovic will join Liverpool as 'complete fabrication'.

The Anfield club are expected to go head-to-head with Arsenal in their pursuit of the Bosnian goalkeeper in the upcoming transfer window should Pepe Reina rejoin Barcelona this summer.

Begovic has emerged as one of the Premier League's outstanding stoppers this season as the Potters avoided relegation despite parting company with manager Tony Pulis this week.

But newspaper reports in the 25-year-old's homeland on Tuesday alleged that he had agreed in principle to join Liverpool in time for their pre-season training schedule in July.

Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes, however, has today refuted those claims.

He said: "Asmir's agent rang me as soon as these stories surfaced. He assures me that Asmir doesn't know the Bosnian journalist and has certainly never spoken to him.

"It's complete fabrication and unfortunately it has been picked up by a paper in this country.

"It's inevitable when a manager parts company with a club that there's a period of uncertainty and erroneous newspaper reports certainly don't help matters."

I think at his age, it really is best he moves on. Hes no youngster and is struggling to make a mark here - I knew he would go and to be honest, West Ham would be a great move for him.

It might also help convince Carroll to go there too, though i'm not sure just how good mates him and Jonjo are so thats pure guesswork.

No smoke without fire, no matter how much backtracking is done.

I think Jonjo's time here is at an end. Rodgers put a lot of faith in him initially and that was thrown back in his face because Jonjo just couldn't be disciplined. No matter how talented the lad is, he's not going to get a look-in if the manager can't trust him to not act a tit and risk a result. It's the Taarabt-factor, great talent, just too stupid to see their faults and rectify them.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and his senior coaching staff met in a Chester hotel immediately the season ended to answer one important question. How do we make real progress next season?

Rodgers had already been promised around £20 million to spend, plus, importantly, whatever he could generate from sales, but the money has not been earmarked for a flagship signing. In fact, the coaching staff were unanimous, that if the team was to move forward, the defence had to be scrapped and rebuilt. The retirement of Jamie Carragher had brought even more focus on the problem.

Apart from Daniel Agger, the defence is regarded as either underperforming or simply inexperienced and Rodger’s intends to bring in up to three experienced defenders.

The first, Kalo Toure, out of contract with Manchester City, has already been lined up but Rodgers is also exploring moves for Manchester City’s Joleon Lescott and Alexander Kolorov. Others in the frame include FC Twente’s Brazilian defender Douglas and, increasingly likely, the highly-rated Greece international Kyriakos Papadopoulos

The suggestion with the last is that the club will soon table a £12 million bid.

Although just 21, Papadopoulos has huge experience, having become the youngest-ever player in the Greek league at the age of 15. The Schalke star has already turned down a £16m move to Russia’s Zenit St Petersburg, but would relish the opportunity of lining up alongside Toure at the heart of the new-look Liverpool defence.

Rodger’s loses patience with Liverpool FC defence | Cheshire Today - News, Sport and Fashion - www.cheshire-today.co.uk

Can't see Cheshire Today having any real insight to be honest but thought it was worth posting, interesting about Lescott but can't see us signing both him and Toure and Toure seems likely, wouldn't be keen on Kolarov either, Enrique's better and he'd probably cost more than he is worth to be cover

not sure what to make of Jonjo at the moment, worth keeping based on first half of last year, would sell at a decent offer based on second half of last year

suppose a telling factor could be that Henderson is better than him and not much older and plays similar positions and whilst Allen is a completely different player so hard to compare will definately be more in Brendan's plans whilst Stevie and Lucas are no brainers for keeping so if we are to sign Eriksen or someone one of Jonjo, Henderson or Allen have to go

assuming its not total bollocks as it is likely to be from talksport of course....

He'll be fine at WH.

Though I wouldn't have minded LFC trying to turn him in to a midfield beast.

He's got the build and the right attitude, and its clearly something we lack.

Good luck to him if he goes.

He gave Ginsoak the finger, cant be much wrong with him in my book.

I think at his age, it really is best he moves on. Hes no youngster and is struggling to make a mark here - I knew he would go and to be honest, West Ham would be a great move for him.

It might also help convince Carroll to go there too, though i'm not sure just how good mates him and Jonjo are so thats pure guesswork.

He's only 21, hardly an old fart is he?

I'd prefer him to go on loan, and see if he can progress, although from all accounts he has an extremely high opinion of himself and can be a bit of a tit.

It would be a shame if he wasted his obvious talent through a lack of self discipline and arrogance (if the stories are true).

He could do with taking a leaf out of Hendo's book, and knuckle down, listen and do more work to improve his game.

He has talent, he just doesn't seem to be applying it.

Jonjo Shelvey.

It all depends on Brendan to be honest. I wouldn't be upset if Brendan sold Shelvey. Jordan Henderson would get in the side ahead of him with Joe Allen a near second. Henderson is actually vasted under-rated by many. He's a more athletic than Shelvey, his passing is crisper.

Joe Allen when you want to squeeze games and be more intense is very useful. There is a lot more to come from him. I reckon he can improve easily by another 50%. We're going to have the ''Lucas scenario'' with him. He's going to get hell from the fans, but we'll soon realise his importance. Jordan Henderson was similar.

If someone puts in a decent offer say £7-£9 million for Shelvey, it should be taken.