You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Di Matteo sacked

King Emlyn

Staggered by this move, absolutely staggered. Rafa has got a history of getting pissed off with boardroom interference and that's all he'll get there, the fans there don't respect him due to the way he was dragged through the mud by maureen and their general disrespect for us. It's just baffling. One wonders what the chav message boards make of it, can't be arsed looking.

But it’s an interim appointment. Chelsea have spent heavily in the summer and won’t be spending big again in the winter window. Rafa can actually do what he is a good at, coaching and organising, there is no Boardroom battle to have.

Long term it will not work, but I don’t think that either side sees it like that. For Rafa it’s a chance to rehabilitate his reputation, for Chelsea its a chance to get a top coach to sort things out.

I expect Rafa to be on his best behaviour and do well in the second half of the season. Then Chelsea can bring in Guardiola and Rafa will have had the chance to remind everyone of his football, rather than arguing, credentials.

It is what it is now. I am sick of hearing his name to be honest and I hope now that he finds the closure he's been waiting for and moves on. A big number of our own fans need to as well, and some need to get a grip. Chelsea are rivals, I don't want them to win anything unless they are the lesser of two evils, and that takes some doing. I'll never forget Istanbul, I'll never forget Cardiff 2006, I'll never forget bursting with pride at the way we came so close to winning the league in 2008.

But that's the problem with Benitez, for every positive I can list I can list a negative, rather like his transfer record. I don't wish him well at Chelsea for obvious reasons because I hate everything about that plastic football club, whoever their manager is. I don't think it will work out, I think it will end badly but I have no interest or concern as to whether or not it does.

He's not been our manager for 3 years now. It's time to move on.

The tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth.

Well, for me, it's because he got "us"...

Therefore, as one of "us", I want him to do well, irrespective of where he is.

Make sense?

It doesn't make sense. By Rafa doing well, it means Chelsea also do well. I don't want Chelsea to do well, ever. The two are now inseparable.

Guest ShoePiss
Well, for me, it's because he got "us"...

Therefore, as one of "us", I want him to do well, irrespective of where he is.

Make sense?

Your logic is faulty, yes he understood us but could never be one of us. He hasn't supported the club since he was old enough to walk and talk. He's an ex-employee and I'm very appreciative of the work he did but he no longer works for us and hasn't for a while.

When he went to Inter I couldn't give a fuck how well he did, the impact of his job performance there was close to zero on us. Now at Chelsea he can directly impact our own performance so I won't be hoping he does well, if his team pips Utd to the title then fucking great but I won't be celebrating his success at all.

I think your priorities are completely fucked up.

Alright 08/09. 86 points. Point stands you said he cant buy players. He does'nt like flair players, revisionism at its finest.

Teams used to be scared of playing against us, we consistently punched above our weight at home and abroad.

Abroad maybe, but at home?

Benitez' league record was not all that different from Evans' (who was, in fact, more consistent) or Houlliers.

Between 3rd and 5th was the norm for us until 2010.

Europe is a different story, obviously

We had some good times under Rafa and I'll always love him for those. It all went wrong under him at the end and obviously opinion on here on how much that was his fault and whether he should have been sacked or not differs a lot on here and I won't add any more to the debate as it's been done to death. But one thing I always found disappointing after he was sacked was how poor his reputation amongst football fans in general in this country became. The media really went to town on him in his final season. I've never seen a manager receive so much criticism before or since. His time here seemed to be rewritten as one of complete failure and most people I know who support other clubs seem to view him as being somewhere between poor and average as a manager. Even Aston Villa fans didn't seem to think he was good enough to manage their pointless little club when his name was put in the frame a while back. I've always wanted him to get another job and do well to rebuild his reputation but it's impossible to wish him well at Chelsea as it's such a horrible club. I can't blame him for taking the job as he's been out of work for a long time but hopefully he's just using it as a chance to put himself in the shop window. If he manages to wind Ferguson up again while he's there than would be a nice bonus.

Your logic is faulty, yes he understood us but could never be one of us. He hasn't supported the club since he was old enough to walk and talk. He's an ex-employee and I'm very appreciative of the work he did but he no longer works for us and hasn't for a while.

When he went to Inter I couldn't give a fuck how well he did, the impact of his job performance there was close to zero on us. Now at Chelsea he can directly impact our own performance so I won't be hoping he does well, if his team pips Utd to the title then fucking great but I won't be celebrating his success at all.

For the "record" I am fully behind Brendan Rodgers, that's my where my priorities lay.

If anyone cannot separate a man from an entity..well..what can I say?

Rafa, gave what he could for Liverpool Football Club, and as such his reputation suffered for it.

And, anyway, since when did WE as Liverpool Supporters ever gave a fuck what other teams did/do?

I normally agree with you but this is ludicrous. You could say the same about Shankly, Paisley and Dalglish.

Maybe Roman isn't as mental as I first thought. Looking at their success since he's take over, you can't really argue with his policy of hiring and firing in an instant. Sure it won't lead to sustained, long-term success but while he has the money to keep sacking and hiring managers I don't think he's bothered about a long-term model.

I think he simply believes he knows when a manager will no longer be a success so fires him before he can do any more damage and has enough time to bring in someone who might be more successful. Sure it seems crazy to fire Di Matteo while they're 3rd in the league, and having won the European Cup and FA Cup last season, but in Roman's bizarre world RDM has taken them as far as he can so better to get rid before they lose another game.

A little surprise a man like Rafa who is stubborn and always fall out with club owners accepted the opportunity to manage Chelsea.

Positives : The job he wanted, managing a club who's challenging for trophies and will pretty sure keep Manure from the title, keep him away from us(coming back to Anfield)

Negatives: He will get the best out of Torres, Mata, Hazard, Oscar and Moses.

Good luck to him.

Tony Evans just made a decent point on twitter there (yeah, i know).

Imagine what Broughton thinks of this.

Abrahamovic and Buck are in the Moratti mode, they won't stand for any of the antics he has displayed before- and Rafa knows he will have to be on his best behaviour and stick to the football.

Initial joy at getting to laugh at Chelsea, quickly replaced by the old tedious horror of any discussion involving Rafa.

Personally I don't understand the view that it's some kind of slight towards us because he went to a shit club. It doesn't have anything to do with us. He's a football manager, they're a football club that need one. If nothing else, it's a way to get back in view, before Tio Perez lets Mourinho go.

I can't decide which would make me happier though, to see Chelsea do better than Utd, and watch Ferguson's head finally explode, or to see Chelsea lose every game and watch as their sub-human fans forego their usual evenings of Sieg Heil fisting, and take to the streets foaming about a Fat Spanish Waiter ruining their ancient traditions.

We had some good times under Rafa and I'll always love him for those. It all went wrong under him at the end and obviously opinion on here on how much that was his fault and whether he should have been sacked or not differs a lot on here and I won't add any more to the debate as it's been done to death. But one thing I always found disappointing after he was sacked was how poor his reputation amongst football fans in general in this country became. The media really went to town on him in his final season. I've never seen a manager receive so much criticism before or since. His time here seemed to be rewritten as one of complete failure and most people I know who support other clubs seem to view him as being somewhere between poor and average as a manager. Even Aston Villa fans didn't seem to think he was good enough to manage their pointless little club when his name was put in the frame a while back. I've always wanted him to get another job and do well to rebuild his reputation but it's impossible to wish him well at Chelsea as it's such a horrible club. I can't blame him for taking the job as he's been out of work for a long time but hopefully he's just using it as a chance to put himself in the shop window. If he manages to wind Ferguson up again while he's there than would be a nice bonus.

Absolutely spot on. His reputation is laughable. Just shows how shallow minded many football fans are.

Abrahamovic and Buck are in the Moratti mode, they won't stand for any of the antics he has displayed before- and Rafa knows he will have to be on his best behaviour and stick to the football.

Completely different situation, though. Chelsea already have a lot of great players and there will never be a battle about funds like the ones he had with the people at this club.

Guest ShoePiss
For the "record" I am fully behind Brendan Rodgers, that's my where my priorities lay.

If anyone cannot separate a man from an entity..well..what can I say?

Rafa, gave what he could for Liverpool Football Club, and as such his reputation suffered for it.

And, anyway, since when did WE as Liverpool Supporters ever gave a fuck what other teams did/do?

His reputation hasn't suffered with me, he was a victim of circumstance and should never have been fired but it's water under the bridge now.

Edit: when did we give a fuck what other teams do? As long as I've lived. Anyway I've made my point and it's pretty clear.

Edited by ShoePiss

Guest ShoePiss
I normally agree with you but this is ludicrous. You could say the same about Shankly, Paisley and Dalglish.

Not when you hold those three in a much higher regard which I do.

Completely different situation, though. Chelsea already have a lot of great players and there will never be a battle about funds like the ones he had with the people at this club.

Wrong. It was all about money with Rafa. Back him in the transfer market or sack him he told Moratti. Inter had lots of great world class players and just won the World Club Cup and he still wants more money to spend.

It will be the same all over again in Chelsea.

He'll do very well there, he's an excellent manager and they have an unbelievable squad. I fucking detest Chelsea with a passion so I hope he fails and its a disaster. I'm not one of these fans like you find in the Far East who support individuals over teams, I support LFC and that's it. Rafa is now Chelsea manager fuck him. For now.