You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Raheem Sterling and others

Rambo

been the problem of the last decade - we simply haven't been good enough to draft in 1 or 2 younsters here or there. Instant success is demanded and that means playing the highly paid stars etc. I thought the policy we were meant to be following is bringing the youngsters through and they need some game time to progress.

that said - i enjoyed the carling cup win - in seasons gone by we lost to northampton with a reserve team.....

Had we played our actual reserve or youth team we'd have beaten Northampton, that idiot played a rag doll team of players returning from injuries, a few promising youths and a couple of donkeys, Northampton had a settled team, a shit one but at least they knee there teammates names

Can anybody remember Gerrard at Reserve and u18 level,If so was he always head and shoulders above the rest?

It's hard especially with attacking talent to tell,with the likes of Suso sometimes I think he is a cert to make it and then other times I'm unsure.

Been able to watch all the younger ones on LFC TV it would be good to see one make it to have an idea of the level it takes.

Up to now I thought it was far too early to introduce Sterling to the First Team as I believed he was not physically ready. However, having looked at when other players of a similar build - Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright Phillips, Jermain Defoe, Nathan Dyer - started to get a run it struck me that they were all in or around Sterling's age.

They were, admittedly, playing at a lower level but most people would agree that the game is even more "robust" in the Championship. Commentators and pundits are constantly harping on about the "physical" side of the game being outlawed by overzealous referees so it should, if anything, be easier for small, skillful players to thrive.

I am not sure how much these type of players actually "fill out" with age and I certainly wouldn't mistake any of them for Arnie. The reality is that Sterling is already playing against adults at reserve level and seems to be coping admirably. Did any of the Everton first teamers kick him less hard last week because it was a reserve match? Sterling has blistering pace (which is something we lack at first team level) and great control and I suspect these oustanding attributes would allow him to hold his own in the First Team even now. He won't have the stamina for full games but no full back who has spent 70 minutes chasing Bellamy or Downing would relish the prospect of Sterling coming on to run them ragged and chase balls in behind. Given the fact he is already travelling and training with the first team, it is only a matter of time before he starts getting a run.

agree with that Cij - have the youngsters with the squad, have them on the bench, bring them on in a settled winning team - don't overload or overhype them or expect miracles and the new Owen/Gerrard/Fowler in their first game

i just think winning teams find it easier to bring youngsters through - look at barca last week they bring some kid on who scores 2 but so much easier to do when you are 7-1 up

Waiting for Raheem to 'develop' is an absolute waste of time.

His prime asset (his speed) will only deteriorate as he gets older. He will not get very much stronger as he ages. The only advantage to waiting is to wait until he develops a better "footballing brain".

But if given a run in the first team that will come. Walcott is still not the best WRT his "footballing brain" but has improved since arriving. Alex Chamberlain has slowly become further incisive and his performances are often clever. The thing to note is that despite both having extensive experience in lower leagues and the former having played a ton load more PL/CL football than the latter, Alex Chamberlain is the smarter player.

Raheem won't become exponentially smarter as a player if he has a loan spell at Blackburn or some other innocuous football team. He won't even become exponentially smarter if he plays in our first team for years. At his age the groundwork is already set and though he will improve in certain areas (and even a fair bit in some), waiting for him to do so is a waste.

I wouldn't expect sterling to come in and make an impact it would however show him he's on his way up and what's expected, it may also serve to show our current first teamers that were prepared to play a 17 year old instead of them. Downing offers fuck all on the left and Henderson fuck all on the right, we lose very little except maybe learn a thing or two about how players react. I don't think sterling would come in and be this breath of fresh air infact I think he'd be a little out of his depth but I wouldn't mind it from a young player just breaking through, but to see someone like downing whose played in top flight football for years show how spineless he is is sickening.

Can anybody remember Gerrard at Reserve and u18 level,If so was he always head and shoulders above the rest?

It's hard especially with attacking talent to tell,with the likes of Suso sometimes I think he is a cert to make it and then other times I'm unsure.

Been able to watch all the younger ones on LFC TV it would be good to see one make it to have an idea of the level it takes.

Apparently Gerrard just used to stand in the centre circle spraying balls left and right. As soon as I saw him it was clear he was world class, it took another 5 years before people accepted that though.

Apparently Gerrard just used to stand in the centre circle spraying balls left and right. As soon as I saw him it was clear he was world class, it took another 5 years before people accepted that though.

I wish we had footage. Nowadays all the youngsters are on film in more or less every match they play. I remember him coming on and straight away he was my favourite player.

You could just see how fucking good he was. His dynamism took me back.

This whole idea of gradually blooding them wont work. We need players in the positions now, so you might as well ge them in and let them develop. Otherwise, we will just buy first team players to occupy the positions for years to come. Plays like Shelvey, Suso Sterling, Henderson all need to be it in their long-term positions and allowed to develop there.

It will probably mean we'll underachieve, but we could do like the scum and defy the critics and win something with kids. Won't know until we try. Our first team transfers have been bollocks for years now so I ain't counting on us assembling a quality first team though buying.