You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Sounds like we offered around 30,000/35,000 ... and Spurs are offering 60,000/70,000

That i could understand, as that would be a 100% increase, but according to that article Spurs offered about 50% more, which at top whack can only be a little over £20k p/w more than us.

The maximum difference would be us offering about 47k and them offering the full £70k.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sounds like we offered around 30,000/35,000 ... and Spurs are offering 60,000/70,000

Based on those figures, over a five year contract he'd be turning down (pre-tax) around £8m to play for us over Spurs. It's easy to call him a cunt, but that's a lot of wedge.

Even if we're offering 40k and Spurs are offering 60k, which would be the 50% more being talked about, he'd have to turn down over 5m quid.

I fear wage demands are going to be a serious stumbling block for us when trying to attract players this Summer. We are saddled with a number of exceptionally high earners that are contributing little and John Henry has highlighted the lack of "value" provided by fringe members of the squad as a major issue for the club.

FSG cannot simply assume they will find takers for Aquilani (£80k+ p/w), Cole (£90k), and Maxi (£80k+ but has at least made a contribution) etc. and this is likely to impact on our financial plans for next season. Until such times as these players are moved on, I suspect FSG will be extremely reluctant to sanction large contracts for new players. I have read in the past that we are close to breaching the wages / turnover limits for FFP as things stand and I would be very surprised if this wasn't to the forefront of FSG's mind. We also have players such as Skrtel, Suso etc. that will be angling for new and improved contracts.

It is very disappointing that we find ourselves in this position but I can't see us attacting the calibre of player we need until we address the legacy of overpaid unflushable turds.

I fear wage demands are going to be a serious stumbling block for us when trying to attract players this Summer. We are saddled with a number of exceptionally high earners that are contributing little and John Henry has highlighted the lack of "value" provided by fringe members of the squad as a major issue for the club.

FSG cannot simply assume they will find takers for Aquilani (£80k+ p/w), Cole (£90k), and Maxi (£80k+ but has at least made a contribution) etc. and this is likely to impact on our financial plans for next season. Until such times as these players are moved on, I suspect FSG will be extremely reluctant to sanction large contracts for new players. I have read in the past that we are close to breaching the wages / turnover limits for FFP as things stand and I would be very surprised if this wasn't to the forefront of FSG's mind. We also have players such as Skrtel, Suso etc. that will be angling for new and improved contracts.

It is very disappointing that we find ourselves in this position but I can't see us attacting the calibre of player we need until we address the legacy of overpaid unflushable turds.

And yet wasn't Aquilani supposed to have asked us to release him so he could join Milan? And we apparently refused?

Mike C; I find it impossible to know what to believe with all the idle speculation tossed about in the media - a frighteningly high proportion of what is published is absolute bollox. Our massive global fan base generate a lot of clicks and advertising sales for media outlets so any "news" relating to us helps increase profits.

What I do know is that Aquilani's value is amoritized over the length of his contract so he will have an "asset value" of approximately £6.8m in our accounts. His wages do not count towards FFP as he was signed prior to June 2010. If we release him from his contract we immediately chrystalize the loss and we have to make it up elsewhere to comply with the rules. No easy task.

Well over a year ago Werner said high wages weren't a prob and should increase, did he not ? so what has changed?

It strikes me as a rather glib remark on Werner's part - of course everybody would like our wage bill to increase in line with increased turnover but that certainly does not mean that we have limitless funds to blow on wages. Every pound we spend on a player that is not contributing to the first XI is wasted money.

Both Werner in your quoted text and John Henry have acknowledged that there is a lack of depth / quality in our squad and our league position does not reflect our wage bill. This is what Henry said:

“Our biggest concern in taking on this responsibility was this issue and it was a bigger issue than we feared. There was a huge multi-year pay-roll for a squad that had very little depth.”

He wasn't referring to a lack of players when talking about "depth" but rather a lack of quality and value for money. We can't spend infinite amounts of money due to limited resources and FFP so our only option is to replace non-performing squad members with better players if we want to improve. Getting rid of the duffers is going to be the hard part.

Didn't know Arsenal signed Giroud yesterday for £12m.

If they keep van Persie then that's a pretty good forward line with Podolski. The 2 of them got 40 odd goals between them last year and they only spent £24m

People will be amazed at just how good Giroud is. He has it all as far as I can see. He's physical and brings all the qualities you'd expect for a centre forward in the premier league but at the same time while he's not shy to get stuck in he also is brimming with pure class. His touch is sublime, his decision making is excellent, he can be very unselfish and bring people into the play or score in a variety of ways and he has a knack of finding space. He's very confident as shown by his recent performances for France and how he didn't get in their first 11 is still beyond me.

Arsenal have once again picked up a potentially world class player for relative buttons.

If as reported they are looking to add Sakho, M'Vila and maybe even Belhanda I'd back them to win the league nevermind top four!

I don't know the details but if as suggested we're offering half as much as Spurs in wages then it's a no brainer for the lad. If this is a player we really wanted and we won't step up to even close to the wages other teams are prepared to pay then that's worrying. Again though I don't know and this is all purely speculation.

Perhaps Aquilani is coming back and Brendan wants to employ this kind of tactic:

Suarez - Carroll - Ramirez

Aquilani

Who knows?

It is same to assume he had agreed to join Swansea on considerably less than 70,000 a week (if that is the case), I very much doubt he would get more than 20,000 from Swansea, so nobody would have suggested 70,000 (Other than Peter Risdale obviously!), it seems that we did agree a wage, so he has been given another offer and asked us to stump up the extra cash. We have probably offered around 40,000 which seems about right.

I agree but if its a start if things to come we're fucked

Cole shouldnt be the blueprint as to why we shouldnt offer players big wages, if we got Modric for 110k a week he'd be fucking worth it wouldnt he?

Gylfi's had his head turned, everyone would if you have no alligence to either club, one offers x amount the other twice as much, you'd go to the money probably considering they finished 4th and we finished 8th!

It is same to assume he had agreed to join Swansea on considerably less than 70,000 a week (if that is the case), I very much doubt he would get more than 20,000 from Swansea, so nobody would have suggested 70,000 (Other than Peter Risdale obviously!), it seems that we did agree a wage, so he has been given another offer and asked us to stump up the extra cash. We have probably offered around 40,000 which seems about right.

£40k is an arbitrary figure in reality, Whelan. The real - and market - figure is what someone is willing to pay. If Spuds are offering £70k (say), that - as inflated as it may appear - is the going rate and, if we don't pay going rates, we can't expect to sign anyone.

This could be about the kid pissing us about but what fool would turn down an offer which is (reportedly) twice as good as the other one on the table?

I don't know the details but if as suggested we're offering half as much as Spurs in wages then it's a no brainer for the lad. If this is a player we really wanted and we won't step up to even close to the wages other teams are prepared to pay then that's worrying. Again though I don't know and this is all purely speculation.

Perhaps Aquilani is coming back and Brendan wants to employ this kind of tactic:

Suarez - Carroll - Ramirez

Aquilani

Who knows?

I know. He doesn't.

£40k is an arbitrary figure in reality, Whelan. The real - and market - figure is what someone is willing to pay. If Spuds are offering £70k (say), that - as inflated as it may appear - is the going rate and, if we don't pay going rates, we can't expect to sign anyone.

This could be about the kid pissing us about but what fool would turn down an offer which is (reportedly) twice as good as the other one on the table?

Hmmm, I sort of agree with what you are saying, but you have to have a sense of worth and value, he isn't worth 70,000 as he is untested at this leve, Spurs who it woudl seem are in the process of losing Modric may see extra value in getting fans of their backs. I just don't see how a player can justify tripling (his contract at Hoffenheim was less than 1m euros).

As you say Spurs are willing to pay it, but equally we are well within our rights to walk away, and it has nothing to do with our inability to compete.

The going rate was +/-5k of what we offered - if someone came along and offered twice that much it doesn't make that amount the "going rate".

Examples:

For wages - see Joe cole/Poulson and Konchelski.

For Transfer fee - See Andy Carroll/Stuart Downing.

I think it's all rather moot, because I prefer to ask where we were when he was impressive at Reading and didn't act then before Hoffenheim snapped him up.

This is the problem, identifying targets quicker than clubs like Reading, or in the case of Porto who got James Rodriguez for fuck all. Again, where are our scouts? Why aren't we proactively investing in excellent young talent at reasonable prices?

Fuck Gylfi and his wages, I'd rather pay 7 brilliant scouts £10,000 a week than give £70,000 a week to someone like him.

I'm sick to death of it. I'd love to punch our scouts in the face, the fucking useless twats.

Hmmm, I sort of agree with what you are saying, but you have to have a sense of worth and value, he isn't worth 70,000 as he is untested at this leve, Spurs who it woudl seem are in the process of losing Modric may see extra value in getting fans of their backs. I just don't see how a player can justify tripling (his contract at Hoffenheim was less than 1m euros).

As you say Spurs are willing to pay it, but equally we are well within our rights to walk away, and it has nothing to do with our inability to compete.

As with transfer fees, I think pay what wages it takes. If the player is right, the wage will become increasingly insignificant.

It's only when the player is wrong does the transfer fee or the wage become an issue. For me, this is now about backing a new manager. You shackle him and you'll never get the best out of him.

But, yeah, that is a separate issue to what a player is actually worth. But the market decides that and the club is at the market's whims.

I wouldn't get too hot under the collar about FFP. CAS have already struck it a blow with their decision on clubs owing transfer money.

I think the other clubs will be demanding action on that though, there are a lot of powerful clubs who want FFP. It may need to be resubmitted but I think it will eventually come in.