You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best and worst player performances of the past 10 years?

Kevin D

Best - too many of gerrards to list to be honest the guy is a living legend. Would also say though sissoko was absolute BOSS when we played barcelona at the nou camp. He ran that midfield big time. Also alonso's performance away to chelsea i thought he was immense and chelsea were never going to win that game.

Worst - Insua away to reading in the cup. He was absolute shit and got done over time and time again. I just sat their in the crowd thinking "this guy really is shit".

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still struggling to pick the best but it's gona be Gerrard anyway, he's carried us for so many games it has to be him.

John Barnes also put in breathtaking performances in late 80's, but I remember the semi final against Forest in 88 he was outstanding as he basically played as a LB for most the game as Ablett was getting a proper going over by Forest winger I think it was Gary Crosby, amazing performance.

But given the occasion its gotta be Gerrard in Istanbul as the best I've seen.

I've also got to mention Carragher at Anfield in the 2nd leg semi v Chavs - WHAT a display of central defensive positioning, dominatiung the penalty box, guts and balls.

What made that so great as well is had he put a foot wrong in 96 minutes then a booking would have ruled him out of the final.

Daniele Padelli in goal against Charlton at Anfield in the last league game of 2006/07. We take the piss out of De Gea, but Padelli was actually worse. Rabbit in the headlights, shitting himself whenever the ball was in our half (which was quite a lot in that game). He might not have been helped by the makeshift team in front of him, or by the appalling weather, but he really looked like he'd won a place in the team via a raffle draw. I have no idea where he is now.

Sebastian Leto against Marseille in the Champions League at Anfield was another who had a dreadful game. In fairness, he was drafted into a team that struggled to retain possession or create chances, but he seemed to lose the ball every time he got it, to the point where we started channelling all our play towards the right instead. That game shot his confidence to bits, and though he looked quite good in the reserves, he left soon after and is playing in Greece now.

When we got beat 1 - 0 away to Wigan in 2010 Gerrard played centre midfield and by his own high standards he was atrocious, misplaced pass after pass, spent the entire game waving his arms about moaning and sulking then finished with a bad tackle on Mcarthy. Maybe i'm being unfair to him but it sticks out in my mind because its so rare but his performance and attitude was so poor.

Torres is one player who went from sublime to piss poor while with us, he tore Vidic a new one at Old Trafford but spent his last season sulking and so disinterested that I actually cheered when Ngog replaced him.

Some of the best I can remember

John Barnes v QPR in 1987 (i think) when he scored 2 goals

Jan Molby in the 2nd half against Everton in the 1987 cup final and against Auxerre at Anfield in 1992

Ian Rush with his four goals v Everton at Goodison

worst Diouf - against Celtic - his spitting made me embarrassed to be a fan

most inept Cisse v ManU - positioning absolutely awful and missed open goal - and thought it was all a laugh

best Gerrard Istanbul

most moving Titi C when he scored against WHU after his Dad died

Worst, Bjorn Tore Kvarme, at home to Man Utd in december of 97.

Made a fucking howler of an error which even made Roy Evans publicly critisise him. He was also utter shite against Everton a month or so earlier when he made Danny fucking Cadamarteri look like a world beater. He is the worst player i've seen play for Liverpool. Started off somewhat decent, but was absolutely dreadfully shite.

Best, probably Gerrard in the FA Cup final against West Ham in 06. That was beyond incredible.

Difficult to say in such a long timespan.

For best performance, I have to agree with others and say Alonso in the derby.

Unfortunately I remember more bad performances than good ones, we had our fair share of those, so it's hard to say which was the worst.

Narrowing it down to the last couple of years, I have to say Kyrgiakos against West Brom last season was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a defender and one of the worst individual performances I've seen in general. He was at direct and exclusive fault for both of the goals we conceded and was generally torn a new arsehole by Odemwingie, I've never seen a striker dominate a CB like that before and I doubt I will again.

Difficult to say in such a long timespan.

For best performance, I have to agree with others and say Alonso in the derby.

Unfortunately I remember more bad performances than good ones, we had our fair share of those, so it's hard to say which was the worst.

Narrowing it down to the last couple of years, I have to say Kyrgiakos against West Brom last season was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a defender and one of the worst individual performances I've seen in general. He was at direct and exclusive fault for both of the goals we conceded and was generally torn a new arsehole by Odemwingie, I've never seen a striker dominate a CB like that before and I doubt I will again.

Against WBA 1 wasn't a penalty and Reina gave the other away, "exclusive fault" really? That performance poor as it was didn't come close to some of the tripe we've seen over the last decade.

In reply to your last sentence, watch any one of Boltons last 5 games you'll see worst from Gary Cahill, he's been shocking this season

As much of a cunt Torres is, there have been far worse performances by LFC players.

The worst for me was Dossena against Hull when he got torn apart by Mendy.

When choosing a best performance, its easy to pick Gerrard or Carra in Istanbul, but I'll go for Momo against Chelsea in the Charity Shield. He bossed that game.

Yep. Never seen anyone getting that easily done time and time again, what made it so shocking was the quality of the opposition (basically a Championship player)

Best? Xabi against Spurs and/or Norwich in his first season, two displays of immaculate passing and controlling the pace of the game.

Worst performance for me is Diao at Fulham away in 2004/05.

He started ahead of Alonso, gave them their first 2 goals and was utterly dog shite as we went in at h/t 2-0 down.

Alonso came on in the 2nd and bossed it in a 4-2 win but Diao really did stink the place out that day & his performance has stuck with me ever since.

I think Igor pushed Alonso close in that game for the best performance I've ever seen, injury time sub and a screamer of a goal. What more could you ask for!

2-0 down 4-2 up, Igor Biscan wrapped it up!

I know it's longer than 10 years, but I'm easily confused.

Mark Wright's comeback against the mancs was incredible. For a man who had been castigated in public, and humiliated in being stripped of the captaincy and told he wouldn't be considered for the first team again, to come back in our hour of need the way he did was the mark of a real professional.

I had also been at the friendly against Bolton all those months earlier which had prompted Roy to react the way he did. He did stink, but only as much as every other player who wore the shirt that day. (I think he laughed in the changing room afterwards if I remember right, so Roy did well.)

Stinkers? No Liverpool player has ever had one. I love them all....

But some of the above shouts are about right.

Thinking about it, there's been many stinkers, but they've usually involved the full team. For a player to look out of their depth even in a full team poor performance must be particularly galling. But that was what Bruno Cheyrou always manged to do.

A player particularly prone to the shocker, though would be David James. Indeed he could have his own Top 10 Classic Shockers. However, the capitulation against the mancs in 97 was a particularly strong contender and will live long in the memory.

I think he gave an interview to the Echo that following summer in which he said he'd sat down with the goalkeeping coach and looked at some videos of the past season. After a thorough review, they'd managed to identify that he should work on his ability to deal with crosses.

Never has the phrase "no shit, Sherlock" been more apt.

Two recent examples:

One of the worst I have seen was the cameo from Jovanovic when he came off the bench in one of our games last season.

It was Wigan at home and whatever he was trying to do the result had nothing to do with football, never seen anything like it really.

Best is just impossible to say but I think it must be a Fowler performance, maybe when we beat Villa 3-0 at home and were 3-0 up already after 8 minutes, that was something special, but he probably had far better games than that one.

Just seen it was the last 10 years but fuck it, I go with Fowler anyway.

If thats not allowed, Alonso from 2004-2009.

Two fairly low key matches for me.

Worst was Padelli in a match, can't remember who against, at the end of the season a few years ago. I'm a terrible keeper as my first reaction is to use my feet rather than my hands. Padelli was the first pro keeper I've ever seen to play along the same lines.

Dishonourable mention to Insua vs Wigan (more specifically Nzogbia) the other year. He had me thinking Nzogbia was a half decent option for Liverpool for a while.

Best was Gerrad away at Birmingham in 2004. He terrorised Birmingham all night. Popping up on the left, right, through the centre and going past people at will. Also remember he got brought down when clean through and, watching it, we all thought it was Owen who got fouled at first as he was moving so quick. He was just a one man attack that game.

Honourable leftfield mention to Marcus Babbel in the Gary Mac derby. Everything from the effort he put in to his celebrations at the end. I love overseas players truly and genuinely 'getting' what it means to win games like that.

There's far too many from Gerrard in particular to list.

From a player I hated, Crouch's hat-trick against Arsenal was a simply brilliant striking display.

But I'd probably go for Didi Hamann at Anfield in a European tie vs Barca (or was it Roma?!). It was Didi vs 11 at times, I was in the Anny Road and every single attack foundered on Hamann.

Magnificent, hairs on the back of your neck stuff.

Best beyond the obvious ones suggested by some was Sami v Barcelona in the UEFA Cup Semi in 2001 in the Anfield leg when Gary Mc scored the pen. He was absolutely imperious and was easily the best centre-half performance I had seen until that point. Interceptions, blocks, passing the ball out from the back. Complete performance.

The worst that nobody has mentioned so far was Sean Dundee v Leicester in 1999. Man United were performing a comeback in Turin and the atmosphere in the ground was flat because of our own ineptness that season. We didn't have a striker to our name as Reidle and Owen were crocked. Fowler was suspended because of his line snorting antics in the derby and I think the disinterested at that point McManaman started over Dundee up front things were really that bad.

Lo and behold with the game finely balanced at 0-0 (in other words two shite teams playing out a meaningless end of season game) we brough ''Crocodile'' on for the last 20-25 minutes I think. He had been on a few minutes when a ball was played down the channel for him to chase so off he went lumbering down the Main Stand side of the pitch as we were attacking the Anfield Road end in the 2nd half. The so-called ''Faster than Owen'' was caught up with embarrasing ease by Frank bloody Sinclair who promptly went past him and won possession for Leicester despite Dundee having about a ten yard start on him. The guffaws of laughter at the ineptness of Dundee could be heard as far away as London probably.

To compound our misery that night as our biggest rivals went on to have the best season in their history, Ian bloody Marshall who's mullet was worse than his, ahem, talent and who Sean Dundee made look like Drogba scored the winner at the Kop end in the 93rd minute after and awful mix-up at the back.

Needless to say, the side was booed off at the end. Not a good night.

I am still scarred by Dundee even now 12 years later. Almost had to go to counselling because of him he was that bad. I feel better having got it off my chest on here, thanks everyone.

Edited by Juan Galonso