You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Guest ShoePiss
Hodgson took a 3million pound a year job, with full disclosure of what the job entailed. He is a reasonably intelligent man after all.

The off-field issues didn't lead him to insult the fans, openly criticize the young players after northampton, buy Konchesky, Paulsen, misuse Torres and Gerrard, play mind numbingly dull football and speak complete and utter bollocks on a weekly basis.

None of that was a result of H&G.

Good post, I don't understand how the above can be forgotten or overlooked by some people.

Complete bollocks.

If anybody else had performed as Kenny has in the last year, they would be getting hounded.

This 'fiercely supportive' fanbase is quite hypocritical, a lot of the time.

If Woy had been playing some of the football that we've played this season and not blamed the fans for his shitness and not bowed down to Slur when he basically called Torres a cheat he would have got the support from day 1.. He did none of those things hence why he didn't get our support.

Purslow was a man of contrasts.

That Purslow, a “bag man” ,and Morgan a fund raiser should get on is no surprise, and neither here nor there.

He was a complex individual, on the one hand he was a fan who lived the dream of running a football club, but I agree with your criticism of several aspects of professional laxness, and poor judgement.

The people who would take the job , and were serious contenders, when Rafa left, were pretty limited, Roy and Kenny really. Deschampes falls out with his own shadow, Pellegrini was swallowed whole by the Madrid machine and was even more vulnerable than Hodgson to the political poison and media maelstrom which pervaded at the time.

I offer no particular defence for Purslow other than that he too was a pawn in a much bigger picture.

Purslow was a clueless little twat,who sacked Benitez and appointed the worst Manager (Hodgson) the club have employed in modern times,

I said at the time that Hodgson would be the first Manager since Shankly was appointed not to win the club a trophy,how right I was,

You could write what Purslow knew about the game on the nail of my little finger

I'm doing an interview with Purslow shortly. The problem with people like you is that you are clueless to what went on inside the club during them times. You have no idea about how things went on. All Purslow is hated for is that Rafa was sacked.

But Purslow took the full blame for that when the whole board, yes the whole board agreed to a man Rafa had to go. Why did Ayre not take the shit? I'll tell you why, because he is very friendly with the top brass at SOS and they made sure Ayre took no flack and threw it on Purslow.

Yet Ayre was the one who phoned Hicks and told him those protesting were 'a little noise not to worry about'.

Like I say you have no idea about what went on at that time.

Al, I was Secretary at the time of SOS and that allegation is utter rubbish.

You and I (with others) met the day FSG landed and you shook our hands, as we did yours, recognising the different roles played by different people in binning Hicks and Gillete and the fact that we'd got what we wanted and had all worked towards.

You didn't say anything then, or since, as far as I am aware to anyone's face to suggest that the Union were in Ayre's pocket and there was a conspiracy to pin everything on Purslow about Benitez.

I've said it before until I'm blue in the face, I've never been at one meeting or had or heard one conversation relating to the Union Committee where Benitez was given the chance to use the Union for his own purposes.

I've been involved in many conversations and a few meetings with Purslow though where his (Purslow's) abilities were clearly in question.

Good luck with your 'interview', expect a whitewash - ask him why he called a respected supporters' organisation 'Sons of Strikers', ask him about a dinner at Liverpool Ramblers where he showed strangers texts from senior players dissing Benitez and ask him why he tried to re-draft minutes of a meeting he attended after he realised he was dealing with people who weren't the scum of the earth he thought they were.

Or better still ask me to come.

I forgot about that whole SOS meeting minutes thing. Another reason why Purslow is a fucking cunt.

Was it the Marseille game that he gave that interview in the tunnel? That was the night I thought..... "what the fuck, this guy loves himself a bit doesn't he....."

I forgot about that whole SOS meeting minutes thing. Another reason why Purslow is a fucking cunt.

Leave this to one side in the nonsense of he said, we said.

Hopefully Al will ask him a straightforward question about whether he ever showed people at a dinner table at a Liverpool Ramblers dinner texts from players dissing Benitez.

I dare him to deny it. Or maybe that was considered acceptable?

Guest ShoePiss
Leave this to one side in the nonsense of he said, we said.

Hopefully Al will ask him a straightforward question about whether he ever showed people at a dinner table at a Liverpool Ramblers dinner texts from players dissing Benitez.

I dare him to deny it. Or maybe that was considered acceptable?

Not being 'in the know' this is the first I've heard, it's a disgusting way to behave as Managing Director of our club.

It was a very strange episode.

Purslow seemingly approached it in a casual, nonchalant manner. He knew that what was said at that meeting would filter out both officially, and unofficially, but failed to bring along an LFC official to take minutes. A basic piece of good practise which he eschewed, why? Arrogance? Possibly. Carelessness, probably.

What SOS allege he said amounted to gross professional misconduct in its disloyalty to G&H. He clearly denied everything to G&H. I believe the SOS minutes. But that also implies an acceptance of a man who was scornful of, and working to undermine, G&H. He was also Broughton’s hod carrier in the despatch of G&H, and was trusted by Broughton as such. Those aspects are seldom recognised.

The Liverpool Ramblers story I also believe. I have friends who also bore witness to Purslow’s indiscretions regarding player unrest. Yet it also reflected a level of player unhappiness with Benitez that many Reds did not believe. It also encouraged Purslow, who had cause to feel aggrieved with Benitez’ behaviour (he had willingly accepted G&H’s pieces of silver that summer previous)to feel that Benitez had become a liability.

Looking back, it was a horrible time with pretty much everyone looking out for themselves – and no-one looking out for the club.

I have a few ideas as to who it could have been.

Al can ask him this straight question:

Chrissy, when you sat on the top table at the Liverpool Ramblers annual dinner did you show anyone at that table texts from current LFC players at the time that we're critical of Rafa Benitez?

And then, if Al gets an honest answer, which I doubt, he can ask, 'Who were the texts from?'

Or we could just hear a load of self serving tosh about how he saved the Club and knew what the Bad Yanks were like from the go.

A couple of supplementaries Al - ' How did someone brought in only to find finance(his exact words) get to pick and choose managers and produce a list of players to sell without any announcement to the Club or it's supporters of his change in role?'

Al can ask him this straight question:

Chrissy, when you sat on the top table at the Liverpool Ramblers annual dinner did you show anyone at that table texts from current LFC players at the time that we're critical of Rafa Benitez?

And then, if Al gets an honest answer, which I doubt, he can ask, 'Who were the texts from?'

Or we could just hear a load of self serving tosh about how he saved the Club and knew what the Bad Yanks were like from the go.

A couple of supplementaries Al - ' How did someone brought in only to find finance(his exact words) get to pick and choose managers and produce a list of players to sell without any announcement to the Club or it's supporters of his change in role?'

All that seems pretty well trodden ground, Graham.

Henry Winter’s consistently accurate pitches on what was going on were well sourced, unsurprisingly given his position of biographer to Gerrard and Kenny. Anyone who knows anyone connected to Carra ( and there can’t be that many in Liverpool who don't) will be aware of his (and others rightful) dissatisfaction with the internecine warfare being waged within the boardroom.

That Benny, Torres, Reina and Masch were unsettled has come from their own lips subsequently.

Purslow’s ascent to pre-eminence came as a direct result of G&H (literally) withdrawing into their shell as the situation worsened – somebody had to do the job.

There is little new likely to come from those questions.

The question I would like answered is how Rafa came to sign a new contract, fully aware of the deteriorating position and the working practises of G&H&P, yet that relationship collapsed within months after, why?

I'm doing an interview with Purslow shortly. The problem with people like you is that you are clueless to what went on inside the club during them times. You have no idea about how things went on. All Purslow is hated for is that Rafa was sacked.

But Purslow took the full blame for that when the whole board, yes the whole board agreed to a man Rafa had to go. Why did Ayre not take the shit? I'll tell you why, because he is very friendly with the top brass at SOS and they made sure Ayre took no flack and threw it on Purslow.

Yet Ayre was the one who phoned Hicks and told him those protesting were 'a little noise not to worry about'.

Like I say you have no idea about what went on at that time.

Bollocks.

I still remember the post Dave had to delete off of here where it was agreed in private that a fair bit of what I said was true. A LFC official later emailed me accusing me of slander, which I found quite funny.

You're the one talking bollocks

Performed as Kenny? You mean won our first trophy in years and years, yeah?

Fuck off, Manc.

If Woy had been playing some of the football that we've played this season and not blamed the fans for his shitness and not bowed down to Slur when he basically called Torres a cheat he would have got the support from day 1.. He did none of those things hence why he didn't get our support.

Are you all half asleep?

I'm obviously saying that "hounding out" Kenny is wrong. Im against sacking any manager after one bad year (cough cough, Rafa Benitez). I fully support the man and hope he brings us the title.

But if it wasn't Kenny (and say, some unknown foreigner), many more fans would be a lot more vocal about their disappointment. Surely you can see that? Maybe it isnt hypocrisy though, maybe Kenny has earned that trust.

And yes, Kenny has won a trophy. But you'd have to be pretty deluded to think he hadnt made a fair few mistakes since his appointment. Particularly in the transfer market and the Suarez affair.

WRT Hodgson. I agree with your sentiments Navbasi. I don't think Hodgson was sacked because of results (they were dire, yes, but bar the Carling Cup, no worse than Kenny has done). He was sacked because of the unrest he caused with his behaviour, which wasn't befitting of a Liverpool manager. I don't know why you think I have a different viewpoint - if you see my posts, I absolutely despise the man.