You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting reading...

http://strongerunions.org/2014/05/04/an-inconvenient-truth-the-public-on-unions-strikes-and-big-business/

I share the frustration and anger felt by all trade unionists about the way industrial action is often reported by sections of the media (ok, the BBC, ITV, Sky and most newspapers).

Rather than explaining what the strike is about and exploring why the workers taking action have felt compelled to do something that results in them losing pay, all too often reports focus on how the actions of the union – never the intransigent employer – are inconveniencing the public and threatening the economy.

During the February tube strike I watched one report in which the BBC’s Nick Robinson (yes, I know) searched desperately for a commuter who was prepared to say that workers who provide essential services should be banned from going on strike. He found no one.

During the industrial action taken by teachers in March, ITV’s Daybreak programme ran a poll asking its viewers if they thought teachers should be allowed to strike. Much to their credit, 70% of Daybreak viewers thought they should be.

The pattern that emerges is that when asked, the public don’t quite share the often hysterical anti union, anti strike opinions adopted by newspapers and some TV channels, and a similar message has come out of a recently published Populus poll for the BBC’s Daily Politics and World at One programmes.

When asked if going on strike was legitimate ‘if in a ballot of union members the majority of those voting called for it’, 60% of respondents agreed it was.  Whilst there was a mixed reaction to specific strikes, with the public more sympathetic to industrial action by firefighters than that taken by teachers or workers on the tube, considering respondents were asked to base their responses on ‘everything they’d heard and read’ this might not be considered too much of a surprise.

Finally the poll had a sting in the tail for the pro-business, anti union brigade with the finding that the public consider that they have more to fear these days from the conduct of big business than unions.

Whilst I’ve personally given up on the prospect of unions ever getting a fair hearing in the media – it’s just not in the wider political and economic interests of most proprietors to do so – the findings of this latest poll should give unions some confidence that at least as far as the public is concerned, unions and the right of our members to strike are regarded as an important part of living in a democratic society and are certainly less of a problem than what results from the actions of big business.

http://www.slideshare.net/populuspolls/attitudes-to-strike-action

• Upvote 1

As I've said a lot, the media is the real enemy in this country, talk about life through a lens. From 'our boys' taking on 'Islamist Insurgents', to the Rio police sweeping through 'drug dealer infested slums to clear the way for this summer's festival of football', to Red Ed and his union paymasters or Gordon Brown maxing out the credit card, it's all bollocks.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

Aren't you self employed? I don't blame you for striking then, your employer is a right cunt.

Technically. I still bill the fuckers I'm working for. My working day so far.

1) Got up.

2) Had toast and tea.

3) Downloaded Suits.

4) Watched Suits whilst eating toast and drinking tea.

5) Ordered some stuff from Amazon (Astra blades, deodorant, a wallet, and some Vaseline lip therapy).

6) Wondered if I was gay for buying lip therapy. Decided that it depended on whether I used it as a lubricant for inserting things into my rectum.

7) Briefly looked for things suitable to insert into rectum. Couldn't find anything.

8) Came on here.

9) Looked out of the window to see if I could see the postman who is bringing my ultra manly razor.

10) Google to see a picture of said item and judge its suitably for rectal insertion. Not suitable.

11) Typed this out.

12) Looked at the clock. Wahoo, it's nearly lunch time.

13) Edited this post to make sure all the lines had fullstops.

• Upvote 4

I'm really suspicious if work. I have a job on a good salary but lately have been questioning the validity of me actually working. I get to the train station of a morning and see the blank stares on people's faces as we clamber onto our steel chauffeur and we are transporte to our workplaces. The train station is at the bottom of a hill and pretty much everyone who gets off the train is going to the same office as that's pretty much all there is in this town. Walking up that hill of a morning is the most depressing thing in the world. I don't particularly hate my job. It's challenging, I have I use my brain a lot and talk to people all day. It's just thy something doesn't sit right with me about 'having to work'. I mean what the big obsession in this country with work and havin a job? It's madness. Let's all just fuck work off and see what happens.

I'm really suspicious if work. I have a job on a good salary but lately have been questioning the validity of me actually working. I get to the train station of a morning and see the blank stares on people's faces as we clamber onto our steel chauffeur and we are transporte to our workplaces. The train station is at the bottom of a hill and pretty much everyone who gets off the train is going to the same office as that's pretty much all there is in this town. Walking up that hill of a morning is the most depressing thing in the world. I don't particularly hate my job. It's challenging, I have I use my brain a lot and talk to people all day. It's just thy something doesn't sit right with me about 'having to work'. I mean what the big obsession in this country with work and havin a job? It's madness. Let's all just fuck work off and see what happens.

Was on the train last night back from London.  After midnight.  Standing up because it's full.  Two blokes who don't work together, but have obviously been on some jolly, start talking.  Turns out they're both in IT, one designer, one developer.  Suits, but no ties.  

"It's terrible how the business just doesn't understand IT"

"yeah, they ask you to change something, and they think you can do it straight away.  they don't understand how long these things take"

"Are you doing agile, we're doing agile"

"Well we're doing a sort of agile"

"yeah, well I'm working on two or three projects, and the business just keep asking for more"

"yeah, we're agile, but we're not very good at managing code"

and on and on and fucking on.  I forget how fucking tedious IT is, and how fucking boring most of the cunts in it are.  I may have been a little pissed, but I just wanted to help them see the knight somehow.