You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You are joking I hope,one of SGs greatest blessings is his burst of speed.Jamie Rednapp actually calls it frightening the turn of pace SG has.

Jonjo is more in the Alonso mode if anything.As the one thing he dosent have is pace.

I would be more bothered to know what you call it

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's slowly improving but needs games. I have seen him in the reserves and his range of passing is good and he doesn't lack confidence, might need to go on loan if he doesn't get enough game time next season

I think he is very confident, that free kick against the Mancs proved it.

You are joking I hope,one of SGs greatest blessings was his burst of speed.Jamie Rednapp actually calls it frightening the turn of pace SG had.

Jonjo is more in the Alonso mode if anything.As the one thing he dosent have is pace.

Fixed.

Think Shelvey looks like he could thrive as an attacking midfielder. He's got a good touch and never hides (which is actually a bit of a problem with Stevie when he plays there - he only wants the ball ahead of him) - always wanting the ball played to him regardless of pressure.

Btw, I'm not writing Gerrard off, I just think we should consider utilising him differently as his career seems to be on the wane.

I think he will be a good player and nothing more. I get the impression that he thinks he is better than he is at times. Remember the ridiculous free-kick at Old Trafford in the FA Cup game? Le Tallec was also cut from the same cloth.

I slightly agree with you but I also believe Dalglish is getting a grip on Shelvey and man-managing him back down to earth which is the best thing for Shelvey. The talent is there, along with the ego, and under the right master the boy could progress into a top footballer.

He's improving all the time but he's still got a bit of the Gerrard's from when he was really young as well. The over-eagerness. Which is to be expected. For example lastnight he tried to play a cross field boy when he could have simply played Maxi in with a ten-yard pass.

He was excellent for the reserves against United last week. I'm not sure would I rather he went on loan for a season to improve his development or keep on doing what he is doing, which is training with the first team and getting as many sub appearances as possible. Considering we'll spend a few bob in the summer the loan for the year might be the best option.

Still only 19!

Impossible to say how good he'll be, but I like the way we're using him. I love the way Kenny has come in and backed Spearing and Shelvey. He had a quick look at Poulsen and decided he wasn't up to it. Shelvey hasn't started that many games, but the way Kenny has kept him involved will be good for his development.

Gerrard's career on the wane? There is still another world class season in him, in my opinion. Then about three or four solid seasons after that. Gerrard is still our best player. Not our most important, but our best player.

People seem to forget how good he is. This long rest will do him the world of good.

He's still very raw but he also frequently shows glimpses of Gerrard in his game. If the coaches keep at him, he will continue to improve. The young players no doubt have talent and ability, but they are getting a look in because they are demonstrating hunger, enthusiasm and will to win to the rest of the squad and it's rubbing off on some of the other players that have struggled previously, such as Johnson, Skrtel and Maxi. Everybody has an extra spring in their step and it's great to see. Long may it continue.

Isn't it nice to argue about how good our young players are rather than just "sell him he's shit".

Jonjo is being compared to 2 totally different types of player which is a great compliment to the lad, but let's not overhype him just yet, alot of potential let's just sit back and watch him develop.

the future is bright, the future is Kenny!

I'm not sure why we're comparing him to Gerrard. It isn't really helpful for the following reasons:

1) Gerrard's our best player, and one of the greatest ever players in our history. It's not realistic to think Shelvey will be anywhere near as good, and heaps undue pressure on his shoulders

2) He's not really anything like Gerrard; he has no pace, and it is unlikely he could play in as many positions as Gerrard did/ could/ has or will.

Shelvey is a promising young central midfielder. How good he will be isn't clear, but the new Gerrard? Nah.

His passing has looked very good every time he has played recently. Even when he has come on at left back he has played some very nice passes. I think that is the strongest part of his game. There is undoubtedly a player in there.

he dosnt do it for me theres better out there

Yeah, probably Wilshere. How many 19 year olds have you seen play such a great defence splitting pass as Jonjo played to Suarez last night?

There is both alot of talent and alot of nurturing required to bring that talent to its peak. Could become a deep lying playmaker somewhat in the Xabi mode.

Guest TK-421

There is both alot of talent and alot of nurturing required to bring that talent to its peak. Could become a deep lying playmaker somewhat in the Xabi mode.

Yeah, he's definitely got the long passing game in his repertoire.

So much more to come from him.

I think part of that is a lack of confidence around his positioning. As he grows in confidence he be pushing harder to be where he needs to be.

Same as Carroll in my opinion. Once they get in on a few more games and can play with more self assurance we'll see the best of these lads.

At 19, Gerrard was one of the best players in the first team squad, that's how good he was. Comparing 99% of 19 year old pros with Gerrard is not going to do them any favors.

Shelvey has promise. His size and movement do make him look a bit clumsy and not exactly built for speed, but it's hard to make a judgment on that based on just a few games.