You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I can't be doing with crowded theatres, so I'm hanging off a couple of weeks before going, but I'm still really looking forward to it. I did think the first one suffered a little bit on pacing with some unnecessary padding to fill it out, but otherwise enjoyed it a lot. There's more than enough story slated for this one that I'm not worried about filler, and am expecting a boss film.

If you can go next week during the day do as the schools break up soon and the cinemas will be infested by the lynx wearing spotty unwashed.

Saw it this afternoon.  Thought it was pretty good.

As ever with Jackson the world building and visuals are amazing.

Far far far too much stuff that wasn't in the book for my liking and hence it dragged it out for a 3rd film rather than finishing it in this installment which could have totally easily been done and would have made a tighter and better film.

I reckon I might almost have preferred the first one.

Smaug was awesome though.

Saw it this afternoon.  Thought it was pretty good.

As ever with Jackson the world building and visuals are amazing.

Far far far too much stuff that wasn't in the book for my liking and hence it dragged it out for a 3rd film rather than finishing it in this installment which could have totally easily been done and would have made a tighter and better film.

I reckon I might almost have preferred the first one.

Smaug was awesome though.

The one thing a few of us said how the hell can they get three films out of the book and that seems to be the case. One film at 3 and a half hours based only the book he should of made it. Sounds more than a slight padding out of artistic licensing out and more of a story by Jackson based loosely on the hobbit.

The one thing a few of us said how the hell can they get three films out of the book and that seems to be the case. One film at 3 and a half hours based only the book he should of made it. Sounds more than a slight padding out of artistic licensing out and more of a story by Jackson based loosely on the hobbit.

Well Jackson obviously made a decision to make the Hobbit films more of a Lord of the Rings prequel, hence having lots of stuff around the Necromancer and the gathering of power in Dol Guldur, etc.  I really don't mind that too much (even though it does drag the films out).  I also didn't mind that Legolas was involved.

Not sure how to do Spoiler tags or I would explain the main thing that annoyed me with this one.

Had the day off today so went to see it this afto. Top fucking class as expected. A LOT of content in this part and really well done. No doubt there'll be people whinging about Legolas and some other bits but the sooner people get their heads around the fact that artistic license is beneficial to the story in big screen format the better. Jackson knows what he's doing and I'm fucking delighted with The Hobbit so far.

I hope you chaps all enjoy it as much as I did.

Jackson genius indeed. Didn't think it was possible to one-up the LOTR series but he's outdone himself in spades, From immaculate casting to graphics and special effects wizardry, it was an epiphany.

I went today and enjoyed it. Better than The Hobbit but still a couple of points short of the original trilogy.

I was really in to it until that Lake Town bit and I it lost my interest a bit then - although I will concede that I was starting to get really uncomfortable in the cinema at this point (Everyman in Leeds) so that may have had something to do with it.

Gandlef's side quest added nothing to this part of the film (assume it'll have more relevance it part 3) and there wasn't really a proper ending.

In 'The Two Towers' there was a definite end to that film but the way this ends sort of means there was part one and then part 2a and part 2b (if that makes sense).

It was good though & I would certainly recommend it. Well with a trip to the cinema to watch it.

Better than the first film, still too long and baggy and sometimes there was too much CGI, especially on some of the pursuing orcs. Smaug looked fantastic though, Martin Freeman is a terrific Bilbo, Evangeline Lilly is super hot (superfluous character or not) and some of the set pieces were great. Just wish Jackson had a proper editor. 

• 3 weeks later...

HFR is a bit annoying but the film was excellent. Didn't want it to end. Far too much scenes that are not in the book though. 8/10

Just got back from it, and I thought that filling in the 'blanks' of the book really made the film. When I read the book, I always wanted to know where Gandalf was dashing off to, and, we only find out the big picture when we get into LOTR. So for me, filling in the underlying huge scope of an unfolding war, added to the genius.

Yes. Genius. What a team Jackson, Walsh and Boyens are.

Absolutely enthralling from start to finish. They managed to top LOTR in all departments. Interestingly, at the box office, The Hobbit has already matched the total take of LOTR just with the 1st two movies.

9.5 out of 10.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

Just got back from it, and I thought that filling in the 'blanks' of the book really made the film. When I read the book, I always wanted to know where Gandalf was dashing off to, and, we only find out the big picture when we get into LOTR. So for me, filling in the underlying huge scope of an unfolding war, added to the genius.

Yes. Genius. What a team Jackson, Walsh and Boyens are.

Absolutely enthralling from start to finish. They managed to top LOTR in all departments. Interestingly, at the box office, The Hobbit has already matched the total take of LOTR just with the 1st two movies.

9.5 out of 10.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

This is just the box office money from LOTR trilogy and the first two Hobbit movies.

LOTR  $2,917,506,956  The Hobbit films $1,650,132,568.

Then you need to compare the prices of watching a movie to.in 2003 it cost roughly 4.44p to watch a movie to 2013 9.50p as you can see over twice the price.

This is just the box office money from LOTR trilogy and the first two Hobbit movies.

LOTR  $2,917,506,956  The Hobbit films $1,650,132,568.

Then you need to compare the prices of watching a movie to.in 2003 it cost roughly 4.44p to watch a movie to 2013 9.50p as you can see over twice the price.

That's interesting -  the site I got figures from is obviously a bit inaccurate.

• 11 months later...

Watched it last night and Ian Mckeller made a guest appearance and talked about the making of it and so on. Even said that Peter Jackson said this was the best of all 6 movies.

None of the Hobbit movies comes close to the LOTR ones. 

I don't think it would be possible to get close to LOTR, especially as he's essentially drawn out one book over the same viewing time as the LOTRs. A lot of infill, some not great, but still fantastic films.

Just back from watching it. Enjoyed it but I think three films was too much. Too much shoehorned in as Secsh says, and some utter nonsense. Can't work out how to post nsfw stuff but I won't add a spoiler here. One or two things really pissed me off though. How Jackson thinks it's the best of the 6 is baffling. Every one of the LOTRs are far better than this.

That said I don't think anyone would have got close to pulling this off like Jackson has. *applause*

As me old Nan used to tell me - Son, you're better having just one big fat joint, than stringing it out to three. You're just kidding yourself if you don't.

Hahah nice analogy. I actually think two big fat films would have covered The Hobbit off nicely without the need for dragging it out.

Hahah nice analogy. I actually think two big fat films would have covered The Hobbit off nicely without the need for dragging it out.

Deffo. Felt like he ran out of idea's so decided to put some emotional stocking filling in of long teary scenes including bowing, kneeling, love(worra bastard) and pensive far-away looking,  near the end. 

Showed as well as the run time was what, 2hrs 20 tops?...if that.  And it was a stretch to get that.

PS, When oh fucking when, is Billy Connolly going to stop trying to be an actor. His voice alone great's these days, let alone all the other shit.