You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

From what I hear, the second film of the two, in Jackson's words, "will tie off loose ends from Lord of the Rings". Legolas is the son of the King of Mirkwood so I'm not sure if that's the link bringing him in. As for Blanchett I think she could be narrating it.

I'm really looking forward to it, as I'm sure Lurtz is! Martin Freeman seems a good choice to play Bilbo; he's funny and a bit clumsy so that wouldn't be a stretch for Freeman to play. Glad to see Serkis back on board - there's only one Gollum. I've heard McKellen hasn't officially signed on yet but I'm sure he will. The only fart in the garden of Eden for me is that gobshite James Nesbitt getting a part, he's one of the dwarves.

This should be an outstanding pair of films, especially as Jackson is now on board. Can't wait.

Leonard Nimoy rumoured for the voice of Smaug, and David Tennant for Thrandull.

Legolas is in there to be in the second film. The story so far is that the second film is to fill the 60 year gap between the end of The Hobbit and The Fellowship. The material is all there, it was just never put together as a book by Tolkien. I've got full faith in Jackson that he won't make some Hollywood fuckfest out of it.

Leonard Nimoy rumoured for the voice of Smaug, and David Tennant for Thrandull.

Legolas is in there to be in the second film. The story so far is that the second film is to fill the 60 year gap between the end of The Hobbit and The Fellowship. The material is all there, it was just never put together as a book by Tolkien. I've got full faith in Jackson that he won't make some Hollywood fuckfest out of it.

I honestly can't see him fucking it up, it's the major reason he refuses to shoot films in the States. He feels he's away from the madness of La-La Land. And, of course, New Zealand is a bloody beautiful country making it perfect for Middle Earth. I heard that about the second film, it should be interesting to see how he deals with it. Rumours that he wants to show Aragorn putting a watch on the Shire on Gandalf's orders (mentioned in the books but never alluded to in the films) have surfaced as well, so Mortensson could be back on board. I just can't wait.

And TheBitch - yeah, I'm afraid so. Nesbitt is indeed in this film. Hopefully he's not in it enough to spoil my enjoyment of it. The twat.

Another who's signed up, allegedly, is one of the old Doctor Who's (name escapes me but its not Tom Baker) is playing Radagast the Brown.

And TheBitch - yeah, I'm afraid so. Nesbitt is indeed in this film. Hopefully he's not in it enough to spoil my enjoyment of it. The twat.

Another who's signed up, allegedly, is one of the old Doctor Who's (name escapes me but its not Tom Baker) is playing Radagast the Brown.

Nesbitt is indeed a major downside

Sylvester McCoy

Sylvester McCoy Cast in 'The Hobbit' as Radagast the Brown? « FirstShowing.net

This is one hell of a cast (Nesbitt aside)

You're dead right. Some are saying it's a bit of a gamble having Richard Armitage in such a pivotal role (almost like the 'Aragorn' role of these books) as Thorin, but Jackson isn't afraid of making left field casting decisions. Some said it was a gamble to have relative unknowns (Wood aside) playing the Hobbits but it worked a treat, as did throwing in Karl Urban and Bernard Hill. So if they're good enough for Jackson, that's fine with me.

Except Nesbitt.

By the looks of things they're going to do the battle of Dol Guldur, and obviously Gandalf recovering the ring from Thrain and escaping from Sauron.

Hopefully anyway Sauron will be more than Jackson's mistaken belief of just a flaming eye.

It was never his mistaken belief though. He explains in the dvd extras that it's his interpretation of the being of Sauron. He said it was one of the hardest images to create for the films since there was a number of ways he could have gone with it.

You're dead right. Some are saying it's a bit of a gamble having Richard Armitage in such a pivotal role (almost like the 'Aragorn' role of these books) as Thorin, but Jackson isn't afraid of making left field casting decisions. Some said it was a gamble to have relative unknowns (Wood aside) playing the Hobbits but it worked a treat, as did throwing in Karl Urban and Bernard Hill. So if they're good enough for Jackson, that's fine with me.

Except Nesbitt.

Fear not about Nesbitt. Jackson originally cast Stuart Townsend as Aragorn in the LotR movies, realised how shit he was, sacked him off and brought in Mortensen instead. Fingers crossed.

Quite a few years since i read this book (about 25 i think) and can't be arsed to google but if i remember rightly isn't this set with Bilbo Baggins as a young fella.

He finds some treasure guarding by a big fuck off Dragon.

Other then that i can remember fuck all.