You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mourinho next Liverpool manager?

Rashid

Guest Martin

koman. Yes i know i cant spell Poor league (Dutch) but wins it, not bad in CL with mostly home grown team and has more than plan a and is a coach first. Speaks English and is born winner PS would prob bring Van Basten with him and likes home grown talent. I dont reject O'Neil but I like winners who play with style do not seem to b******t and second is not an option (well 4th). I read GH excuses to day in the paper and wonder what drugs he was taking and how much and where do i buy. Manager? Storyteller? Cold wet pissed off morgaged to the hilt & GH gone before the end of April I have put my money where my mouth is and please be right.

Yes, but I believe it was a quadruple: league, two domestic cups and the Uefa cup. They're also unbeaten in the league this season and in the quarters of the Champions' League. That is impressive, in my book - wherever they play the bulk of their games.

Would Mourhino leave a side that have made such excellent progress in the Europe over the past couple of seasons (hang on were we not in that position two seasons ago?!!!! Contrast the respective fortunes of us and Porto since we beat them in the UEFA QF in 2001) to join a team where CL football is by no means guaranteed?

Unfortunately I don't think Houllier will at the end of the season but if he does O'Neill or Ranieri are the likely candidates, I would favour Ranieri as I'm sure he would relish the challenge and the chance to put one over his greedy former employers.

My own No. 1 choice for the job is Fabio Capello, he has an outstanding domestic and European record in both Italy and Spain, is an anglophile and has often spoke of a desire to manage in England (its said he applied for the England job Sven got). I believe that he is contracted to Roma until 2005 but I'm sure he could be prised away for the right price, especially given Roma's current financial difficulties.

I would be quite suprised if the board appointed another foreign coach as it may be precieved as another expensive risk (particulary if CL qualification passes us by for more seasons to come), of course Ranieri might be regarded differently as he has premiership experience. This is potentially a massive stumbling block as I don't think there is a British coach (O'Neill aside) that is up to it. Curbishley possibly but this would also be something of a gamble too, Toshack is another name that always pops up but I think he's on the wane.

Fabio is the man to not only bring the titles back but restore the high standard of football and players that we are badly missing, just look how he transformed Roma over the last 5 years. You never know he might even bring Totti with him!!!!!!

I don't think he will be either WaltonRed but I thought we are talking about coaches we would like to see at the club.

OK - what do you consider sensible? Another "potentially" good manager like we've had Souness, Evans, or even Houllier (although I believe he won a title in France)?? I for one don't want to go down that road again.

Surely the minimum criteria for the job now must be a proven record of winning things?

Every man has his price.....

yeah fabio would be for everyone but can we stop the delusion please,FABIO CAPELLO will not be the next Liverpool boss he's more likely to go to chelsea than us so can we pack in and have sensible suggestions please.

Don't know why people seem so certain that he'd chose Chelsea over us. He has never said anything of the kind. In fact, if anything he has always spoken very highly of us as a club and he fvcking loved his trips to Anfield in the past.

Didn't he p1ss off his own fans after we beat them 2-0 (mosaic and all that) by saying that LFC fans were the best in the world?

Chelsea, regardless of money, have absolutely no European pedigree or any worthy history and Fabio certainly doesn't need the money so what good reason would he have to go there aoart friom the fact they've got billions of pounds.......... erm, oh yeah! ;-)

But I still wouldn't rule him out joining us just yet.

Guest mike23

One Porto director, who confirmed the contact but wished to remain anonymous, said: “Mourinho has done brilliantly for our club since he joined two years ago so we will not prevent him following his heart and moving to England. Our worry is that Mourinho is likely to want to take players like Paolo Ferreira, Ricardo Carvalho and Benni McCarthy with him which means the break up of what is a great team.”

Throw in the play-maker Deco and he's got my vote.

Don't know why people seem so certain that he'd chose Chelsea over us. He has never said anything of the kind. In fact, if anything he has always spoken very highly of us as a club and he fvcking loved his trips to Anfield in the past.

Didn't he p1ss off his own fans after we beat them 2-0 (mosaic and all that) by saying that LFC fans were the best in the world?

Chelsea, regardless of money, have absolutely no European pedigree or any worthy history and Fabio certainly doesn't need the money so what good reason would he have to go there aoart friom the fact they've got billions of pounds.......... erm, oh yeah! ;-)

But I still wouldn't rule him out joining us just yet.

I was in Rome for a few weeks earlier this year, staying with my cousins who have Roma season tickets in the Curva Sud. They say that Capello will jump at the chance to manage in England. The guy is a great manager, who won the Italian league 2 years back and has rejuvinated the Roma side again this year by ringing the changes - most of the old faces have gone and the team is awesome. Went to see them beat Parma 6-0 and after that Inter 4-1!!!

Totti although a diving scumbag, the most skilfull player I have ever seen. He is worshipped in Rome though, and I could not see him leaving Roma with Capello unfortunately!!! He has also brought through youth such as Cassano, Mancini, De Rossi etc. Anyway I feel that I have digressed a bit. He is an awesome manager, and I think if we approached him we would have a great chance to get him in. :thumbup:

Guest quo1927

surely the only realistic choice,(if there is one)would be martin o neil.the only british coach with the potential for success domestically and in europe look what he`s done with celtic. with it has to be said , apart from henrik ,some very ordinary players.

surely the only realistic choice,(if there is one)would be martin o neil.the only british coach with the potential for success domestically and in europe look what he`s done with celtic. with it has to be said , apart from henrik ,some very ordinary players.

There are plenty of people I'd have oevr O'Neill. Don;t get me started on that one again. ;-)

no, no and no again.

I respect your opinion. But O'Neill is not the " only realistic choice."

He is certainly a strong candidate. I don't personally like him and many others hold the same opinion. His "class" as a manager is dabatable, whereas with someone like Capello "class" is not debatable. Don't get me wrong O'Neill has done a great job at Celtic and was decent at Leicester but I think it would be a huge step up for O'Neill to try and manage at the highest level at the premiership. He could possibly succeed. The style of football would not really improve, although Im sure we would get more determination from the players. Don't know how effective he would be with spending money.

There is a strong case for O'Neill but IMO there are better options.

listen capello would be my dream number one choice sure,he is one of my favourite managers in the world.i used to love his Milan team that won the european cup but I just couldnt see it happening and that why i appeal for a bit of realism,MON is the only choice.

curbs-done a good job but could he step up?

Toshack-no thanks,great player and good managre but dont fancy a old player as the manager and that goes for ex managers too so no kenny even tho my heart says the king

We need a clean break from ged and thats why i say MON followed by Mourinho but I just think MON is the main man

listen capello would be my dream number one choice sure,he is one of my favourite managers in the world.i used to love his Milan team that won the european cup but I just couldnt see it happening and that why i appeal for a bit of realism,MON is the only choice.

Toshack-no thanks,great player and good managre but dont fancy a old player as the manager and that goes for ex managers too so no kenny even tho my heart says the king

We need a clean break from ged and thats why i say MON followed by Mourinho but I just think MON is the main man

Agree with you totally , Capello would be a class capture but if not him then MO. Given the mediocrity he's had to work with in the past (excepting Henrik) he's done very well. For me he wears his heart on his sleeve and is passionate about the game, both good things IMO.

Capello will almost certainly be at Chelsea next season, imo. There's little chance he'd choose us over them, anyway. And the more I think about it, the more I reckon even Mourinho is out of our league. He'll have the pick of Spanish clubs to manage, and with no particular love for LFC it's hard to imagine him living that part of the world for here.

To be honest, all this talk of big names seems a little OTT to me. I'd say we're more likely to end up with something like Strachan & Gary Mac. And what's saddest of all is, I reckon that'd be better than carrying on withg GH.

You don't want Kenny just because he is an 'old player' or 'ex-manager'??? What kind of reason is that? Kenny is a genius who Houllier doesn't even hold a candle to. He would inspire the players and fans with a pride and determination we have not felt for a long time. Houllier is killing Liverpool FC slowly but surely. Any time Kenny wants to take the job is not a day too soon.

to insult me over kenny is an ultimate.I merely meant that I dont want kenny back because in my head i know you should never go back.I know he is a genius and our greatest player and he would inspire players and fans alike but I just feel it'd be wrong long term.

If he came back Id dance like the rest of us but I think we need a clean break and go for someone with no connections at all to us.

• 4 years later...
Liverpool target Mourinho

By Graham Hunter

Liverpool want Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho as their new manager and have already sounded out the ex-Porto, Chelsea boss about joining in the summer.

In a stunning about-turn by Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks, since the turn of the year a staunch supporter of Rafa Benitez's hot-and-cold reign as Reds boss, it would appear that the failure to win a second European Cup in three years may have cost Rafa his job.

Sources believe that there has already been a direct meeting between the parties but think that Mourinho has not yet agreed to move to Anfield until he sees whether Inter Milan can offer him the same stability and freedom that he enjoyed at Chelsea.

Mourinho has already proven himself as a coach at the very highest level but would dearly love a repeat of his 2004 Champions League crown with Porto, and feels Liverpool are the team best equipped to do this. Another team interested in his services were however given shorter shrift -he has also been sounded out by Newcastle United.

At the time he said: “We were in Marseille for the Champions League and someone accredited to Newcastle spoke with me about moving right away back to England.

“I told him if it was a proposition for next season then we could talk to see what could happen. But to watch Marseille and then start immediately at Newcastle, I wouldn’t even listen to that invitation, there are issues with my last contract at Chelsea. But Newcastle are a big club all the same.”

The Liverpool offer has attracted him at the moment and his agent Philipe Cavalera expects him to accept and sign for them this summer it if no other firm offers come in.

One Liverpool source, who confirmed the contact but wished to remain anonymous, said: “Mourinho has done brilliantly wherever he has managed over the past few years so we are keen for him to follow his heart and his hero Bob Paisley, and move to Liverpool. Our only worry is that Mourinho is likely to want to bring in players like Paolo Ferreira, Ricardo Carvalho and Didier Drogba with him which may mean the break up of what is a great Liverpool team.”

Mourinho started out as Sir Bobby Robson’s translator at Sporting Lisbon and Benfica and, despite no background in professional football, he was promoted by Robson to assistant coach. They worked together at Barcelona, winning the Spanish Cup, the Cup Winners Cup and the Spanish Supercup finishing second in the league to Real Madrid.

Mourinho stayed on at Barcelona when Robson left, confirmed as number two to Louis Van Gaal, but then moved back to Portugal after winning the Spanish title in 1999.

Brought in to save Porto in 2002 when the fallen giants had crashed down the Portuguese Championship the former language teacher worked the oracle and took them to the pinnacle of European football in under a year and a half.

He then moved to Chelsea and Roman Abramovich's roubles in the summer of 2004, winning two consecutive Premier League titles and reaching the semi finals of the Champions League twice in three years, losing to Liverpool each time.

Liverpool see him as the man who can bring them the title again after an 18 year wait, someone who renowned as a master team-builder and a coach upon whom a dynasty can be rebuilt. Before his move in 2004, Mourinho often said that he desired to work for “one of England’s great sides”, which Chelsea despite their recent success cannot yet claim to be, and is understood to have admitted that improving on Benitez's work at Liverpool and returning them to Championship winning form would be his dream.

31 May 2008

What the fuck?!!!

Fuck off Mourhino, and fuck off Hicks!!!

I wonder what Mourinho would have done at Liverpool had he joined, him and Rafa are very similiar in how they prepare teams but totally different in how they motivate them. I hate Jose's playing style so it's a bullet dodged.

• 2 years later...