You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Never got to grips with Lavezzi in the first half as he kept finding space to turn and run. Poulsen actually played the ball forward much more than usual (not entirely accurately of course) and there was one through-ball that Ngog should have buried.

Better second half for the most part, although it became evident that although Napoli were tiring, so were Spearing and Shelvey. This is when Gerrard stepped things up a gear and the results were there for all to see.

Aronica's "challenge" on Ngog seemed OK watching it live, but the replays clearly show what a shithouse act it was. He was lucky not to see red (got his comeuppance by conceding the penalty) and Ngog was extremely lucky not to break his leg.

I've been reading that they had a lot of tickets for the Annie road end and the main stand but were stopped from getting in so there's trouble outside the ground, don't know how much though. I did see some of them in the main stand on the tele though.

Horrible cunts were all over the place, quite a large section of about 2000 in the main stand, and then they were scatters of them all around. Have to say they are a bunch of fuckin cunts. There was a bit of trouble outside the ground tonight and the general atmosphere created by them was a nasty one. Fuck off back to Italy you utter cunts.

Very pleased with the win. I always am, I will pull you up when you only watched half the match and then say Roy is starting to get things together. Even missing the first half the second was shite too actually.

I'm typing this with a smile because I'm happy we won, ok with you?

Think he's referring to all the whooshing after his comment.

The commentator said there was some aggro between the police and Napoli fans on Anny Road, as the Napoli fans had valid tickets but not in the Napoli section. Apparently, and I quote, "there were pockets of Napoli fans dotted around the ground, so the police were monitoring the situation and were prepared to shift them if things got heated." Did anything kick-off after the game?

Decent performance by the youngsters again. Shelvey had a couple of sketchy moments and Spearing missed a few more passes than usual, but what I have to say I was really impressed with was the way that he doesn't let his head drop when he knocks the odd ropey ball: he always wants possession, he tracks, he made a couple of excellent tackles and he's keen to have the responsibility. Can't ask for much more from him than that. Good player with a great attitude.

Kyrg was typically imperious in the air. On the whole, we were pretty average. Freak goal got us back in it, GJ did well to win the penno, and Lucas' tackle/Gerrard's finish on the third were both superb, but again, an error.

I'm a bit of a broken record on the subject, but we're too fucking narrow. I'd rather have Cakes and Amoo running the channels than Raul / Shelvey played out of position. We only ever get the ball wide with GJ or Konchesky and that isn't really working, we're far too easy to mark in the final third. Until that's rectified I don't see us building any serious momentum.

That said, a win's a win, and I nearly did myself a fucking injury celebrating the third goal. Always wanted the win but I was so, so glad we beat them after that tackle on N'Gog. Utterly disgusting and their man should have been off the pitch. At least he doesn't have the satisfaction of a result.

I'm not having it that Hodgson's substitutions won the game, I thought it was another poor showing from him. The Gerrard sub made itself because we were so utterly abysmal going forward. Apart from NGog's snap shot we were little better second half until Dossena's backpass. There was no magical substitution or change, we just got a bit of luck, capitalised and grew in confidence from there.

I'm delighted we won and onwards and upwards but Hodgson is getting no praise from me because I don't think he did anything other than the obvious. I even disagreed with taking Jovanovic off. It should have been Poulsen, who is so bad it's not funny.

I do not honestly see how people think we played well - we played really, really well in the last 15 minutes but before that I thought we were a dreadful, disorganised mess with no width or balance. And to boot Napoli helped a lot by being garbage after they scored.

Guest ShoePiss
I'm not having it that Hodgson's substitutions won the game, I thought it was another poor showing from him. The Gerrard sub made itself because we were so utterly abysmal going forward. Apart from NGog's snap shot we were little better second half until Dossena's backpass. There was no magical substitution or change, we just got a bit of luck, capitalised and grew in confidence from there.

I'm delighted we won and onwards and upwards but Hodgson is getting no praise from me because I don't think he did anything other than the obvious. I even disagreed with taking Jovanovic off. It should have been Poulsen, who is so bad it's not funny.

I do not honestly see how people think we played well - we played really, really well in the last 15 minutes but before that I thought we were a dreadful, disorganised mess with no width or balance. And to boot Napoli helped a lot by being garbage after they scored.

Exactly how I saw it.

quote from EL RAY, on RAWK:

Back home! Fucking scary that on the way home about 50 Napoli fans all in black hoods up and scarves covering there mouths just marching down the middle of the road, seen a bloke about 30 odd, liverpool shirt on with a smashed up face and people gathered round him, must of left the ground early and been caught by some Ities.

absolute cunts

That was one of the worst midfield setups I have ever seen. I like Jonjo but his sense of positioning when playing wide is laughable, there were times when all of the midfielders were within 10 yards of one another. It was abysmal and it was the performance of a desperate mob.

Delighted with that 2nd half performance there. Made up for Roy as well. He was right to pick the side he picked as Sunday is a massive game for us. His substitutions were all spot on and it was good that he kept the likes of Spearing and Shelvey on over more senior players even though the latter struggled though understandable as we are so thin on the ground when it comes to wide players until January.

It would have been an easy choice to take the younger inexperienced players off but he was brave and subbed the two international players so he deserves credit for that.

It was good that he didn't leave it another 10-15 minutes after half time which most managers tend to do he was decisive and made the change which effectively won the match. He has got loads of stick since he has been here most of it justified, some of it over the top so he deserves credit for getting things right when he does as well.

I can see why people thought Poulsen was poor again although I don't think he was as bad as I assume people are making out to be, although his mistake cost us the goal he nearly created an equalizer for N'Gog with a great slide rule through ball not long after. Spearing did well and worked hard I thought although sometimes he needs to keep it simple rather than trying the ''Hollywood'' ball he can hold his head up and it is great experience these young lads are getting right now which again Roy deserves credit for.

I haven't seen the tackle on N'Gog on the box yet but by all accounts it was a bad one but I thought he worked his nads off tonight although he should have buried that chance just after half-time he is a much, much better player than he was two years ago and I would have been happy to ship him out last year but fair play to the lad he has worked hard at his game.

Meireles flitted in and out of the game which was understandable with him playing out of position but it is obvious he is a technically very good footballer who in a settled side will be a valuable player for us for a few years.

I must be one of the very few who doesn't think Konchesky is that bad. Just a solid full back who is miles better than what we have had there over the past three or four years. Nothing spectacular but that really isn't needed at full back is it?

I really fancy us to win on Sunday, have been saying the same to friends all week and tonight has just whetted that optimism even more. They are obviously an excellent side but they are beatable if we show the same effort, attitude and class we have shown over the past few games at times. Stevie will be bursting at the seams after tonight and I think we will shade it.

I even disagreed with taking Jovanovic off. It should have been Poulsen, who is so bad it's not funny.

I don't disagree with any of this. I felt the same about the Jovanovic sub as well, I thought he was one of our best players in the first half - he actually sticks out wide and found himself in space quite a few times. Could hardly believe he was taken off.

That was one of the worst midfield setups I have ever seen. I like Jonjo but his sense of positioning when playing wide is laughable, there were times when all of the midfielders were within 10 yards of one another. It was abysmal and it was the performance of a desperate mob.

Maybe because he's not a wide player?

Spot on that, poor management again bailed out by a bit of luck and a genius. What on earth is going on with 5 central midfielders on the pitch?!

Delighted with that 2nd half performance there. Made up for Roy as well. He was right to pick the side he picked as Sunday is a massive game for us. His substitutions were all spot on and it was good that he kept the likes of Spearing and Shelvey on over more senior players even though the latter struggled though understandable as we are so thin on the ground when it comes to wide players until January.

It would have been an easy choice to take the younger inexperienced players off but he was brave and subbed the two international players so he deserves credit for that.

It was good that he didn't leave it another 10-15 minutes after half time which most managers tend to do he was decisive and made the change which effectively won the match. He has got loads of stick since he has been here most of it justified, some of it over the top so he deserves credit for getting things right when he does as well.

I can see why people thought Poulsen was poor again although I don't think he was as bad as I assume people are making out to be, although his mistake cost us the goal he nearly created an equalizer for N'Gog with a great slide rule through ball not long after. Spearing did well and worked hard I thought although sometimes he needs to keep it simple rather than trying the ''Hollywood'' ball he can hold his head up and it is great experience these young lads are getting right now which again Roy deserves credit for.

I haven't seen the tackle on N'Gog on the box yet but by all accounts it was a bad one but I thought he worked his nads off tonight although he should have buried that chance just after half-time he is a much, much better player than he was two years ago and I would have been happy to ship him out last year but fair play to the lad he has worked hard at his game.

Meireles flitted in and out of the game which was understandable with him playing out of position but it is obvious he is a technically very good footballer who in a settled side will be a valuable player for us for a few years.

I must be one of the very few who doesn't think Konchesky is that bad. Just a solid full back who is miles better than what we have had there over the past three or four years. Nothing spectacular but that really isn't needed at full back is it?

I really fancy us to win on Sunday, have been saying the same to friends all week and tonight has just whetted that optimism even more. They are obviously an excellent side but they are beatable if we show the same effort, attitude and class we have shown over the past few games at times. Stevie will be bursting at the seams after tonight and I think we will shade it.

wow.

I saw you asked about the tackle on N'gog -- were you at this game?

Credit where it's due, bringing on Gerrard at H/T turned the game. We dominated that second half and were good for the victory in the end. First half was shite again and that has been our Achilles heel this season. Playing at home be more fucking adventurous Roy!!! We need to see more passion like the second half.

Can't believe people are saying we were woeful. First half yes, but it was a good second half performance which we dominated. Get your heads out of your arse and your negativity towards Hodgson. It's ok to praise the team without looking for excuses to put Hodgson down. if a certain manager had won three on the spin some would be fornicating over it.

I wonder who that might be? Just when did he last win 3 in a row here?

As regards the sub, some are never happy. Only a few games ago, they were crying about no subs until the last 10 minutes, now they're crying about the right subs been made. 3 points clear and top of the group, makes a pleasant change from 12 months ago, when staring elimination and humiliation in the face.

But the abuse will keep coming.....:whatever:

Guest Pistonbroke
It's an absolute shocker John, a total and utter disgrace.

Being as he wasn't booked for that incident UEFA can and should use video evidence to ban that cunt.