You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 4 best moments of last night's match, in no particular order:

- Lavezzi's nutmeg on Shelvey

- Gerrard's sweet little dink over De Sanctis for his hat-trick

- Reina going hell for leather to prevent the ball going out for a corner

- Meireles and his 20-yard skidding challenge on De Sanctis

Apparently Commoli was overheard saying to one of the press pack, "“Do you know why Roy is playing five central midfielders?” “No,” came the reply. “Because he hasn’t got six,” came the answer.

I sincerely hope that isn't true, because if it is then he was totally out of order.

It isn't.

It's an old joke. Did the rounds with Rafa last year.

I don't know why it's been exhumed now.

Good game last night though. Halfway decent performance for most of the second half but a great result all the same.

If there's ever been a more odious bunch of gobshites in the away end for a European tie then I'd be surprised.

Athletico Madrid getting bevvied with us in Yates's, chanting our name at the end of the game and shaking our hands on the way into the centre to carrying on drinking seems a long way away.

I felt something ignite inside me when Gerrard put his finger to his lips after the first away goal in front of them. Seeing the N'gog assault , (there's no other word for it), sickened me.

If a club was ever built in the image of the fans then this bunch encapsulate it.

We won, and for a virtually meaningless early round European game, I don't think I've ever been more pleased.

Fuck them.