You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Always wondered how brilliant he would have been if he hadn’t been a pisshead.

Fair question,  To make it to the top of the game being thick as pig shit and hopelessly addicted to booze takes some doing, Rock stars it kind of goes with territory but to be a professional footballer it takes some talent.

Fair question, To make it to the top of the game being thick as pig shit and hopelessly addicted to booze takes some doing, Rock stars it kind of goes with territory but to be a professional footballer it takes some talent.

He was fucking brilliant without dedicating himself to the game, if he had, the outcome could have been off the charts.

I saw him play a few times when he played for Rangers. Miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch and at that time Rangers had some real talent.

Mad as a box of frogs though. Nearly caused riots when he scored against Celtic and ran to the crowd mimicking playing the flute. 

I remember another game where he had been giving the right back a torrid time (can't remember who). The right back obviously decided he was going to break Gazza's legs and launched himself at him. Gazza just stuck the ball through his legs, jumped over the tackle and the ref sent the right back off with Gazza pissing himself laughing behind him.

He should have signed for us and not Spurs. Could have been a different story away from the temptations of the capital.

He'd have been a basket case wherever he signed.

He turned up to the woods with a KFC and tins to try and chat with a murderer - I can't see how anyone could blame his life on moving to London.

I'd have fucking loved him here mind!

He used to drink in my local for a short while when he was at Everton. Just came in one night and sat by the pool table, put his marker down and cracked on as if he had been a regular for years. Sat there smoking, drinking pints with half pint chasers and having a laugh. Turned up most nights but when word got around loads of people started coming in with shirts and boots for him to sign and it quickly became a circus so he stopped coming in.

A good guy with obvious issues. Shit at pool though, beat him three times.

• Upvote 3

Was at a charity event with Kevin Keegan the other night and was on his table. Pretty much sitting next to him all evenin, which was a surreal experience in itself. He was telling stories all night and got talking about Gazza. Said everyone pretty much has tried to help him for years. But all ended up giving up him cos he would just relapse every time. He said he had to get him sectioned once cos he Locked himself in a hotel room thinking the IRA were after him. Police couldn’t do nothing cos he hadn’t done anything wrong so he called the men in white coats and got him sectioned. Then he came out of the priory and got smashed again.

• 6 months later...

Undoubtedly brilliant when he was in Scotland on the pitch but he shouldn't have been up for SFL Hall of Fame nomination anyway after his flute playing and punching shit out of his wife. That said, i'm not sure nominating him then withdrawing the nomination due to 'his health' is a very nice thing to do. He has mental health issues, thats discriminatory. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45829386