You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First 10 games of the season it looked good to me. We were playing the expansive, pass and move, full backs flying, CM and AM positional rotation stuff and a mobile playmaker looked like a perfect fit. When it turned out we couldn't defend in that mode and it all flopped and we went down the old-fashioned english 442 route, he became the proverbial 5th wheel. Hodgson isn't going to play a way that suits him IMO, so we're better off getting shot.

did we not lose two of our first 3 games? and aquilani was injured for about the first 3 months as well

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is one of the finest central midfielders in the world, why are top managers so reluctant to play him there?

Just to pick up on this point, the reason Gerrard doesn't always play CM is his versatility. He is a great player whatever position you stick him in. Frank Lampard and Barry couldn't do a job at RM/LM or AM: Stevie can. Was the same with us when he was deployed on the right and then in the AM position. It's usually to do with the back-up options on the wing not being as good as the centre mids.

Managers want to get all their best players on the pitch and they know Stevie can do a job from anywhere. It's not a reluctance to play in him in centre mid, but if you stuck him there for England it would mean benching Barry/Lamps and playing a less experienced player instead; if you'd done it for us 08/09 it would mean benching Masch or Alonso; if you'd done it last season for us when Aquilani was out, god knows who we'd have played with our injury problems, not to mention compromising his great understanding with Torres.

It really speaks to his quality that he's often not deployed in centre mid, I don't think it's ever been because a manager thought he couldn't play there.

We've had years of the media telling us Gerrard's best in the centre, when we used him on the right, and off Torres. He's had one game for England off Rooney and everyone in the media is telling us that Roy's now using him wrong by playing him in the middle, his natural position is off the striker. Set of bastards.

We've had years of the media telling us Gerrard's best in the centre, when we used him on the right, and off Torres. He's had one game for England off Rooney and everyone in the media is telling us that Roy's now using him wrong by playing him in the middle, his natural position is off the striker. Set of bastards.

Serves you right for listening to "the media".

Point taken. I ain't listening - I just find it amusing that they've changed their mind so much.

I prefer Gerrard behind the striker to be honest, but we've other options in that position with fewer options in centre mid. And playing Gerrard as a central midfielder isn't exactly him "doing a job" - he's still one of the best in the league in that position.

Andy Gray had a few digs at benitez on sunday. he was slabbering about zonal marking but obviously based all his opinions on last season because for the previous 4 seasons we'd had one of if not the best defensive records in the premier league.

Gerrard hasn't had a season in centre midfield for a long time. he's played right or off the front man for the majority of the time so I don't think we've seen enough of him in midfield to know if it is his best position or not. He may see more of the ball, win the ball back, start attacks, play through balls but he may not find the net as regularly.

if he can score 20 goals this season and do all the other midfield stuff then his best position is centre midfield

Just to pick up on this point, the reason Gerrard doesn't always play CM is his versatility. He is a great player whatever position you stick him in. Frank Lampard and Barry couldn't do a job at RM/LM or AM: Stevie can. Was the same with us when he was deployed on the right and then in the AM position. It's usually to do with the back-up options on the wing not being as good as the centre mids.

Managers want to get all their best players on the pitch and they know Stevie can do a job from anywhere. It's not a reluctance to play in him in centre mid, but if you stuck him there for England it would mean benching Barry/Lamps and playing a less experienced player instead; if you'd done it for us 08/09 it would mean benching Masch or Alonso; if you'd done it last season for us when Aquilani was out, god knows who we'd have played with our injury problems, not to mention compromising his great understanding with Torres.

It really speaks to his quality that he's often not deployed in centre mid, I don't think it's ever been because a manager thought he couldn't play there.

Somebody Green this post for me please. It is the perfect text book answer.

Point taken. I ain't listening - I just find it amusing that they've changed their mind so much.

I prefer Gerrard behind the striker to be honest, but we've other options in that position with fewer options in centre mid. And playing Gerrard as a central midfielder isn't exactly him "doing a job" - he's still one of the best in the league in that position.

I know what you mean, key thing though is: what does a manager expect from someone in that CM role? What a Benitez/Capello/Sacchi type wants is very different to what, for example, a Ferguson/Mourinho type would want. The former would tell you he's not good enough, and they are right, and the latter would tell you he's the best in the world. And they are right too.

Getting the key partnerships and balance right is more important than where he plays IMO.

Getting the key partnerships and balance right is more important than where he plays IMO.

Gerrard and Masch in the middle is the right partnership if we have players further up the field who can add another dimension to the attack

what continues to do my head in re: Aquilani is the number of games where he isn't being selected

i thought his omission on Sunday was because he was injured - but it turns out he isn't

having spent 20m Euro on the player we should at least be trying to get our monies worth!

Gerrard and Masch in the middle is the right partnership if we have players further up the field who can add another dimension to the attack

what continues to do my head in re: Aquilani is the number of games where he isn't being selected

i thought his omission on Sunday was because he was injured - but it turns out he isn't

having spent 20m Euro on the player we should at least be trying to get our monies worth!

Mascherano and Gerrard looks perfect on paper, but I always remember being underwhelmed whenever they play together. Can't put a finger on it though.

The window of opportunity for Aquilani to make a name for himself here has well and truly closed. He'll be at most a 17m bench warmer and that's a waste.

Wow, really?

I'm not saying he's pulled up any trees but you can't deny the goals and assists.

I know a lot of you on these boards were desperate for Rafa to go but using this signing to still bash him with after he's gone is poor form.

I think this is what it boils down to.

I think Aquilani seems a very good player, am I the only one?

Every time he's come on he has shown he has a fair bit of technical skill and the passing in our team seems to be more fluid.

Definitely agree he should play regularely or be sold asap

Your not the only one but because the manager wants rid he's shit and if manager wanted to keep him he would be a world beater.

he is an old style Liverpool player pass and always on the move which you dont see today, hence why he wouldnt look out of place in the Barca team.

However Houlllier, Rafa and now Hodgson like there teams to be more rigid and if you play pass n move football and lose the ball you can be in trouble.

he is an old style Liverpool player pass and always on the move which you dont see today, hence why he wouldnt look out of place in the Barca team.

However Houlllier, Rafa and now Hodgson like there teams to be more rigid and if you play pass n move football and lose the ball you can be in trouble.

Does your tactical acumen stretch any further than singing "Pass & move, it's the Liverpool Groove" over and over again?