You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

heh heh..watch the game.

He was far more effective against either Cagliari or Bologna (maybe the most physical I have seen him). Most of the tracking back you are referring to in those highlights was on set pieces. He is a nice player (and admittedly is playing way better than he did for us) but he does not exactly have the weight of the world on his shoulder at Juve. He has Quag, Del Piero or Iaquinta/Amauri in front of him and Melo and Marchisio behind him w Krasic scoring for fun up one wing - hardly the same role we needed from that player.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, agree to disagree. I've seen most of Juve's games this season - as I've watched them for years - and I think he's worked hard. Certainly Melo takes on most of the responsbility in terms of defensive work, but Aquilani's not been shy of putting in a shift.

no problems - see my above comment.

Overall I think I have seen probably 75% he has played this year - I am not saying he does not look better, or he is not a nice player - what i am saying is what he does for Juve, or (more to the point) what he did for Roma - was never going to translate to LFC.

no problems - see my above comment.

Overall I think I have seen probably 75% he has played this year - I am not saying he does not look better, or he is not a nice player - what i am saying is what he does for Juve, or (more to the point) what he did for Roma - was never going to translate to LFC.

Heh, I don't want this turning in to an "I've seen more games than you" argument, mate. Can't really argue with your assessment. He's suited to the Italian game, and struggled when he was here. Still think he had a lot to offer us if he'd have been given a proper run in the side, but can see why we've chose to cut our losses. As it stands, we'd only make a €4m loss in terms of the transfer fee, which in todays market is nothing really.

Heh, I don't want this turning in to an "I've seen more games than you" argument, mate. Can't really argue with your assessment. He's suited to the Italian game, and struggled when he was here. Still think he had a lot to offer us if he'd have been given a proper run in the side, but can see why we've chose to cut our losses. As it stands, we'd only make a €4m loss in terms of the transfer fee, which in todays market is nothing really.

Not meaning that at all amigo, just pointing out that I have seen the player enough. We both know he did not walk into that side, Palermo helped a little. Plus it is telling that he does not get a sniff of European football for them though he may work his way in there too. I guess my point is it would be tough for him to get a "proper run" in our side as he is a tweener in terms of our system.

Not meaning that at all amigo, just pointing out that I have seen the player enough. We both know he did not walk into that side, Palermo helped a little. Plus it is telling that he does not get a sniff of European football for them though he may work his way in there too. I guess my point is it would be tough for him to get a "proper run" in our side as he is a tweener in terms of our system.

Yeah, I get you, mate. He's cup-tied in the Europa League, though. Think he's eligible to play in the knockout rounds, but not 100% on that. I realise it was difficult for him to get a run of games in the side, guess I'm just disappointed that a player of his quality didn't succeed here.

Anyway, we'll get a good fee for him, and can use that on someone more suited to what we need.

Has anybody been watching these games where he is "pinging" it around?

I have and tbh, he is the ultimate luxury midfielder. Alonso had balls and grit and put in a shift in addition to the passing. Aqui does NO work off the ball for this team. None. He has Marchisio and Melo bustin their ass for 90 minutes - not a good fit for us, unless you think he is better than Gerrard supporting Torres. He is very good at that, but would not offer anywhere near the goal threat SG does.

XugPGTyIql4

It's a pity he was never given a decent run in the side when he got fit. A three man midfield of him, Gerrard and Lucas has potential - especially if you had the intention of replacing Lucas as soon as you could.

Suppose he's still only played 75% of games this season but, on the other hand, he's got a touch of class about him that Meireles and Lucas simply don't possess.

Although i wanted him to stay and it was a ridiculous decision to send him on loan..i have to agree that he is a bit of a luxury player.

He does need that extra touch on the ball and when we are playing with Roy's tactics and unless we started to play possession football again he would be pointless.

Although i wanted him to stay and it was a ridiculous decision to send him on loan..i have to agree that he is a bit of a luxury player.

He does need that extra touch on the ball and when we are playing with Roy's tactics and unless we started to play possession football again he would be pointless.

Needs an extra touch? have you seen him play at all?

Apparently Juventus will look to make the deal permanent in January. Basically, the deal we have in place now is we have a €16m fee agreed as part of the deal, but that's paid in three yearly installments (€6m in summer of 2011, then €5m in 2012 and 2013). However, Juve may be willing to do a deal of around €13m in January, but we'd receive the full free up front.