You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How Do We Persuade Torres and Gerrard To Stay?

Guest LFD

Tipping point for a lot of fans.

We lose vital players - no money in the kitty - and a 'no not him ffs' manager coming in - no progress being shown.

Nothing to do with falling out of love with LFC - but what the football industry is today.

It will make a lot stop and think.

Lions lead by donkeys - big time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian garro

I thought one of the biggest reasons for Gerrard and Torres looking to get away, was the manager, and his "baffling tactics", "defensive attitude" and, my favourite, his "coldness" ? Surely now he's gone, they'll be absolutely made up to stay here for ever and ever ? "We're still Liverpool, after all" ?

Or was that just a load of bollocks then ?

I will write them a poem

I like this idea.

Please share it with the board when you have finished it.

Also, to help you on the way, I have just realised that "Stevie" rhymes with "Leavey", so I hop you can use that gift in the finished opus.

(I was thinking something along the lines of:

I love you Stevie,

so please don't leavey

but I will leave it up to you)

just hope people who wanted Rafa out are happy that the one man that can veto sales has now gone

What gives you the impression he could veto sales? I find that incredibly unlikely. Why would any club give the manager more power than the executive?

How do you square it with the stories that they were definitely going to leave if he stayed? The stories everyone believes depend on their agenda.

It's likely just press nonsense like the £16M clause and pretty much everything else that gets published about LFC. There's so much crap flying around that it all contradicts itself.

We're completely awash with propaganda. It's an information war, and the main casualty is our club.

I agree that a title challenge can be mounted. The key of course being to keep Masch, Torres, Benayoun and Gerrard and to hope they find some form. Aquilani should contribute more this season. Maxi should also find his feet. Hopefully Johnson will find some of his early season form. That of course is alot of hope. Jonvanovic will give us an option for the left and up front.

Sell Babel, Kuyt, the Greek and Riera. This should raise around £20m. If we believe what Maddock says (£15m available) that would give us £35m which would allow us to go for Kjaer to help tighten up the defence and Turan to give us an attacking edge. This would of course eat up almost £30m, so there would be alot left over for a left back and a back up striker.

Would anyone give Babel one last chance to develop under a better manager?

I know I'm in dream zone but the removal of Benitez does give us the strong hope of a stronger team dynamic emerging. Afterall we are only three players short (four now Aurelio gone) of the team that took United to the wire in 2008-2009.

I agree.

What gives you the impression he could veto sales? I find that incredibly unlikely. Why would any club give the manager more power than the executive?

How do you square it with the stories that they were definitely going to leave if he stayed? The stories everyone believes depend on their agenda.

It's likely just press nonsense like the £16M clause and pretty much everything else that gets published about LFC. There's so much crap flying around that it all contradicts itself.

We're completely awash with propaganda. It's an information war, and the main casualty is our club.

Isn't it widely accepted that Rafa had complete control on transfers? This is something the anti-rafa brigade regularly used as a stick to beat him with. Surely that would also mean he could veto sales.

I'm of the belief that the stories of them staying if he went are properganda from our lovely CEO ( only my opinion ) There has been counter stories that the dressing room was much like any other

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC braced for more departures - Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano set to follow Rafael Benitez

sorry if posted earlier/elsewhere - just hope people who wanted Rafa out are happy that the one man that can veto sales has now gone

They'd be going regardless. It's the state of the club and it's ability to compete and progress that has them wanting to leave.

I am not convinced Gerrard is definitely going. He wants to win the title with Liverpool more than anything. He just seemed totally fed up with Rafa, judging by his body language and performances.

I think a new manager, a couple of new players and I am hopeful he will stay.

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC braced for more departures - Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano set to follow Rafael Benitez

sorry if posted earlier/elsewhere - just hope people who wanted Rafa out are happy that the one man that can veto sales has now gone[/quote

Why are you ignoring the fact that Torres and Gerrard were probably more likely to go if Benitez had stayed?

I like this idea.

Please share it with the board when you have finished it.

Also, to help you on the way, I have just realised that "Stevie" rhymes with "Leavey", so I hop you can use that gift in the finished opus.

(I was thinking something along the lines of:

I love you Stevie,

so please don't leavey

but I will leave it up to you)

For it would make me grievey.

Why are you ignoring the fact that Torres and Gerrard were probably more likely to go if Benitez had stayed?

I think you might be right, however surely the board should also have said right, are we better with;

Hodgson and O'Neil and no Torres or Gerrard or Rafa and no Torres and Gerrard?

I think that is also what people haven't queried.

Guest TK-421

Lucas don't depart

To break my heart

Phil Taylor throws dart

Art

*glances wistfully towards the sky while wearing a cardigan*

Isn't it widely accepted that Rafa had complete control on transfers?

Is it? Where's your source for it? What does it mean exactly? Are you saying that if someone had make a £90M bid for Dirk Kuyt that Rafa could tell the board they aren't selling him? I reckon that's nonsense.

This is something the anti-rafa brigade regularly used as a stick to beat him with. Surely that would also mean he could veto sales.

Do you want me to defend someone elses point of view? I'm not sure where to start with it.

I'm of the belief that the stories of them staying if he went are properganda from our lovely CEO ( only my opinion ) There has been counter stories that the dressing room was much like any other

There's propaganda up to our ears fella. We're drowning in it. Do you think it only comes from one direction? Like I said, people believe what their agenda tells them to. Better to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Here's one you may or may not want to believe for instance:

Hicks said: "That was in the media but it was never really true.

"I sat down with Rafa a couple of months ago and he made it very clear that he knows a manager can't have control over transfer budget.

"He has had his frustrations over the last five years and those are well chronicled but he will make the recommendations about which players we sign and the new CEO, the owners and the board will make the final financial commitment. And that is the way it needs to be."

“I did not have to make any promises. We have a budget each year he has to work to.”

[sauce]