You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election Night

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I would go into league with the devil himself if it gave us electoral reform.

Well, that's got to be one of the major barriers to a Con/Lib alliance, surely? Did you hear Ken Clarke on the subject last night?

Greens gain Brighton Pavilion, as someone alluded to earlier in the thread.

Aye, I'm pleased for them. They've worked really hard down here. Nice to see a breakthrough, although it will be tough for them to win anymore anywhere else.

That and one of the councillors is fit.

Aye, I'm pleased for them. They've worked really hard down here. Nice to see a breakthrough, although it will be tough for them to win anymore anywhere else.

Yes, one would suspect the appetite for Maoism is somewhat lessened outside the lunatic surroundings of Brighton.

From the looks of posts on here Sky News have gone all Fox News calling results too early for their favourite boys in blue.

If the BBC current predictions are correct we could be left in a position where no coalition has an overall majority. There is something hugely amusing about the fact that the country would be parked in neutral until we could have another election.

As for Cameron, with all the dissatisfaction in the country he was pushing at an open door to get a majority. And it seems like he's broken his wrist.

Yes, one would suspect the appetite for Maoism is somewhat lessened outside the lunatic surroundings of Brighton.

Ooooh! Someone is feeling sore today.

I was disappointed in Sefton Central result for your family. Can't stand Debi Jones and it look liked the Labour vote had collapsed after shifting some of the poorer wards back to Bootle.

I really can't get my head around why people would vote for these twats, I really can't, the country has simply gone insane.

Self serving cunts mate. Its all about what's in it for 'me'. There's little sense of social justice anymore. Just moving the ladder away to protect what you've got, or to take from someone else.

The selfishness of most doesn't surprise me, it just deeply saddens me.

The most important electoral reform is full independance for Scotland.

It is absurd that they have their own Parliament but also get to vote in our affairs.

It is especially problematic when the 2 countries voting patterns are so completely different.

Ooooh! Someone is feeling sore today.

Yeah, I'm fucked off. My party offers the best solutions to the problems this country faces but the electoral system is so biased against us we need 5 times as many votes to elect one MP as the other parties do.

I was disappointed in Sefton Central result for your family. Can't stand Debi Jones and it look liked the Labour vote had collapsed after shifting some of the poorer wards back to Bootle.

Debi Jones is vile and useless, I am made up she didn't win.

I did some knocking up in Sefton Central on polling day. So many people voted Lib Dem locally (because, to put it bluntly, we are the only fuckers who do a thing around there) but Labour nationally, because they didn't think we could win.

Yes, of course we won't win when you're voting for a Labour candidate parachuted in from Kent over a local Lib Dem who has worked his bollocks off for three years!

Sometimes I just want to punch people in the face.

Yeah, I'm fucked off. My party offers the best solutions to the problems this country faces but the electoral system is so biased against us we need 5 times as many votes to elect one MP as the other parties do.

Just goes to show how many people in this country are scared, panicky, reactive twats.

why, how does your system work?

is it not similar to ours in Ireland?

It is absurd that they have their own Parliament but also get to vote in our affairs.

It is especially problematic when the 2 countries voting patterns are so completely different.

Will the tories see it that way? If they do, they could pull off a masterstroke. Are too many of them unionists at heart? With the nationalists they would have a worki8ng majority. Will they do it?

Scotland will have an independence referendum within a couple of years if the tories form the government in Westminster. Wether or not it goes through is another question. They have no mandate to govern up here and this will strengthen the SNP. IMO

Will the tories see it that way? If they do, they could pull off a masterstroke. Are too many of them unionists at heart? With the nationalists they would have a worki8ng majority. Will they do it?

Just found a quote from the SNP leader & it is bang on:

Mr Salmond said: "The story that is emerging is the astonishing political divergence north and south of the Border – and once we have had time to look at the results that is going to be what matters."

The SNP leader, speaking at the election count in Aberdeen, said: "South of the Border the Tories are making substantial gains from the Labour Party. North of the Border the Tory vote is doing nothing whatsoever – even going down from its already very depressed condition. And that is going to be probably the dominant issue in Scottish politics and one of the key issues in UK politics in the aftermath of the election."

Either Scotland gets a Tory govt. where they got 17% of the vote OR England get 5 more years of a Labour govt. who came third in its polling.

Neither is democratically acceptable.

That's what I think will happen, with Brown stepping down of course.

Even if the Libs and Labs get together thay won't have enough.

We will be held hostage by N Ireland and the odd green and loony.

When the country is in the shit this is the worst possible outcome.

Scotland will have an independence referendum within a couple of years if the tories form the government in Westminster. Wether or not it goes through is another question. They have no mandate to govern up here and this will strengthen the SNP. IMO

Yes completely agree.

Equally there is no madate for Labour in England when it is polling low 20's & coming 3rd.

With the 2 countries having such a differing fundamental view on basic underlying political philosophies full independance is the only answer.

It would also rather neatly solve all the glib "Fuck that, i'm going to emigrate" comments that you get from BOTH sides as we share a common language, movement between them is so easy & the underlying politics so different, enabling easy choices if anyone is so concerned.

LAB/LIB/Dregs coalition then?

Best possible result IMO

R5 claiming forecast combined Labour & Libs seats will not be enough to form a Government.

Hung Parliament, furious media, country heading for chaos.

Where’s Batman when you need him?

Self serving cunts mate. Its all about what's in it for 'me'. There's little sense of social justice anymore. Just moving the ladder away to protect what you've got, or to take from someone else.

The selfishness of most doesn't surprise me, it just deeply saddens me.

I can't get away from the feeling that people have been itching to vote Conservative for the past 13 years! I think Labour (this will also apply to the Lib Dems) has to simply do okay to be voted out, whereas the Tories have to almost destory the country!

LAB/LIB/Dregs coalition then?

Best possible result IMO

That's it really, whomever wins though isn't going to have a mandate for change, it really says a lot about the Conservatives that even now they can't be elected with a mandate. A majority of 140+ is a mandate for change, a minority government is a 'if we have to'.

How many votes are the Welsh Plaid Cumonyou? A

Yes completely agree.

Equally there is no madate for Labour in England when it is polling low 20's & coming 3rd.

With the 2 countries having such a differing fundamental view on basic underlying political philosophies full independance is the only answer.

It would also rather neatly solve all the glib "Fuck that, i'm going to emigrate" comments that you get from BOTH sides as we share a common language & movement between them is so easy & the underlying politics so different, enabling easy choices.

How any referendum will work baffles me though. I am English living up here. Will I get to vote. My wife and kids are Scottish.