You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hughes finished at City?

Captain

You're doing that not making sense thing again, Phoenix my boy. You're like the Tasmanian devil, a whirling dervish of random thoughts, sentences and images.

Haha, I think it's because I'd just got out of bed, would've probably noticed something so obvious if I'd have been more awake.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if this has been researched, but i wouldn't be surprised if hicks and gillet negotiated a deal with rafa much like in the states where a coach is fired and then get paid yearly like players do, but for the life of the contract so i don't think it would be 20 million up front but staggered over 5 years.

also, here in the states alot of these contracts have stipulations that if a coach takes a new job with another team, they then forfeit their right to collect any money from the team that sacked them.

not saying that's what the contract is but it wouldn't surprise me if rafa got a lump sum and then the rest was contingent on if he stayed unemployed.

i don't know if this has been researched, but i wouldn't be surprised if hicks and gillet negotiated a deal with rafa much like in the states where a coach is fired and then get paid yearly like players do, but for the life of the contract so i don't think it would be 20 million up front but staggered over 5 years.

also, here in the states alot of these contracts have stipulations that if a coach takes a new job with another team, they then forfeit their right to collect any money from the team that sacked them.

not saying that's what the contract is but it wouldn't surprise me if rafa got a lump sum and then the rest was contingent on if he stayed unemployed.

I think that's what happened with us and Houllier, who incidently took the Lyon job the very day after we no longer had to pay him.

I think that's what happened with us and Houllier, who incidently took the Lyon job the very day after we no longer had to pay him.

It cost us 10m to get rid of him and his backroom staff did it not? Given the size of the backroom staff now and wage inflation in general, I'd imagine that number would be dwarfed.

You think he would stay out of the game for a few years? This is not a lump sum under any circumstances.

Well. That makes it ok then. Saying that, lets buy a top class player for about £40 Million. We'll think up a payment structure that suits us.

We can't even afford £30 Million a year interest payments on the loan. So even if we give Rafa £1 Million a year over 20 years we still can't afford that.

So whatever way you look at it, sacking him is not financially viable in any way.

I`m far from thick thanks!

I want Rafa out and preferably yesterday. And at this stage I`m not to fussed who replaces him. In the short term it would be nigh on impossible for anyone else to do worse.

I just don't understand this. I can understand people wanting rafa gone, but to not care who comes in is just a bit mental really.

I just don't understand this. I can understand people wanting rafa gone, but to not care who comes in is just a bit mental really.

I was thinking the same when I read that post as well.. There are a load of managers out there that could do a hell of a lot worse.. IF and WHEN we replace Rafa, I want it to be the right appointment that moves the club forward, not just some fucker like Joe Kinnear...

I honestly don`t think anyone could do any worse at present. We need to arrest this slide urgently and I`m pretty sure we`ll appoint someone worthwhile anyway.

Hiddink, Mourinho, Capello or Rikaard would suit me fine. It`s not as if I personally get to pick the manager and I`m going to hire some tramp off the street.

I honestly don`t think anyone could do any worse at present. We need to arrest this slide urgently and I`m pretty sure we`ll appoint someone worthwhile anyway.

Hiddink, Mourinho, Capello or Rikaard would suit me fine. It`s not as if I personally get to pick the manager and I`m going to hire some tramp off the street.

I haven't had the time to come on here recently. Finally, I get back on, looking forward to some good football discussion, read this dude's posts and immediately want to log off. What a completely clueless crumb.

Liverpool upset by Cook’s claim of Mancini approach | Liverpool - Times Online

Liverpool upset by Cook’s claim of Mancini approach

Tony Barrett

Garry Cook, the chief executive of Manchester City, has sparked fury at Anfield by claiming that Liverpool approached Roberto Mancini with a view to the Italian replacing Rafael Benítez as manager.

Cook’s latest controversial comments have landed him in hot water with the Liverpool hierarchy, who have refused to comment. Privately, they have not been impressed by Cook’s outburst and are likely to regard it as a smokescreen after the sacking of Mark Hughes and subsequent appointment of Mancini as City manager.

T

he City chief executive was criticised after he claimed that Mancini had not been offered the job until last Thursday but it had emerged that the decision to replace Hughes had been taken three weeks ago.

In an attempt to explain his actions, Cook shifted the attention on to Liverpool, using their approach to Jürgen Klinsmann as a potential replacement for Benítez two years ago as evidence that clubs often have managerial successors lined up before the incumbent has been dismissed. “It is naive to think that clubs are not looking at their options,” Cook said. “Of course they are. Do we think that Liverpool just talked to Klinsmann? I am sure they also spoke to others, and I have no doubt that Roberto Mancini was one of them. Of course he would have been.”

Shortly after talks were held with Klinsmann, in November 2007, Tom Hicks, the Liverpool co-owner, confessed that an approach had been made to the German but said it was only as a contingency in case Benítez left the club to join Real Madrid.

At the time, Liverpool were not linked with any other manager nor was there any evidence that they had launched a recruitment offensive, with agents employed to sound out potential successors to the Spaniard.

Benítez will also see Cook’s comments as an unnecessary distraction as he attempts to reinvigorate Liverpool’s flagging fortunes. However, one issue that he believes will right itself is the form of Steven Gerrard, which Benítez insists will improve as his captain’s fitness levels increase, enabling him to play and train more regularly.

“He knows that he needs to improve but that in itself is very positive for me because it shows that he realises he is an important player for us,” Benítez said.

“He was doing much better, we were analysing his data and this was very clear. In the last game [against Portsmouth] he wasn’t at the same level, but this can sometimes happen and he knows that he is improving physically and this is the main thing for his confidence.

“We have a lot of conversations, not just with Stevie, but with a lot of players. They want to improve and sometimes that can be a problem because they can try to too hard and that makes it more difficult.

“If you analyse our team, people always talk about Gerrard and [Fernando] Torres. They are very important for us and they would be for any team. They have to be good because this means the rest of the team will be better and if they don’t play at the level they can, it can affect the team.

“Steven is a very good player and because the fans have seen him play very well they expect him to play at the same level, but it’s not easy when you’re not training with the team. If he has no [injury] problems, I am sure he will be better.”

Liverpool upset by Cook’s claim of Mancini approach | Liverpool - Times Online

Liverpool upset by Cook’s claim of Mancini approach

Tony Barrett

Garry Cook, the chief executive of Manchester City, has sparked fury at Anfield by claiming that Liverpool approached Roberto Mancini with a view to the Italian replacing Rafael Benítez as manager.

Cook’s latest controversial comments have landed him in hot water with the Liverpool hierarchy, who have refused to comment. Privately, they have not been impressed by Cook’s outburst and are likely to regard it as a smokescreen after the sacking of Mark Hughes and subsequent appointment of Mancini as City manager.

T

he City chief executive was criticised after he claimed that Mancini had not been offered the job until last Thursday but it had emerged that the decision to replace Hughes had been taken three weeks ago.

In an attempt to explain his actions, Cook shifted the attention on to Liverpool, using their approach to Jürgen Klinsmann as a potential replacement for Benítez two years ago as evidence that clubs often have managerial successors lined up before the incumbent has been dismissed. “It is naive to think that clubs are not looking at their options,” Cook said. “Of course they are. Do we think that Liverpool just talked to Klinsmann? I am sure they also spoke to others, and I have no doubt that Roberto Mancini was one of them. Of course he would have been.”

Shortly after talks were held with Klinsmann, in November 2007, Tom Hicks, the Liverpool co-owner, confessed that an approach had been made to the German but said it was only as a contingency in case Benítez left the club to join Real Madrid.

At the time, Liverpool were not linked with any other manager nor was there any evidence that they had launched a recruitment offensive, with agents employed to sound out potential successors to the Spaniard.

Benítez will also see Cook’s comments as an unnecessary distraction as he attempts to reinvigorate Liverpool’s flagging fortunes. However, one issue that he believes will right itself is the form of Steven Gerrard, which Benítez insists will improve as his captain’s fitness levels increase, enabling him to play and train more regularly.

“He knows that he needs to improve but that in itself is very positive for me because it shows that he realises he is an important player for us,” Benítez said.

“He was doing much better, we were analysing his data and this was very clear. In the last game [against Portsmouth] he wasn’t at the same level, but this can sometimes happen and he knows that he is improving physically and this is the main thing for his confidence.

“We have a lot of conversations, not just with Stevie, but with a lot of players. They want to improve and sometimes that can be a problem because they can try to too hard and that makes it more difficult.

“If you analyse our team, people always talk about Gerrard and [Fernando] Torres. They are very important for us and they would be for any team. They have to be good because this means the rest of the team will be better and if they don’t play at the level they can, it can affect the team.

“Steven is a very good player and because the fans have seen him play very well they expect him to play at the same level, but it’s not easy when you’re not training with the team. If he has no [injury] problems, I am sure he will be better.”

That's a disgrace.

Man City are rapidly shooting up the hate list and I hope the cunts do fuck all.

There hasn't been much about the reason for Hughes' sacking. It certainly isn't failure to reach targets, because the season's not over and City are well placed, in fact very well placed. No. In my view it's a power play between Cook and Hughes, and Cook won, at least for now. There was not one word of praise or thanks for Hughes' achievements; that's classless! Cook was trying hard not to glory in his "victory", and from the behavior of Mancini, he's got himself an italian poodle!

Poor Citeh! Serves 'em right!

He's a piece of work that fucking Cook.

I remember when he accused A.C Milan of bottling it over Kaka.

Yeah, Garry. That'll be seven times European Champions and one of the biggest clubs in the world bottling a deal involving Man City. Nothing to do with your absolute fucking ineptitude during negotiations with the player and his advisors.

Twat.

He's a piece of work that fucking Cook.

I remember when he accused A.C Milan of bottling it over Kaka.

Yeah, Garry. That'll be seven times European Champions and one of the biggest clubs in the world bottling a deal involving Man City. Nothing to do with your absolute fucking ineptitude during negotiations with the player and his advisors.

Twat.

capo.png

Cook? Cook's a pimp.