You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our First XI compared to other teams

Jens

Reina

Johnson-Carragher-Agger-Aurelio

Mascherano-Aquilani

Kuyt-Gerrard-Riera

Torres

Very well balanced and exciting IMO. How many sides have a better starting eleven when fit and in form? Barcelona, Real Madrid and maybe Chelsea according to me.

Lay off Rafa until his best team fails to perform.

Reina

Mascherano-Aquilani

Kuyt-Gerrard-Riera

Torres

Very well balanced and exciting IMO. How many sides have a better starting eleven when fit and in form? Barcelona, Real Madrid and maybe Chelsea according to me.

That team would be a match for any in Europe the problem is that while we wait for them all to be fit at the same time this season is going down the pan.

If we could learn to defend again it would be helpful.

Guest PurpleNose

Reina

Johnson Carragher Agger Aurelio

Mascherano

Benayoun Aquilani Riera

Gerrard

Torres

Top 5 in Europe.

Cavalieri

Degen Skrtel Krygiakos Insua

Kuyt Lucas Spearing Dossena

N'Gog Babel

Bottom 5 in the Premier League.

Reina

Johnson Carragher Agger Aurelio

Mascherano

Benayoun Aquilani Riera

Gerrard

Torres

Top 5 in Europe.

Cavalieri

Degen Skrtel Krygiakos Insua

Kuyt Lucas Spearing Dossena

N'Gog Babel

Bottom 5 in the Premier League.

We need to get rid of some players, but until Rafa thinks some of the youngsters are ready to step it up we simply can´t.

Degen and Voronin will in time be fucked off and replaced with Kelly and Pacheco, I´m pretty sure about that. That will make us stronger without spending a nickle.

If all those players are at their best, that could be a decent team (Riera out for Yossi). However, Masch isn't at his best, Carra isn't at his best, Torres, Gerrard, Agger AND Aurelio are always injured. I'd be mazed if we ever see the potential that that has group of players has... So, no, only in cloud cuckoo land is that the third best first XI in Europe

you can debate this argument to death but the fact is no club anywhere plays their 'best starting XI' week in week out, fit or not. its not 1980 anymore.

its a squad game, and overall our squad has deteriorated over the last few years since Rafa's given in to everyones demands and started spending the big money on big first team players instead of bulking up on £6million 'squad' players.

Reina

Mascherano-Aquilani

Kuyt-Gerrard-Riera

Torres

Oh dear, another 'our best is better than anyone elses.'

When will people learn?

It isnt just a question of having 'the best' first choice 11. Its how often will that 11 play together and if they dont, how good is our second or even 3rd best 11 compared to others.

That's why we are in the shit. Our best 11 doesnt play together that often and our 2nd or 3rd choice 11 is on a par with the likes of a 7th placed team.

Reina

Mascherano-Aquilani

Kuyt-Gerrard-Riera

Torres

Our main problem is still the lack depth, which even without injuries isn't too strong. I say we should replace Kuyt (he would be excellent backup) with a decent right winger, but his spot in the lineup could be defended by two factors; He seem to play alot better when carried by other players, and not having to be a creative force. Also his defensive support and work rate could prove cruicial with Johnson always leaving space behind him.

I can't look away from our complete lack of pace and aerial ability in the backline either.

But as far as that goes, we still have strong first team, maybe only matched by the mancs, Chelsea and Arsenal.I for one can't wait to see this lineup from start, if we will ever :whistle:

Edited by theexx

Pointless argument since we are never going to have a fully fit 11 this season. At some point, Agger, Aurelio, Gerrard and Torres will always be injured. We are not going to see our best team play week in, week out this season so we might as well stop saying things will get better when we have all our best players back. It's not going to happen.

Instead we should have had good cover to call upon but Rafa fucked that up by signing average to shite players as back ups. His fault, nobody else.