You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Match Thread (17th October 2009)

Herp McDerp

Whatever your personal views on which competition is more important (& i'd always take the CL), it isn't even a discussion given our financial state.

Lyon is effectively a home/away for £10m.

Any doubt on a key player's fitness & he needs to rest to ensure he can play against the French.

The league is far more important to the fans and they turn on you it wont matter how much you earn from the CL. I'm a fan with no pretentions of being an accountent and i know which one i want to see us win. Also, the longer we go without winning anything the more our fan base is likely to dwindle and i think the league is a far better bet than the CL this year.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be the match that shows up how painfully thin our squad is this season.

Bent and Jones are one of the best attacking strikeforces in the league this year and miles better than anything we've got bar Torres.

Even if Gerrard,Torres and kuyt play they will only be half fit and not good enough for a tough game like this one.

We have a pretty decent away record the last seasons against Sunderland, so usually this would be a game I would consider as one of the easy ones.

This seasons I`m not so sure though, like someone mentioned before, Bruce seems to have the edge over Rafa and his teams always performs against us.

We have injuries to important players, we are underperforming every time we are up against a half decent team and Sunderland have got a promising start this season when they finally have got some quality up front.

Results Sunderland away:

2008-08-16 Sunderland - Liverpool 0-1

2007-08-25 Sunderland - Liverpool 0-2

2005-11-30 Sunderland - Liverpool 0-2

2002-12-15 Sunderland - Liverpool 2-1

2002-04-13 Sunderland - Liverpool 0-1

2001-02-10 Sunderland - Liverpool 1-1

1999-11-20 Sunderland - Liverpool 0-2

1997-04-13 Sunderland - Liverpool 1-2

Overall: 8 1 1 6 4-12 19 points

Stop being a bunch of doom-mongering fannies!

-------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Skrtel--Aurelio

Benayoun--Gerrard--Mascherano--Riera

---------Torres--Babel

I'd go with that. Something a bit different with Babel up front but I think he's been much better in the last few games and possibly deserves a chance.

Torres and Gerrard will be fine, IMO.

Stop being a bunch of doom-mongering fannies!

-------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Skrtel--Aurelio

Benayoun--Gerrard--Mascherano--Riera

---------Torres--Babel

I'd go with that. Something a bit different with Babel up front but I think he's been much better in the last few games and possibly deserves a chance.

Torres and Gerrard will be fine, IMO.

Thats the fucking spirit, this lot are fucking shit.

---------------------Reina-----------------------

Degen-----Carragher------Skrtel---------Dossena

------------Lucas---------Plessis----------------

Babel---------------Benayoun--------------Riera

---------------------Voronin---------------------

*Vomits*

---------------------Reina-----------------------

Degen-----Carragher------Skrtel---------Dossena

------------Lucas---------Plessis----------------

Babel---------------Benayoun--------------Riera

---------------------Voronin---------------------

*Vomits*

Eh? Johnson, Insua, Mascherano and Kuyt are not injured you know?

------------------Reina-----------------

Johnson---Skrtel---Carragher------Aurelio

----------Lucas---Mascherano----------

Kuyt-----------Benayoun-----------Riera

----------------Babel-------------------

It would be a big ask for Agger to play his third game in a week so soon after coming back from injury so for that reason I'd leave him out.

If either Lucas or Mascherano can't play I'd give Spearing a go but they both should be fine. I'd give Babel a go up top and keep Kuyt down the right.

Aurelio over Insua at left back, mainly because our chances of scoring from a set piece improve by 124.82% when he's on the pitch.

Time for certain players to step up and take responsibility.

Sunderland 0 L 2.