You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez faces FA rap for Phil Dowd outburst - Liverpool FC latest

Aug 19 2009 Liverpool Echo

Add a commentRecommend LIVERPOOL boss Rafael Benitez could be in trouble with the FA for his outburst against referee Phil Dowd following Sunday’s 2-1 defeat at Tottenham.

The FA’s compliance department will write to the Reds boss for an explanation following his comment about Dowd when asked after the game whether he would expect to get two penalties as an away team.

Benitez is reported as saying: “No, with this referee I knew that was impossible.”

The FA are also concerned with Benitez’s attempts at humour when asked about two penalty decisions that went against Liverpool in the final minutes.

In the post-match press conference, Benitez had theatrically taken a glasses case out of his inside pocket, taken out the glasses and looked through them before putting them away again.

Assistant boss Sammy Lee was sent off by Dowd after the coach had been involved in a row with the fourth official.

It is believed that the FA are not prepared to quiz Benitez further on his suggestions that 26-year-old Stuart Attwell was too young to officiate at Premier League level.

It is also understood that the FA do not intend to issue Benitez with a severe punishment if they do feel he has over-stepped the mark.

Fine. If the FA do decide to punish Rafa then this should be the yardstick that all other managers should be judged by, and the rules applied accordingly. But I have a feeling that this will be the same as last time, the "respect campaign will begin and end with punishing Liverpool.

funny how the respect campaign only seems to extend as far as us

first time round Masch was the only one to get done, this time its Rafa

regardless of the rights and wrongs of Rafa's actions, why dont other managers get pulled up on this sort of thing?

Did Ferguson get doen for his outburst in teh Charity Shield?

Nope. Brushed under the carpet by the FA and the media.

How many times was the ref surrounded by rabid mancs? at one point he had to physically push a couple of them away.

And the hardshoulder shitter storming onto the pitch to have a go at the ref

Two sets of rules - one for them, one for the rest.

• 2 years later...

This 'Respect Campaign' is something that will always fucking piss me off. Mascherano questions the ref, gets sent off and gets a ban and the mancs do it very fucking weekend.

Ferguson 'over steps the mark' everytime there is a decision against his team.

Cunts.

That's my point. I was on holidays watching that match and it fucking ruined my entire two weeks. The FA are fucking corrupt mugs.

Is correct!

As a matter of fact I'd rather have UEFA or FIFA running the PL, and that's as damning as it can get...