You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

0-0's have been our problem but i think conceding less would have helped in a few games too like hull and wigan but you will always concede and it is a bit risky relying on your defence all the time as we have done that in the past as in kept it at 0-0 battering away and then concede a sucker punch. There is no reason why we shouldn't just outscore teams and we need a couple more players to do that when gerrard and torres are not on form or are out

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we've got the best attack in the league, should we not be thinking about conceeding less?!

Only Chelsea have conceded less! But I know where you are coming from. A more commanding CH would be nice one that could get a few at the other end as well.

i think this is a difficult one, and the subject of a long discussion that i had with mates in the immediate aftermath of the chelsea 2nd leg.

We wont attract a top striker of Torres' class unless we can offer him a genuine first team place when you pick your strongest XI. We cannot do that without disrupting a team that works and moving Gerrard from the position that has got him playing well enough to be debated as the best player in the world.

So in light of that, should we sign someone who will sit on the bench happy to try and prove themselves and be back up? I'm not sure that is an option, unless you go for youth, and youth that is good enough to drop in rather than an untried or really unheard of player such as Ngog, is very expensive as has been proven with the likes of Aguero, Walcott, Nani, Ronaldo etc.

So other than that, the options are an older pro, after his chance to play at a top club, either for the first or the last time, which can easily turn into shevchenko picking up a huge salary in the end.

The only top class strikers i can think of that have been happy to sit on the bench either grew up at the club, suffered injuries at the club (solskjaer) and were just happy to be playing any part at a club they loved, or other than that Tevez who just has an expectional attitude.

So, the solution for me, is to provide a genuine world class player for the right hand side, a John Barnes of a winger, who tears teams apart and gives us genuine skill and threat from out wide. You can argue that perhaps the left hand side would be equally useful, but the reason i judge the right as more important is Dirk.

If you sign John Barnes Jnr on the left, you still have the problem of a second striker, and effectively have to buy two players, as Babel has proven he cannot cut it here (or doesnt want to), and none of the other options can play up front. Buy him for the right and Drik plays when there when we need the defensive solidity and workrate he offers us against a really good side with top attacking players on the left hand side. Otherwise, he fills in as a striker up front if Torres is injured or needs resting.

We all recognise that Dirk isnt a good enough striker to replace Torres, but with genuine threat from the right flank in Barnes Jnr, and with support from Gerrard, there is not as much focus on him to score all the goals, and he will inevitably chip in with his share.

It is difficult for me purely because i dont know who John Barnes Jnr is. Is there a player available, at a price we can afford, who can genuinely offer us that threat, in 9 out of 10 games, rather than 3 or 4 out of 10?

To me, if that player exists, we should put every penny we have into that boat, and by signing one, i think we add to the team a great deal more than signing 3 or 4 good players in other positions.

i think this is a difficult one, and the subject of a long discussion that i had with mates in the immediate aftermath of the chelsea 2nd leg.

We wont attract a top striker of Torres' class unless we can offer him a genuine first team place when you pick your strongest XI. We cannot do that without disrupting a team that works and moving Gerrard from the position that has got him playing well enough to be debated as the best player in the world.

So in light of that, should we sign someone who will sit on the bench happy to try and prove themselves and be back up? I'm not sure that is an option, unless you go for youth, and youth that is good enough to drop in rather than an untried or really unheard of player such as Ngog, is very expensive as has been proven with the likes of Aguero, Walcott, Nani, Ronaldo etc.

So other than that, the options are an older pro, after his chance to play at a top club, either for the first or the last time, which can easily turn into shevchenko picking up a huge salary in the end.

The only top class strikers i can think of that have been happy to sit on the bench either grew up at the club, suffered injuries at the club (solskjaer) and were just happy to be playing any part at a club they loved, or other than that Tevez who just has an expectional attitude.

So, the solution for me, is to provide a genuine world class player for the right hand side, a John Barnes of a winger, who tears teams apart and gives us genuine skill and threat from out wide. You can argue that perhaps the left hand side would be equally useful, but the reason i judge the right as more important is Dirk.

If you sign John Barnes Jnr on the left, you still have the problem of a second striker, and effectively have to buy two players, as Babel has proven he cannot cut it here (or doesnt want to), and none of the other options can play up front. Buy him for the right and Drik plays when there when we need the defensive solidity and workrate he offers us against a really good side with top attacking players on the left hand side. Otherwise, he fills in as a striker up front if Torres is injured or needs resting.

We all recognise that Dirk isnt a good enough striker to replace Torres, but with genuine threat from the right flank in Barnes Jnr, and with support from Gerrard, there is not as much focus on him to score all the goals, and he will inevitably chip in with his share.

It is difficult for me purely because i dont know who John Barnes Jnr is. Is there a player available, at a price we can afford, who can genuinely offer us that threat, in 9 out of 10 games, rather than 3 or 4 out of 10?

To me, if that player exists, we should put every penny we have into that boat, and by signing one, i think we add to the team a great deal more than signing 3 or 4 good players in other positions.

I cannot argue with any of that. Good post, Bob.

We simply aren't going to find someone who can be a top class forward and fill Torres' boots unless he can play wide. Dirk can lead the line but he needs to just stick forward and STAY forward. None of this dropping deep shit.

Problem with Kuba is that he is a £7m player, and won't hugely improve us.

He's direct, pacey, and technically gifted. What the fuck else do you want? A rocket ship attached to his arse and his right boot replaced with a howitzer?

He looks like the kind of player who would improve a lot playing with better players, and his pace would give us a real option on that right besides Dirk.

He's direct, pacey, and technically gifted. What the fuck else do you want? A rocket ship attached to his arse and his right boot replaced with a howitzer?

Ha ha.... I don't think he is top draw mate thats all (I don't think he is a category above Benayoun or Riera overall) - he isn't that quick either from what I have seen. I doubt any team would pay more than £8m for him.

Ha ha.... I don't think he is top draw mate thats all (I don't think he is a category above Benayoun or Riera overall) - he isn't that quick either from what I have seen. I doubt any team would pay more than £8m for him.

He seemed pretty quick from what I saw. His acceleration was quite good anyway, because he can beat players with his pace.

I'm pretty sure that Kuba wouldn't be the only purchase.

I suspect that Turan and Kuba would transform our side as it would add pace on both flanks when necessary.

Fuck... thinking about a fast player who can trap a fucking ball (Sorry Ryan, but you can't even handle to do that these days) and we would be a much better side.

Going off the bits I've seen of Kuba, he's quick enough over short distance, decent on the ball and two-footed. Looks fairly tough as well. Not a bad gamble at less than £7M, but the risk is he doesn't adapt or step his game up, then we've wasted another season.

It looks like Ribery is going to Barca, but if we had even the slightest sniff of him we should throw every penny we can muster at Bayern.

about a billion times better than pennant no?

To those of you who watch German football; who is better Kuba, Renato Augusto or Trochowski? If we bought either of those three and a left winger (eg Turan, di Maria, etc) would you sell Yossi or Reira (in addition to Babel)?

Renato Augusto is more likely to break into the 'top class' bracket, and is more silky, but I think he would be quite a bit more expensive. He is also not a winger. He can play out right or out left because he is two footed, but he likes to sit behind the striker/strikers. Think Yossi but better, IMO, and he would probably cost £15m or more.

Trochowski is good, but TINY. He's like 5'5" or something silly. He's a good dribbler and his shot is pretty powerful and whatnot... he scores goals but not exactly prolific, not a bad shout but I just get the feeling that he'll get killed by a clogger.

I'd take Renato if we needed someone to cut inside, but we need someone willing to beat a man to the outside and put a cross in...

I'd probably choose Turan and Kuba because they both play like players hungry to get better and achieve things. (from what I've seen anyway... I haven't seen too much of Turan and I've only recently started trying to watch more Bundesliga)

You say this

Problem with Kuba is that he is a £7m player, and won't hugely improve us.

but have recently said this

Absolute loads, I just think Wenger is a genius at spotting attacking talent usually for cheap. The hard part is making them even better and multiplying their price and he does that well too... hence why they are good examples of transfer coups.

You can't have it both ways.

id love to see walcott at anfield, did abit of scouting around some of the arsenal forums and supposedly he has a clause in his contract that would allow him to buy out the remaining one year in the summer for £1mil and apparently hes grown up a liverpool fan, keep are fingers crossed for wenger naffing off to madrid and we could be in with a shout. Also i know rafa likes to conduct his transfer dealings behind closed doors most of the time, but in this case would it not be desirable to state his intentions to bring the lad hear? im pretty much drooling at the thought of him coming for simply signing on fee and wages, would love to see wengers face