You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Arfa for me. He can play on the left, on the right or just behind the striker. He's got explosive pace, and is very good at taking players on.... He was excellent when Marseille played Liverpool, and he did very well for Lyon vs Man U. He has also played seven games for France now, which is quite impressive given his age. I think he'd do very well in the Premier League.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Arfa for me. He can play on the left, on the right or just behind the striker. He's got explosive pace, and is very good at taking players on.... He was excellent when Marseille played Liverpool, and he did very well for Lyon vs Man U. He has also played seven games for France now, which is quite impressive given his age. I think he'd do very well in the Premier League.

Fantastic shout, I wanted him last summer and he has the potential to be as good as Ronaldo - a real talent. Hatem Bemn Arfa would be a fabulous signing.

Whilst that's not a view I would ever dismiss Ian, I do think it's something of a trap that many Reds (very much including me) have fallen into. The fact is that Rafa has taken a squad that is exceptionally flawed in the context of The Manc and Chelsea ones to the brink of the title, utterly destroying those two sides along the way.

I know that's a very simplistic view, but if we carry on playing and winning like we have been doing for the last couple of months, I'm going to have to re-evaluate much of what I previously regarded as self-evident about what it takes to win the league in this country.

I'm talking strictly about individuals in this case, Paul. In my opinion, the likes of Ronaldo, Walcott et al are far superior to Kuyt, Riera, Babel etc and a player of their ilk would add a lot to our team.

I'm not sure what your point is in relation to what I posted. We are challenging this season, I don't dispute that, and it's fantastic to see. Just because of that fact though, it doesn't render previous weaknesses as no longer a concern. You could argue that our spine is so strong that it compensates for the relative lack of quality out wide, i.e. we are challenging because our spine is the best in the country.

Do we need a 'winger' - someone who'll stay wide, run at teams and put in cross after cross? Giving the side more width and as a result more space for Torres / Gerrard centrally to exploit.

Or do we need a Pires / Benayoun type player, someone who'll constantly look to cut inside playing one / two's and as a result is probably more of a goal threat?

Or does it not matter as long as we improve the quality / final product on the flanks?

Kuyt is a first-teamer no matter who Rafa gets in. Time to accept it now, before the heartbreak sets in after summer.

So basically we need a top class player to replace Riera, who is decent enough but reminds me far too much of Pennant at times.

Mr T. Rafa has ousted previous favourites like Crouch so he could do the same with Kuyt. I know he seems to have an unhealthy obsession with Kuyt but thats probably more to do with out lack of options on the right than any favourtism. Its been too long and both Rafa and Houllier have poor records generally in signing attacking players and it needs to be addressed.

The problem is there are no stand out candidates to fill the roles who:

a) We can Afford

b) Will be good enough

c) Will be worth what we'd have to pay

d) Will be an improvement

a) We can Afford

b) Will be good enough

you're right but if you think that will stop this thread you're sadly mistaken im afraid

Do we need a 'winger' - someone who'll stay wide, run at teams and put in cross after cross? Giving the side more width and as a result more space for Torres / Gerrard centrally to exploit.

Or do we need a Pires / Benayoun type player, someone who'll constantly look to cut inside playing one / two's and as a result is probably more of a goal threat?

Or does it not matter as long as we improve the quality / final product on the flanks?

The days of that type of winger are long gone, players that can only do that are too one-dimensional what you need is a combination of midfielder and full back that can accomplish all of those things. As you say a one-two can be just as effective as blistering pace, 27 stepovers, three body feints and a couple of Rabones.

I'm talking strictly about individuals in this case, Paul. In my opinion, the likes of Ronaldo, Walcott et al are far superior to Kuyt, Riera, Babel etc and a player of their ilk would add a lot to our team.

I'm not sure what your point is in relation to what I posted. We are challenging this season, I don't dispute that, and it's fantastic to see. Just because of that fact though, it doesn't render previous weaknesses as no longer a concern. You could argue that our spine is so strong that it compensates for the relative lack of quality out wide, i.e. we are challenging because our spine is the best in the country.

I think you are seriously underestimating the contribution of our wide players. Between the full backs and "wingers" they've contributed 27 goals and 24 assists. If one of them were on penalty duties a la Manure that'd be another 9 goals.

It's very obvious to me what our wide players lack in the quality of a Walcott or a Ronaldo they more than make up for with game intelligence, interplay, sheer bloody hardwork and a refusal to give up, ever.

a) We can Afford

b) Will be good enough

For that we'd have to look at Turan, Ben Arfa, Mata, etc.

They've all shown quality but not 'stepped up' and are young. They'd all be an improvement, as they are lower risk.

I was impressed with Ben Arfa when he came to Anfield and i can remember during the match he was defending a few yards outside his own box recieved the ball and beat a couple of players with pace and skill and Marseille were instantly on the attack.

He is more then willing to defend as the situation i mentioned in the last paragraph would suggest plus he can play either wing which is a massive bonus.

The negative side of him is he is a poser complete with pink boots but in all fairness so what as long as he is doing the business on the pitch then who cares what colour boots he is wearing.

Another question mark has been over his consistency but personally i just put that down to needing to work with better players and coaches much like Torres when he was at Madrid.

Turan is another good shout who again is blessed with pace and skill.

These are the kind of players we will be looking at as in quality players just waiting for that step up.

Can work as in Torres but also can backfire as in Babel.

Walcott and Ronaldo don't work hard then? I think people assume working hard = defending?

I think we attack and defend as a team.

We don't really have any luxury players who stand with their hands on their hips when we lose the ball. Right from Torres at the front, we're snapping at heels to win the ball back.

All the players seem to be in it together.

Even though we have stars, they don't seem to act it.

You look at the mancs and you see Ronaldo and Berbatov not giving 2 fucks about the team.

I can't see us signing someone who appears to be a total cock like Robben.

I can't see us signing someone who appears to be a total cock like Robben.

Totally forgetting Rafa signed Pennant, Bellamy and tried to get Lucas Neill.

Robben would be perfect for us I reckon, as much as I don't like him.

I hate him as well, but I agree.

Actually I think his injury record is more of a concern than his cunt-ness. If we are to splash 15-20 million pounds and massive wages on a player, I'd want significantly more than 20 league games a season from him.

In his Chelsea years Robben played 18, 28 and 21 league games a season, and for Real he had 21 last season and is on 21 this term (all according to Wikipedia).