You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hand writing.

melons

Yeah my handwriting is pretty awful and I have to write in capitals to make it neat enough. However my brothers is literally the same standard of a 7 year olds. It's truly dreadful. He was born the right time for PCs to save his ass.

i have to do a written essay, i have not done one of these since in school, anyway, its made me realise how awful my hand writing still is, i'm on my 6th page, unbelievably bored.

So GF your views, is legible hand writing on the decline?

Just out of interest - why do you have to do an essay in longhand? I thought everyone typed everything these days. Is someone going to do a handwriting analysis on you? If so, I think they say forward-slanting handwriting indicates you're very confident, but backward-slanting indicates you're, er, not confident. Or something like that.

Also, putting a little circle instead of a dot over the letter 'i' indicates that you are a page 3 girl.

Interesting that I saw this post. I am 40 and have terrible handwriting. I recently decided to change it and followed an online guide to writig in italics.

I am still practicing but it looks a bit better already...only been about 4 weeks.

I don't think it will ever look brilliant, but it is an improvement.

Mine's not too bad, although it can vary wildly in style depending on what i'm writing on and how close the thing i'm writing on is. This is especially at work where I don't really have a choice whether it's being done with a folder on my knees, stood up in someone's kitchen or on a desk.

Such is the difference that I once spent ten minutes in Court explaining that yes a witness statement was written by me and me only, in one continuous period with the same writing materials. Having shifted my postition, halfway through a statement, it looked as if someone else had taken over with a different pen. They were puzzled but I had to explain that the same as I've explained here.

It was trickier than had I had to explain someone falling down some stairs.

I thought all girls had lovely bubble handwriting?

All girls handwriting looks the same.

Mine is shit and has gotten worse. Previous broken bones, damaged nerves and severed arteries means that if I write more than about 1 page it feels like me hand is going to fall off.

Just out of interest - why do you have to do an essay in longhand? I thought everyone typed everything these days. Is someone going to do a handwriting analysis on you? If so, I think they say forward-slanting handwriting indicates you're very confident, but backward-slanting indicates you're, er, not confident. Or something like that.

Also, putting a little circle instead of a dot over the letter 'i' indicates that you are a page 3 girl.

On friday i got a letter inviting me to interview for my dream degree, it said, You must submit a piece of written referenced work before you attend your interview, this should be brought with you to the interview. I shat myself, not only is my hand writing crap, but so is my spelling, and i can type faster then i can write. So i typed the fucker up then wrote it out long hand. I double checked with my tutor on the course i'm on that this is what they meant. I get there today and all the other women had typed it. Gutted.

All through school I got called for my handwriting by teachers.

Reading our middle daughter's school books you'd see the comments alternate between "Good but I can hardly read it" and "Good but there's not enough work here". Basically they got good work every time, but they had to choose between readability and quantity. None of them seemed to grasp that to write neatly would take her ten times longer.

She's actually a very neat writer these days, although I don't think she actually does a lot of handwriting meaning she's more time to do it slowly.

Our youngest had her parent's evening last night. Teacher loves her work, loves her actual writing abilities, but says it's too hard to read what she's put most of the time. She wasn't complaining, to be fair, but it sounds like history repeating itself again to some extent.

Nowadays my handwriting is even worse because I sort of write in the way I type - hard to explain but I'm kind of looking for a backspace key as I write a word and get a letter in the wrong place.

Jim, I've had exactly the same disagreements with my kids' teachers for years. All of them have illegible handwriting. My eldest has been allowed extra time in his upcoming GCSEs (I think he gets an extra 10 minutes per hour), so I'm hoping he'll be able to get a bit extra down. My middle lad is being forced to do joined up writing because they get marked down in their SATs for printing. I think it's ludicrous, personally. The content should be the most important factor.

My youngest is in the process of being referred to a paediatrician by the school nurse because her handwriting is atrocious, but given that she only turned 5 last month I think it's a bit premature.

All through school I got called for my handwriting by teachers.

Reading our middle daughter's school books you'd see the comments alternate between "Good but I can hardly read it" and "Good but there's not enough work here". Basically they got good work every time, but they had to choose between readability and quantity. None of them seemed to grasp that to write neatly would take her ten times longer.

She's actually a very neat writer these days, although I don't think she actually does a lot of handwriting meaning she's more time to do it slowly.

Our youngest had her parent's evening last night. Teacher loves her work, loves her actual writing abilities, but says it's too hard to read what she's put most of the time. She wasn't complaining, to be fair, but it sounds like history repeating itself again to some extent.

Nowadays my handwriting is even worse because I sort of write in the way I type - hard to explain but I'm kind of looking for a backspace key as I write a word and get a letter in the wrong place.

Did you go to the same schools as me. I can relate to a lot of your experiences.

Handwriting for me is a really big issue. So much so that it effects my day to day life.

I can read and spell fine and I can write but my hand writing alters drastically depending on the situation.

If I'm at home and on my own and I'm not rushed its OK. Its when I'm around people who I know are going to read what I've written the problems start.

Now I just try and avoid situations where I know I'll be asked to write something, and do it when I get home when Ive got time and nobody looking over my shoulder.

My signature is a joke. The looks I get in the bank when I'm asked to sign something. Embarrassing doesn't come close.

Mine's not too bad, although it can vary wildly in style depending on what i'm writing on and how close the thing i'm writing on is. This is especially at work where I don't really have a choice whether it's being done with a folder on my knees, stood up in someone's kitchen or on a desk.

Such is the difference that I once spent ten minutes in Court explaining that yes a witness statement was written by me and me only, in one continuous period with the same writing materials. Having shifted my postition, halfway through a statement, it looked as if someone else had taken over with a different pen. They were puzzled but I had to explain that the same as I've explained here.

It was trickier than had I had to explain someone falling down some stairs.

Funny that. People who are obviously guilty of heinous criminal offences tend to have very poor judgement in many areas of their worthless lives. Spatial coordination being one of those areas.

I'm inclined to blame God, Darwin, and the scandalous inability of the judiciary to comprehend the legal concept of "Shit happens, Your Honour.".

Some people are just really clumsy when it comes to stairs. I haven't been the best myself since being stabbed in the leg.

Edited by stevebaby