You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What contract? No-one's offered him a contract? Should he just sign Benitez's beard?

There are different quotes. On the norwegian site it says: "I know he (Benitez) really wants me to extend my contract with Liverpool".

Was he not given a new deal a while back, but refused to sign it?

Put yourself in Agger's position. I'd not sign anything till I'd asked Benitez, "Have you got the balls to drop Carragher?", because if he hasn't Agger is one of three competing for one place and he is far too good a player to be on permanent bench duty.

I do believe there may be something here. I remember an interview first half of this season or end of last season, where Agger hinted that it should not just be him and Skrtel competing with each other to partner Carra. It should be all 3 competing for 2 places based on merit.

Remember, Skrtel and Agger are the same age, are roommates when traveling for away games(read that somewhere), and share similar interests ie tattoos etc. I would imagine that they would be close. Arguably too they both have attributes that complement each other well on paper (and perhaps in training too).

Personally, if I was either Agger or Skrtel, and is the one left out, I would feel the same.

If its purely on merit, I would stay. But if its a given that its Carra + 1, it makes no sense to stay as the other will have to hang around until Carra retires before having a decent run. And who knows how many more years a defender like Carra can continue before retiring?

thing is though does carra deserve to be dropped? For me he is an ever present because quite simply he is a bloody great player and will go down as one of the greats at lpool, and lets not forget he's paid his dues as well in being left out or shunted into every position that needed filling

There are different quotes. On the norwegian site it says: "I know he (Benitez) really wants me to extend my contract with Liverpool".

Yeah rafa wants him to stay but as far as i was aware no contract has ever been offered to him. His moaning all stemmed from the fact that he was waiting for a contract offer. But it should be all 4 competiting for two spots not 3 guys competing for carra +1. He's 23, can easily find another TOP club, and its the world cup next season and would want to be match fit. Fuck that, if i was agger i'd leave. I personally would have carra and agger for most games but that's just me.

Carra is the best centre half at the club and beyond his playing attributes his mental ones are priceless. For me it is Skrtel or Agger alongside Carra, with Sami at fourth choice. That's still plenty of games for the two of them, Agger's missed so many as he's been injured for a long time. In a couple of years they'll get the chance to be the first choice pairing, but Carra is number 1 right now.

I'm bored of this Agger speculation.

I've given him the benefit of the doubt until now and assumed something was lost in translation, but the arrogant tone of these comments - of which there have now been several - is worryingly consistent.

Sign the contract or fuck off.

What contract?

I thought that was part of the problem, he has been promised a new contract since last summer but nothing has happened apart from talk in the press from Rafa about how he wants Agger to stay.

Well as far as I know, no-one has sat down with him with a pen and paper for him to sign.

I reckon he'll go anyway. Shame. He's class.

Carra is the best centre half at the club and beyond his playing attributes his mental ones are priceless. For me it is Skrtel or Agger alongside Carra, with Sami at fourth choice. That's still plenty of games for the two of them, Agger's missed so many as he's been injured for a long time. In a couple of years they'll get the chance to be the first choice pairing, but Carra is number 1 right now.

I'm bored of this Agger speculation.

So am I.

I'd like to keep him but he hasn't proven himself even 10% yet to merit the speculation that he himself seems intent on creating by giving divisive answers to journalists.

The only thing I'd like to hear him say is to put on record his appreciation for the club's support during his year off injured and his willingness to stay and fight for his place.

He's coming across like a twat a lot recently.

I like him and would play 3 at the back to accommodate him, on the basis that we don't have a decent full back so why play them.

However, even when fit he doesn't get a regular game so we may as well cash in.

I think "decent" is a way of describing Arbeloa and Aurelio when they're having off days.

They've been outstanding of late, and to suggest otherwise is a joke.

I didn't think Arbeloa was up to it, and hoped to see a better right back arrive in the summer (instead of Degen) and likewise, was made up with Dossena due to Aurelio being injury prone.

But they've both proved me wrong this year, and with Insua and Darby progressing well, I'm not sure it's an area that needs addressing immediately.

PS - on the Agger issue. he got his chance when Skrtel was out for 3 months. He didn't take it. Hyypia was far more impressive.

Rafa gave him his chance and he'll get another one again. But it's very hard keeping quality centre backs on the bench. Just look at United and Arsenal!

I like him and would play 3 at the back to accommodate him, on the basis that we don't have a decent full back so why play them.

However, even when fit he doesn't get a regular game so we may as well cash in.

I don't understand why people slag our fullbacks so much, Aurelio is top notch and not only kept Ronaldo in his pocket but provided steady attacks and scored a beautiful goal. That was three weeks ago, remember?

I don't understand why people slag our fullbacks so much, Aurelio is top notch and not only kept Ronaldo in his pocket but provided steady attacks and scored a beautiful goal. That was three weeks ago, remember?

Both Arbeloa and Aurelio have a run of form for a few games, but in general they are nowhere near good enough. Averaging 1 good game in 10 is not the standard required if you want to win the league.

Guest TK-421
Both Arbeloa and Aurelio have a run of form for a few games, but in general they are nowhere near good enough. Averaging 1 good game in 10 is not the standard required if you want to win the league.

Aurelio has one bad game in ten, if that.

Aurellio is the best left fullback in the league on current form, the lad always does well, hes just jinxwd with injuries.

"Yes, I know Benitez wants me to sign a new deal, so it is pretty obvious why he's giving me so much praise these days. I guess it's just a tactical game from his point of view.

Since I read this sort of thing in an english newspaper I don't think it is something I should trust wholeheartedly. For me personally it's more importatnt what he tells me face to face, rather through a newspaper".

Daniel Agger to Bold.dk

Agger kan ikke bruge Benitez-ros

I read it like he doesnt buy into anything that the press print , and why should he ? ? He'll speak to Rafa and take it from there . . . .

Be a shame if he goes , I like him .

JC is the best centre half we have end of. Its JC plus one at the minute.

Is right. Seems to me agger is playing the club far more than Owen ever did yet he (agger) appears to be getting little in the way of criticism about it.

And, if the allegation that agger has said to benitez Jay could \ should be dropped in the competition for one of the two cb berths, he's really taking the piss.

Agger's form has been abysmal this season never mind not being fit. To suggest Carragher who's been one of our most consistent performers this season, should be on an equal footing with Skrtel and agger for one of the cb berth's is laughable.

The more I read \ hear about agger and this contract saga, the more I want him out the club.

Close the door on your way out, 'mate.'

May be with Rafa getting £30m plus sales to spend this year ? he might decide to cash in on a player who is looking to double his wages who isn't a current first team regular

Seeing he has Skrtel plus Sammi and can call on Hobbs? and has a number of young CB at the club plus the ability to find a cheaper alternative he is on a sticky wicket

Agger could bring in 10-15m if he doesn't want what is on offer then he doesn't have a very strong bargaining tool

It will be a case of Rafa's way or the highway, dont forget we found 2 defenders in Vidic and Agger both at around £5m so its not like Rafa couldnt find a replacement as good a player as Agger might be.