You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Preacher. Saga is a recent one that I'm really enjoying. 

Sandman is great too, but I find the change in artists disjoint it a little, you go from the sublime to the average. Some real special stories in there though and I'm only 2 editions in. I got the Absolute editions for £30 each which was a bargain considering the quality of them. 

If you want more cape-comics, check out Batman: Cult and Batman the Long Halloween. 

• Upvote 1

Got quite a few to read now, Django Unchained in comic form looks fantastic, got the Game Of Thrones ones as well and Revival and East of West, both of which look ace. Might have a look at Saga as well.

Decided to read Irredeemable first though, and It's fantastic so far.

The series follows the fall of the world's greatest superhero, the Plutonian, as he begins slaughtering the population of Earth. His former allies, the superhero group The Paradigm, attempt to find a way to stop his rampage while dealing with their own problems of betrayal and hopelessness.

Read about ten of the 37 Irredeemable comics so far and they are brilliant. Highly recommended. The main villain in it, The Plutonian, has got Superman like powers and just flips one day and starts wiping out whole cities. It has a few flashbacks explaining what led him down this path and focuses on his former allies, The pardigm - who he is hunting down as they try to find a way to stop him.

Definitely worth a look.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post this in here instead of the TV thread so I'd hopefully get some feedback from comic book fans.. 

Has anyone watched Arrow? Some shit-muncher told me I should watch it because it was actually mint and pretty dark, but I just assumed 'Series on TV about a comic-book character that isn't a cartoon.. definitely going to be shite' and never thought about it again, but I noticed Deathstroke is in the latest episode and I'm actually interested to know what it's like now. 

I have only seen the first half of season 1 but its getting good reviews. Denny O'Niel has said that they have done a better job woth the background than FC comics ever managed.

Netflixs are doing a online matvel series soon. Michael C Hall (Dexter) is rumoured to be lined up as Matt Murdoch/Daredevil

• Upvote 1

A recent report from Marvel Cinematic Universe, a popular fan page, stated that Disney may be trying to woo former Dexter actor Michael C. Hall into the role of Matt Murdock a.k.a. Daredevil.

“EXCLUSIVE: According to a reliable source, Michael C. Hall is reportedly being courted to play Matt Murdock/Daredevil in the upcoming DAREDEVIL show on Netflix!” read the post.

The rumors have yet to be confirmed or denied by either side, but Hall is currently available since Dexter has wrapped and he is of appropriate age to play the lawyer turned blind superhero in the upcoming series.

Daredevil will be one of four Marvel properties getting a series on Netflix along with Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron fist. The shows will all be leading up to a Defenders mini series as well, which could feature the highly anticipated inclusion of Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Other names that have been thrown into the mix to play Daredevil include Jake Gyllenhaal, Josh Hartnett and former Game of Thrones star Richard Madden.

Read more at http://americanlivewire.com/2014-03-31-new-daredevil-actor/

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Halfway through the Garth Ennis run on The Punisher. Fanastic, loving it so far. Just read Afterlife with Archie which is superb as well and got either Ferals or '68 line up next. I really like the look of the art on '68, the vietnam war with zombies, what's not to like?

• Upvote 1

Afterlife with Archie is fantastic. Probably would have gotten it a bit better if I'd read any other Archie comics but it's very enjoyable. I reread Howard Chaykin's Shadow: Blood and Judgement from the 80s this weekend and am just starting the sequel. Highly recommended. Big Trouble in Little China is ace as well.

• Upvote 2

Afterlife with Archie is fantastic. Probably would have gotten it a bit better if I'd read any other Archie comics but it's very enjoyable. I reread Howard Chaykin's Shadow: Blood and Judgement from the 80s this weekend and am just starting the sequel. Highly recommended. Big Trouble in Little China is ace as well.

Yeah, I get the feeling I would have enjoyed it more if I'd read the original Archie comics, but it was still very good. I'm all over Big Trouble in little China but I'm waiting for it to be completed before I start it.

I downloaded The strain the other day as well in comic form in anticipation of the TV series. Looks good and I love Del Torro so I'll be having a look at that shortly.

• Upvote 1

Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor as a woman

Character based on the hammer-wielding god of thunder from Norse myth is swapping sex in a new series due in October

Forget David Cameron's much-heralded move to bring more women into the cabinet. Marvel Comics trumped No 10 on the same day by announcing that one of their most established male characters is changing sex.

Thor, who debuted in the Journey Into Mystery title in 1962, has also been the star of two movies in the latest Marvel big-screen series; plus he played a pivotal role in the Avengers cinematic adaptation.

It's hard to imagine a more masculine character than Thor, who is based on the god of thunder of Norse myth: he's the strapping, hammer-wielding son of Odin who, more often than not, sports a beard and likes nothing better than smacking frost giants.

However, Marvel says that a new series written by Jason Aaron with art by Russell Dauterman will re-cast Thor as a female character. The comic, launching in October, is billed by Marvel as "one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the 'big three' of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor".

Marvel editor Wil Moss said: "The inscription on Thor's hammer reads, 'Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.' Well, it's time to update that inscription. The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute – she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Jason Aaron said: "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel universe. But it's unlike any Thor we've ever seen before."

Marvel says that this, their eighth title to feature a lead female character, "aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for superhero comic books in America – women and girls".

The original Marvel take on Thor had the thunder god's superhero alter ego as disabled doctor Donald Blake, who transformed into the god by striking on the ground an ancient cane he found while hiding from invading aliens. The cane transformed into Mjölnir, conferring the god-like powers of strength and flight on Blake. Others have since held the post of Thor by being deemed suitable to wield Mjölnir in an Excalibur-ish sort of way, but so far have been all male (though one was an alien, Beta Ray Bill).

In the movies, Thor (2011), Thor: The Dark World (2013) plus The Avengers (2012) and its forthcoming sequel, the hero is played by actor Chris Hemsworth. Exactly who will fill the thunder god's boots in the comics – whether an established character or someone completely new – has not been revealed.

Marvel Comics posed – but did not answer – the questions: "Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel universe?"

Never really care for Thor anyway, although I did buy the Walt Simonson Thor omnibus for £60 because everyone said it was great. I've barely read any of it, I was put off right away by the recolouring. Looks too much like a modern comic for me and not a particularly good one. 

thorOmni_01a.jpg